close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kahr sight replacment using the P500 Unversal Sight Tool

Discussion in 'Kahr Club' started by hand cannon, Jan 24, 2008.

1. hand cannon

hand cannon

Dec 19, 2007
    I just finished replacing the sights on my P45. I have posted the before and after photos in a seperate thread. I had read that the Kahr sights were notoriously hard to remove and I believed it. So I purchased a P500 universal sight tool from Brownells to assist in the process. The P500 holds the slide of the gun in a fixed delrin-lined jaw while the sight is pushed out using an adjustable screw mechanism. I have attached photos that show the P45 slide chocked up in the tool during removal. The changeout went as planned with no problems. The factory sight did take a little effort and it "jumped" as the screw was tightened rather than walked out. The AO sight pressed in more smoothly. The total time from start to finish was ~20 minutes.

I purchased this tool for ~$110 versus the $60 plus shipping that I was quoted to send the slide to Kahr for sight replacement. Am I upside down on this purchase? Not really, I also used it to replace the sights on my P14-45 Limited and Springfield Loaded Champion, both of which would have taken some effort to do with vise, hammer, and punch. Besides I used to develop a serious pucker factor hammering on my guns.:nailbiting:

The P500 Universal Sight Tool is a winner in my book.:perfect10:

HC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    That P500 looks like a pretty sweet tool to have.

3. I previously purchased the same sight tool, it didn't have much problem with removal of sights until it ran into a Kimber dovetail... it flat wouldn't budge without "torquing" in the jig.

You might find that for the harder sights, if you take a C-clamp and use it to lock the slide in the jig top to bottom (use a leather pad to protect the slide), it will lock the slide in position much firmer to avoid the "jumping" effect of the movement as you adjust the sights.

4. hand cannon

hand cannon

Dec 19, 2007
    Lazarus63:

The instructions specifically mention Kimber sights. They must be some pretty tough critters! The manufacturer (B&J Machine) provides inserts to chuck the whole assembly in a vise, preventing distortion (left to right) of the tool as the sight is pushed out. Your suggestion to use a C-clamp to keep it snug from top and bottom is well taken! Thanks,

HC

5. sfp

sfp

Mar 8, 2006
    OREGON
    I also have a P500 Universal Sight Tool and agree that it is great. It works fine on my Kahrs and Walther, but it would not work on my friends XD.

6. Looks like great tool. My PM9 is going to for some work on Monday and I am sending along the XS big dots for them to install. I have installedthem on my Glocks with just a vice but I heard the Karhs were tough, so I figured since it had to go back to them anyway I would just let them do it.

How do you like the big dots on the Kahr?

7. hand cannon

hand cannon

Dec 19, 2007
    Cybertek:

I tried the sights out briefly today. I was interested in seeing how accurate I could shoot with the big dot sights compared to the factory ones. I bought these sights for fast sight acquisition but I just had to know if my Kahr could still shoot accurately with them. I had a little more vertical stringing than before, but I expected this given the dot size and my lack of experience with it. By the end of my short session I was able to keep my shots in a 3 inch group centered on the bullseye at 15 yards. Not bad considering the fact that the dot completely covers the bullseye at this range! Of course these sights are designed to shoot where the center of the big dot points at short distances. I am happy with the big dot sights so far. I will have to wait until I get some "real" range time to really know how well they work for the intended purpose.

HC

8. boxingref_rick

boxingref_rick

Mar 5, 2005
    SW Ohio
    Hey hand cannon.

any updates on the accurracy etc. for the Big Dot. I've got the same model kahr and I'm considering chaning also!

9. I'm a bit unfamiliar with the whole business of gun sight installation. Will this tool work on any handgun that has dove-tailed sights? I have two Kahrs, a Sig, and a CZ. It would sure be nice not to have to send each of them in whenever I wanted to upgrade the sights.

TMann

10. dstewart73

dstewart73

Jun 21, 2008
    I have had the big dot on my PM40 for about 3 years. I find them accurate and make acquiring a target much easier.
    My only very small complaint. The dot on my weapon has to be on the target, not at the 6 o'clock. It shoots exactly where the dot is placed. At distances greater than 15 yards it tends to block the target out.
    You get used to it and I have had no problem qualifying with it as a back up. We shoot out to 38 yards. I am sure this will be gun specific.

11. hand cannon

hand cannon

Dec 19, 2007
    boxingref_rick:

Dstewart's experiences mirror my own. The big dots are excellent for quick sight acquisition and follow up. On my pistol the point of impact is the center of the dot so it does cover the target, especially at longer distances. This is great for CCW but it makes it a little more difficult to blast tin cans!

HC

12. Nuclear

Nuclear

Feb 19, 2005
    SE FL
    The tool works on any dovetailed sight. I got one to drift (and later replace) the sights on a Sig (they must use hydraulic presses to put those in - I peened a brass punch trying to drift those sights). It works equally well on the Kahr sights. It just takes a bit of time to properly set up. After that, no problems.

13. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Southern US
    I have been told the later Kahr's sights are not pressed in as tight as previous guns were. I had one that was impossible to move. I sent it to Kahr.

14. chrisct

chrisct Large Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Connecticut
    What are the pushers made of? If metal, how do you avoid marring the new sights during installation?

15. Nuclear

Nuclear

Feb 19, 2005
    SE FL
    The pushers are made of coated steel. I avoided marring the sights by being careful during setup and operation. I suppose you could put something in between the sight and the pusher made of brass or delrin, but its not really necessary.

16. alnitak

alnitak

Sep 11, 2007
    Virginia
    I've considered getting one of these tools, but just can't justify the cost. I don't change the sights that much, nor do I have that many guns to fool with. However, my PM9 has shot 2-3 inches to the left at 10 yards since I got it new. Looking at the front sight, it is not centered. I really don't want to send the gun back to Kahr (after all, they misaligned the sights at the factory), but my search for a local gunsmith who has the tool has turned up empty.

By any chance, I don't suppose Nuclear or Hand Cannon live in NoVA and would let me stop by for a quick adjustment?? Anyone else out there with one of these locally?

17. hand cannon

hand cannon

Dec 19, 2007
    Alnitak:

Sorry I am west of you quite a piece or I would be happy to help.

HC

18. ddc

ddc

Feb 12, 2005
    As am I.

Question: Are all sites typically drifted in from right to left? Or are some right to left, others left to right, etc.

Thanks.

19. alnitak

alnitak

Sep 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Thanks HC, I figured it was a longshot, but what the heck...stranger things have happened.

20. DrMark

DrMark Dr Dew

May 12, 2006
    Virginia
    Why would it not work on the XD?