close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Just purchased some Winchester Ranger bonded!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by joepa150, Jan 27, 2010.

1. joepa150

joepa150

Nov 2, 2009
    For about 2 weeks I have been in the market for some Hollowpoint defense ammo and I finally bought some.

I purchased some Winchester Ranger Bonded 147gr RA9B. I couldn't find them on Winchester's website except for it on the ballistic comparison page. I have read that they are the same as Supreme Elite PDX1 (except they come in a box of 50 not 20 and marked law enforcememnt). Although I wanted something in 124gr, I think these are supposed to be pretty good.

The other available options were
    Federal Hydra-shok124gr and 147 gr (50 count)
    Fiocchi Extrema XTP 147gr (50 count)
    Speer Gold Dots 115gr (20 count)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 +p and 147 (25 count)

Any opinions on my choice? Should I try and call ammunitiontogo and see if I can switch these out for the 124grn Hydra-shok or the 124 +p Golden Sabers instead?

2. granitemonkey

granitemonkey

Dec 29, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    I wouldnt, especially for hydra-shoks. The Ranger Bonded is a far superior round. You did good, its ok.

3. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    There are a number of excellent JHP self-defense rounds available. I try to match the round with the pistol; that is, select the round that always fires and achieves the recommended penetration, is accurate, has reliable expansion, and imparts the best shooting characteristics for that gun/ammo combination. I think these considerations are far more important than focusing on one or two facets of a particular round.

I have three different pistols and use a different carry round in each, made by three different manufacturers. That's just the way it has worked out so far for me. Some people have their best results with a single round in multiple pistols.