close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just renewed my passport and surprise!

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by beforeobamabans, Feb 1, 2013.

1. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans
    Expand Collapse
    FYPM

The cover is noticeably stiffer on the new passport book. I find this statement on the back page:

"This document contains sensitive electronics. For best performance, do not bend, perforate or expose to extreme temperatures."

Hmmm.....

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. IvanVic

IvanVic
    Expand Collapse

This isn't new, it happened a long time ago. It's an RFID chip that stores the same data displayed on the page of your passport that has your photograph. It works like a barcode.

3. aircarver

aircarver
    Expand Collapse
    Ride Continues
    Silver Member

Get a tinfoil wallet ...

4. pugman

pugman
    Expand Collapse

Dear Federal Government,

Define "Best performance."

Sincerely,

Your Subjects

So here is my question. Before bends and breaks the chip; the electronic information is destroyed 1) Is the passport still good? 2) Will it be more difficult to use when crossing the border.

5. skew12

skew12
    Expand Collapse

Nuke it.

6. railfancwb

railfancwb
    Expand Collapse

RFID chips can be scanned at a distance by anyone with the necessary commercial device. Makes an efficient way to steal identities. Probably makes it easier to pass counterfeit passports, as acceptable scanned data will make the gatekeepers pay less attention to paper information.

Passport wallets with metal mesh shielding are readily available at Walmart and other fine retailers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. The Fed

The Fed
    Expand Collapse

They have scanners that read the RFID info on the "chip" to see if it matches the printed pages. Not sure if that includes the picture. I figure someone who knows what they're doing can duplicate that anyway. I don't know if it's merely to speed thing up at border crossings or to make them more secure.

When you travel with it get yourself a metal wallet for it or wrap it in tinfoil for real, since anyone can buy or put together a scanner that reads it. Even the Feds are requiring their employees to do it.

http://www.theinfomine.com/2010/08/31/why-you-should-protect-your-passport-from-rfid-readers/

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa
    Expand Collapse

were these the "chips" that were made overseas?

no one in the USA "could make them" and it would have made it

more difficult for the terrorists to buy in bulk.

gotta love govt security.

9. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Not 100% sure, but the RFID blocking wallets use steel. The one I have works. We use RFID pass keys to get into the procedure area at work, and if the card is in the wallet, the wall unit can't read it. It has a leather exterior. Thinkgeek.com is one of my favorite gadget sites, they have them.

10. The Fed

The Fed
    Expand Collapse

You could be right. I just tried wrapping my cell phone in a layer of tin foil - it still rang when I called it. But that might just be because the signal is much stronger.

Can you try tin foil on your ID cards?

#10 The Fed, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  11. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Most people have aluminum foil at home.

Go get some tin foil and see if that works.

Might want to check this out too.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

#11 Cavalry Doc, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  12. BMH

BMH
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Thinkgeek is out of the RFID blocking passport billfolds. It doesn't look like they're going to restock anytime soon.

13. czsmithGT

czsmithGT
    Expand Collapse

You don't need it.

14. czsmithGT

czsmithGT
    Expand Collapse

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_2788.html#Twelve

Will someone be able to read or access the information on the chip without my knowledge (also known as skimming or eavesdropping)?

We feel that it would be good to point out what we have done to diminish the known nefarious acts of “skimming” data from the chip, “eavesdropping” on communications between the chip and reader, “tracking” passport holders, and “cloning” the passport chip in order to facilitate identity theft crimes.

Skimming is the act of obtaining data from an unknowing end user who is not willingly submitting the sample at that time. Eavesdropping is the interception of information as it moves electronically between the chip and the chip reader.

“Skimming.” We use an embedded metallic element in our passports. One of the simplest measures for preventing unauthorized reading of e-passports is to add RF blocking material to the cover of an e-passport. Before such a passport can be read, it has to be physically opened. It is a simple and effective method for reducing the opportunity for unauthorized reading of the passport at times when the holder does not expect it.

“Skimming and Eavesdropping.” We have adopted Basic Access Control (BAC) to minimize the risk of “skimming” and “eavesdropping.” Basic Access Control requires that the initial interaction between the embedded microchip in the passport and the border control reader include protocols for setting up the secure communication channel. To ensure that only authorized RFID readers can read data, Basic Access Control stores a pair of secret cryptographic keys in the passport chip. When a reader attempts to scan the passport, it engages in a challenge-response protocol that proves knowledge of the pair of keys and derives a session key. If authentication is successful, the passport releases its data contents; otherwise, the reader is deemed unauthorized and the passport refuses read access. This control would require the receiving state to read the passport machine-readable zone (MRZ) to unlock and read the data on the chip. The MRZ information is used for computing the encryption and message authentication keys used for the “secure” exchange. BAC mollifies the possibility of both “skimming” and “eavesdropping.”

15. czsmithGT

czsmithGT
    Expand Collapse

This is not true for passports

16. czsmithGT

czsmithGT
    Expand Collapse

1- Yes
    2- No

17. smokeross

smokeross
    Expand Collapse
    GTDS Member #49

Do not fold, bend, staple, or mutilate. And don't remove that mattress label either. Severe penalties result.

18. czsmithGT

czsmithGT
    Expand Collapse

If you mutilate or remove a page this can invalidate the passport.

19. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Post sale, the mattress label is legal to remove.

20. W420Hunter

W420Hunter
    Expand Collapse

Commercial? Hell with a old school TV antenna and a few other basic computer parts you can hack evrything from RFID to Bluetooth .