Just sent in my VA chp application!!!

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by tim12232, Feb 17, 2012.

1. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

So as the title says, I just mailed in my VA "non-resident" CHP application today, along with the 100 dollar money order and finger prints and all that other crap:supergrin:

My question for you all is does anyone know the turn around time for non resident permits from VA? My last and only misdemeanor was 7 years ago, so I just answered no to the 5 years preceding this application question. So my app was easy and I am a law abiding citizen with no real background.

Any help is appreciated!

Tim

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Softballsaint

Lifetime Member

They tell us Va residents it takes 45 days.

3. I was just asking about this ! So how is this out of state license different from getting it in state

4. Non Resident permits are processed by the VA State Police. Resident permits are processed by the county court house. County processing time varies greatly.

VASP were getting them out in about 2 weeks a while back. But lately they have been delaying instant checks for gun purchases so I don't know how the Non-Resident CHP Processing is going.

5. Mine took just under 30 days about a year ago. The license looks like a high school student made it 10 years ago before computers were available to do it. Non resident permits have your picture on them, resident permits do not.

Love the Old Dominion.

6. I'm military so i got the resident permit and it took about two weeks. looks cheap but whatever.

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out
    CLM

Non-resident permits are good in Wisconsin.

8. Five states DO NOT honor non resident permits

FL, SC,CO, MI, NH

9. Unless you are a resident of Wisconsin.
    Why the seeming non sequitur HG?

10. So really there is not much difference. just one Might be a little quicker TAT

11. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out
    CLM

How was my answer an non sequitur?

One of the primary differences of a VA non-resident versus a VA resident is only the non-resident version is good in Wisconsin. I think that rather amusing and well within scope of the question asked.

That also means the non-resident has something actually different. The resident only goes through VA databases and the non-resident goes through NICS and that's why the non-resident is applicable in WI.

Hardly non sequitur when you think it through.

12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out
    CLM

Oh and the reason it's so amusing to me is of all the reading I've done on CCW laws and agreements the VA non-resident accepted in WI where the resident is not is the ONLY case I'm aware of where that condition exists.

Everywhere else, as was pointed out, denies non-resident permits and allows resident permits if they make the distinction.

That the OP was talking about VA permit made that an issue to be publicly amused about.

13. I will be getting this non resident permit too. Texas accepts the Virginia non resident license- it is cheaper and easier to get than the Texas permit. It is about a 100 cheaper overall and does not require 8 hrs of class time like the Texas permit does.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

14. Because I forgot that WI doesn't accept VA resident licenses.

15. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

Did they send you a receipt in the mail after receiving your payment? How long did that take? I am at 9 days now since they received the package "usps tracking"

Tim

16. yes, they did send a letter stating my bank check had been received. I don't recall how long it took to get that.

17. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

Day 10, and my money order is still open.
    I've tried calling the VA state police but can never get ahold of anyone.
    My only concern is that USPS showed delivered on 02-20-12 which was presidents day and
    I know that the post office doesn't deliver on presidents day.
    I'm probably worrying over nothing.

18. Bingo. Be patient. VSP has done this before.

19. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

I do have the post office checking delivery just because I dont trust a "Presidents day" delivery status!

20. tim12232

tim12232 Pistolero

Finally received my receipt of payment! But it says processing time is estimated at 10-12 weeks from receipt of letter.

I sure hope it doesnt take 10-12 weeks!