Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Just paid for my Gen4 G23...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mrstrau, Oct 23, 2012.

1. I just got back from paying for my Glock 23 Gen4 at my local gun shop...the painful part being I couldn't take it with me after dropping just about $600 dollars. The reason: Still waiting on my permit. I live in New York unfortunately, and its coming up on 11 months and still no word.

I live in Dutchess county, which is notorious for slow pistol permit applications. I applied in January of this fingerprinted September 10th, and now I'm waiting 4 to 6 months for that to process.

Once my permit comes in the mail, I can go to the Sheriff's office and show them the invoice for my paid Glock. Then I wait 1 to 3 weeks for them to register the gun, and once that is done I'll get a coupon in the mail which allows me to go to my gun shop and finally pick up my first glock.

Really wish I got on this as soon as I turned 21, I would have had the damn thing by now.

Anyone else deal with ridiculous wait times for a pistol permit? Longer? Shorter? Trying to build a consensus of how easy it is to get a hold of a handgun in other parts of the USA.

FYI: No record, one arrest when I was younger over some stupid crap but it was sealed and dismissed as it was my first offense. I don't think that's the reason it's taking me so long though.

Damn laws...I know people who walk into a store and can walk out an hour later with a handgun. Gotta get out of NYS...
  2. 11Bravo20

11Bravo20 Grunt Member

Apr 19, 2003
    Move to Maine like I did....Walk in....Walk out 10 minutes later with the gun of your choice.

My CCW permit went like this....Go to the local PD show him my DD-214 (DD-214 for combat MOS to avoid taking CCW class) fill out a page of paperwork...wait 12 days....Pick up my CCW license...Go to staples and laminate it.

I feel your pain! I am originally from Massachusetts.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

3. It's crazy that even someone like you, who was (is?) a service member, trained in combat, still has to deal with any laws.

Massachusetts is just as bad as NYS, but from what I read Dutchess county in NY is now the longest wait in NY for a CCW. I'm all for required training, but it really shouldn't take this long. I'll be lucky if I get my gun by December or January.

I gotta get to a better state. I have cousins in Maine who have literal armories, very few restrictions in Maine. Great state to boot.
  4. 11Bravo20

11Bravo20 Grunt Member

Apr 19, 2003
    I was a gulf war vet, Panama vet and served in two Infantry regiments with the 101st Airborne Division. When I got out of the Army I went home to Massachusetts and they made it almost impossible for me to obtain my CCW permit. I then packed up and

5. Firstly, respect for what you did. I come from a military family but due to a lot of internal family issues I was never bred to join the military, took the college path and now I'm sort of regretting it in this economy.

I feel that anyone who was a LEO/Military should have auto-access to CCWs. There's no reason not too..responsible/trained civilians and responsible ex-mil or ex-LEO guys are basically free cops..decent people who legally obtained a CCW to protect themselves, their family or their community.

We're too protectionist these days :/
  6. In Ohio you walk into the gunshop pick out your gun, they call The FBI background check and you take it home 2 min later. All in the same day.. I could never live in the Peoples Republic of NY
  7. CAT 1000B

CAT 1000B

Jul 17, 2007
    I'm from Indiana. We have Lifetime Carry licenses. It took me about 2 months to go through the process before I received it and now I never have to go through it again. We used to have to have it renewed every 4 years before the lifetime licenses became available. I can also walk into a gun shop and pick out my gun, fill out form 4473, have my instant background check done and walk out the door with it. This takes all of about 10 minutes.
  8. OhioGlock90

Sep 1, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    I also live in Ohio and it is nice if you know what you want you can walk in to the shop and within 4 to 6 mins walk out with your new gun. Makes it real easy and nice. I have to imagine the waiting period discourages people from buying a gun. I just took my ccw class that wasnt to bad either. !2 hours, then i have to set a meeting at the Sheriffs office, fill out paper work and wait a week or so.
  9. theSteve

Jun 17, 2012
    Just move to Arizona, five minute process to buy a gun and you don't even need a CCW here to conceal carry.
  10. Irish Stout

Irish Stout

Oct 4, 2012
    West Michigan
    To purchase a handgun in Michigan you have to go to your local police dept and get a permit to buy. Took me all of 5 minutes. Then go to gun shop and walk out with your choice of pistols.

CCW permits, once class is completed, take anywhere from 1-3 months to process depending on which county. Certainly nothing as horrible of a process as NY.
  11. hsprincipal

Nov 19, 2011
    This is ridiculous. In KY I show them my CCW, fill out the form, pay and walk out the door. No background check. I would move to a free state.
  12. wolf1956

Dec 12, 2010
    I glad that I'm down south. Here in TN. you pick out your handgun and when you pass the background check, which only takes a few minutes, you are walking out the door with your new handgun. And you don't have to have a carry permit to do so.
  13. Tx-SIG229

Aug 30, 2011
    my home town being Md (no CCW.. and yeah, I'm ex military too), it was weird moving to Texas and buying guns here - fill out paperwork, pay for it and then you're out the door :)
  14. johnson8861

johnson8861 Daddo Chomper

$600 dollars for a 23? Yikes! I paid $589 for my brand new 24C. Glad I am not in New York.
  15. Irish Stout

Irish Stout

Oct 4, 2012
    West Michigan
    If you have MI ccw then you can pay and walk out the door too.
  16. gunsmoke92

Jul 22, 2005
    Rigby, Idaho
    Tell you what, go get your money back, move to Idaho, we'll build a wall around NY, and I'll show you where you can pick up a new 23 with night sights for $575. In Idaho, you walk in, find your gun, they make the call (if you have a CCW they won't even do that), fill out the paperwork, pay your money, and leave (hopefully to go shoot your new toy). CCWs are easy as Idaho is a shall issue state. If you're problem free, $56, fill out the application, normally within a couple weeks the Sheriff has signed it and you get your permit, good for 5 years and $45 to renew.:cool:

Come on Man, do it, you know you want to. :)
  17. seems everywhere is easier to get a gun then here in ******* NY.

I really want to move mid-west, Colorado is my dream state, but I've been hearing that some intense gun-control laws were going to be hitting the books soon...I guess I'll have to keep my ears open.

And btw, 600 bucks was actually cheaper than most people here in NY (Mil and LEO excluded) would get one. I frequent my local shop and the guys there know me pretty well, and also know how to keep people coming back. He hooked me up and knocked about 50 bucks off the ticket price...I paid 565 before tax.

I'm jelly of all you guys in free states....
  18. zachm

May 27, 2012
    queen creek arizona
    this is true, its hot as hell but the carry laws make up for it. :cool:
  19. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    You may consider moving next door to Vermont same laws as Arizona,purchase it,carry it concealed out the door,any kind of ammunition you choose any magazine capacity you choose,gee isn't that much the same as those old guys who penned the US Constitution had in mind.
    On second thought strike that idea,Winters in Arizona are much nicer. Just a thought ! SJ 40
  20. Thought about Arizona....just too desert-y for me lol. I'm a mountain guy, grew up in the Hudson Valley so I'm gonna need mountains when I go west...Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Minnesota, Montana.

Somewhere out there.

Can anyone suggest any non-resident permits that will work with a NY CCW?

Just trying to maximize my carry-ability...