Kahr & ProMag?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ZombieJoe, Feb 10, 2013.

1. I want to buy a couple mags for my K9. To save some money I am planing on buying from ProMag, I have only had good experience with the company.

I have heard from a couple people that the K9 can be extra finicky with promags. Does any one have any experience, going one way or the other.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    WTS Kahr P380 w/night sights, IWB Holster Firearms Listings Sunday at 10:17 AM
    Canik trade for Kahr? General Firearms Forum Sunday at 12:04 AM
    WTS: Kahr CM9. South Florida Firearms Listings Aug 25, 2015
    Kahr pm9 with crimson trace Firearms Listings Aug 20, 2015
    WTS: Kahr PM9 DLC w. NS and Mech Tech Glock 21 SF Carbine at Gun Show 15 & 16 August. JAX, FL Firearms Listings Aug 14, 2015

3. Friends don't let friends buy promag. Bottom line.

4. 427

PROMAG

People Remember Our Magazines Are Garbage

5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Yes Promags suck.

6. How are they able to stay in business pushing crappy product all these years???

7. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Pay the few extra bucks and stick with Kahr factory mags.

8. Go ahead and get them. I have several ProMag 1911 magazines as well as Hi-Power mags that have been trouble free. I have heard the same negative talk about ProMag so I only use them as range magazines. I figure if they bobble, its all good for clearing exercises. Use the factory mags for carry after you've run some rounds through them to make sure they are OK from the get-go.
    I also have several of the Korean contract Glock magazines- seventeen rounders and 33 round 9mm mags I use in my G17 and Sub2000. I have not had ANY malfunctions with any of them. Once again, I use the Glock factory mags for carry and home duty.:wavey:

9. I always use factory mags when ever possible.
    I just found a CM9 factory mag at a shop and it was $30 I think.
    Also if you ever sell the mag, a factory mag will sell for more and faster than a after market. CDNN sells Kahr mags at a fair price.

#8 4 glocks, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  10. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

I had a promag 7 round I was using in my Kahr. It had a plastic follower. After a few boxes of ammo the follower was cracked in half. I threw it in the trash. YMMV. Save your money for factory mags.

#9 HKLovingIT, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  11. +1 for factory . If you want to have a few cheapies for the range , I guess. But I would never trust my life with one for carry .

12. I wouldn't even use promags for the range. Another vote for factory Kahr magazines. tom.:cool:

13. People like OP. Also, people who never shoot more than a few mags and get a lucky, rare, shortlived, working copy of a promag.

14. How much is your life worth?

In a critical shoot out situation, you don't need a FTF episode with your Kahr. Go with a Kahr magazine.

15. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

Just my opinion, but for any pistol other than a 1911, I don't recommend using any mag but stock (OEM). Always worked out for me.

16. Factory mags for every firearm except 1911's and AR's! When looking for aftermarket for 1911's or AR's ProMag aint even on the list.

17. Thanks for all the replies. I am going to pay the extra for factory.

18. this ^^^^^^^

19. I can not speak on ProMag as ive never owned any..but then again the reason ive never owned any is because I researched them first and never heard anything good about them so..thus I never bought any. For example for Ak74 magazines I could have gotten real expensive surplus at almost if not over $40 a magazine..and thats not happening I dont have that kind of $$ to spend NOR do I think it necessary for "non combat" applications..and there has been a distinct lack of heavy combat in the more rural north central PA setting in the past few eyars...so I looked at the alternatives

ProMag or Tapco

I didnt hear anything good about Pro Mag....and the only bad thing I really heard about Tapco was....they work fine but I dont think they would be what id want in combat////ok im not in combat so that means for range work they would work fine to me....

so IMO no to Pro Mag

plus i guess i would caveat that by asking what you use it for..if your using it for CC or things you HAVE to COUNT on it for no id not do it..if your saying..id like a few extra mags for RANGE/FUN ONLY then..I guess if they are THAT much cheaper than the factory mag..ok but they would have to be something like 1/3 the price(which in my above ecxample the Tapco mags were $14 compared to $39+shipping for the surplus military grade stuff)

#18 CBennett, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  20. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED!
    Silver Member Millennium Member
    1. Project Mayhem
    2. Show Me Glockers

That is always the smartest way to go, unless Mec-Gar made magazines for your gun. They are the only after market company that makes quality magazines for a wide variety of guns. Unlike some other companies that make great mags, but for only one type of gun. That being the M1911.

I have done the Promag thing back years ago during the AW ban. I still have 4 PM Glock magazines left that are nothing but junk. Never again.

21. p246

I bought a mini 14 that came with 6 30 rd promags. 4 had never been used. None will come close to holding 30 rds. Most start puking them back out around 22 rds. One will hold 25. My only and last experience with promag.....I'm hoping for a local hicap mag buy back program so I can get a gift certificate:rofl: