close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Just sold a glock, looking for a new gun, dont like the ccw?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by PartyBible, Jun 30, 2012.

1. PartyBible

PartyBible

Jul 3, 2009
    So I have tried a 26 with every conceivable holster and I have come to the conclusion that CCW is just a giant PITA for me. However, I do prefer to have a gun at home or in the car. I was considering a 34 or a 21. Question is, what do you guys have in the car/truck or at the house?

2. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    Try a S&W Shield for ccw.I use mine for HD too.

3. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

Sep 30, 2006
    The KelTec PF9 weighs about 12.5 ounces, is smaller than a Walther PPK, and fits in my jeans rear pocket without sticking above the pocket, and, recoil was much lower than I expected, in fact, it was downright pleasant.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
  5. Kimura

Kimura

Oct 17, 2011
    Truthfully, CCW is a giant PITA for everyone. It's more about making it as comfortable as possible. For me that means some type of OWB holster. It can be leather like a Galco Silhouette or kydex like an RCS. Either works fine for me. IWB is uncomfortable to me. And the smaller the gun, the easier it is. In the summer, I really like my Jframe S&W. But you also have to understand what you're giving up for more convenience.

Regarding HD; I think a full size pistol is the best choice. So Glock 34,17, 22, 21sf etc or Sig P series or HK45, P30, P30L, S&W M&P 40 or 45 etc etc or a quality full size 1911 like Springfield TRP or better. I would add the 20sf if you can shoot a 10mm pistol well at speed. I think every HD gun should have a rail with a light on it as well.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    It's all about your expectations.

CCW is a pain, but a G26 is pretty easy to carry.

7. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Tx
    House: FNP45 w/ 15 rounds of CorBon DPX ammo
    Car: Always - Charter Arms .44spc. Bulldog w/Critical Defense ammo
    Car Trips/Travel: G22 w/ HST 180 JHP
    CC: PPS, Rohrbaugh, G39, Nano, .40 Shield - depending on the manner of dress

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  8. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    This probably does not help but right now at home is my G26 as it is what I carried earlier today. That said a good choice for a gun at home might well be whatever you shoot best.

9. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Pocket carry -S&W 940 and an extra moon clip
    IWB (clothing dependent)- XDS and an extra 7rd mag or Sig RCS Nitron and an extra 7 rd mag
    Nightstand- Springfield LW Champion Operator, Power 10 mag, TLR1S and three more Power 10 Mags.
    Ready to go if needed- Colt LE6920 EOTech up top, 4 PMAGS loaded and a Fox 12 gauge OO buck in each barrel.

I am always carrying so whatever I have on me by default is in the car.

Can you describe what it is that isn't working about your carry choices so far? Maybe we can help. I'd hate to see you stop carrying out of frustration.

10. alexhartang

alexhartang

May 17, 2012
    ME
    How about a 23? Good capacity, great round, annnd you could still ccw it if you wanted....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I carry a SIG P229 SAS, and it's not a pain at all.

12. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Feb 22, 2002
    A good holster and good belt makes IWB carry much better.

I recommend a Crossbreed Supertuck and a Beltman belt.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  13. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    or a good owb holster could have made the difference. with an untucked shirt, no one sees my 1911.

14. PartyBible

PartyBible

Jul 3, 2009
    I've got an 870 and 6920 at home.

The problem with CCW is that I can't carry at work. So the gun is in the car at the office. The problem is I dress professionally so fitted dress shirt and slacks that would allow a carry piece don't fit right when I am not carrying. Sometimes I wear a suit but more often than not business casual. Stuffing g26 in my pants becomes a lesson redressing ones self.

One option I did not try was OWB or ankle carry. I figured just leave it in the car given my wardrobe options. Not ideal I know. The other option I looked at was purchasing a kahr for pocket carry.

15. PartyBible

PartyBible

Jul 3, 2009

This is something I am considering. I just hate the untucked dress shirt look.

16. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Ahh ok. You and I have the same issue- can't carry at work.

The way I read your first post was that you had given up on carry altogether. You just want to know for work days, what to put in the car.

I put my RCS Nitron in my vehicle every morning and take it back in when I get home. Another thing I sometimes do is take the 940 with a pocket holster in case I need to make a stop along the way to or from work.

17. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

Jul 14, 2008

As you discovered, the G26 is big and heavy enough to require a good holster and belt.

If you want the 'ultimate' (IMO) in convenience for CCW, I would suggest an Airweight or Airlite J-frame equipped with a Clipdraw. A lot of people will disagree with this, but I can practically guarantee it would fit right in with your 'lifestyle.'

I wouldn't bother with the Kahr, if I were you. For one thing, you'd be lucky to get one that works (especially if you're thinking about one of the polymer guns; on average, they suck).

HTH :wavey:

18. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Glock 19... or 23 if you prefer. That size glock does everything well. Big enough for HD or truck duty, small enough to conceal if you need to.

19. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    A 12 gauge, in the truck and by every outside door in the house.