close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Just ordered reloading stuff (moved from Lounge)

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by deerhuntr88, Jul 17, 2011.

1. deerhuntr88

deerhuntr88 OD Green G19

Nov 30, 2010
    Roanoke, Va
    Just ordered everything I need for reloading (I think) Please let me know if there's anything else I need.

- Lee Breech lock Challenger Reloading kit which includes:

*Auto Prime XR Priming Tool with a set of 11 Auto Prime Shell Holders
    *Perfect Powder Measure with stand
    *Safety Powder Scale, powder funnel
    *case cutter with lock stud to trim cases
    *an inside/outside case neck chamfer/deburring tool
    *primer pocket cleaner and a tube of premium resizing lube
    *one Breech Lock Quick-Change Die Bushing.

- Berry's preferred plated bullets
    - CCI 500 Small Pistol Primers
    - Bullseye Powder
    - Lee 9mm 3 die set
    - Cabela's model 400 tumbler kit
    - 100 rd ammo box
    - bullet puller hammer
    - digital caliper from amazon
    - lyman's #49 reloading manual

I think I got everything in there. How am I looking guys? Spent right at $300 maybe a little more...

Any other Newbie tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm doing as much research as I can too...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    You done good. You have some things that you don't need for 9mm, like the case trimmer, chamfer tool, primer pocket cleaner, case lube (ASSuming you got carbide dies).

Don't load big batches. Really, I would use the start load data (lowest) in the Lyman manual and only make ten rounds. 9mm's can be a little underpowered at start data to cycle the gun. Load your ten and see how they do. If they cycle, make 100 of them and you should be good to go. You can work up higher towards the max load if you want, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to do that unless it is necessasy to go that hight to cycle the gun.

Keep it simple. Stick with one powder and one bullet until you get the hang of things. Ignore the ensuing dogpile to get you using different bullets and powders until you have loaded a thousand rounds successfully.

3. Great advice.

Have fun and be safe.

4. deerhuntr88

deerhuntr88 OD Green G19

Nov 30, 2010
    Roanoke, Va
    Thanks guys, once I get used to reloading, I'm gonna start doing .40 and .270 as well.

Good thing about the trimmer and other stuff is that it'll come in handy when I get to doing .270 ammo.

5. PhantomF4E

PhantomF4E

Aug 24, 2010
    South Florida
    Welcome to the club. A great and worthwhile hobby !!! Hopefully we don't become a National Treasure any time soon !!!!! But the skills are, pass it on. I am fixing to start teaching both of my sons so they at least know how.

6. RustyFN

RustyFN

Sep 29, 2006
    West Virginia
    Looks good. Congratulations and welcome to reloading.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Other than the scale, I think you'll be happy w/ that... :)

Just cuz I'm impatient and lazy, I'd probably get an Auto Disk Pro, so I can expand/powder drop at the same time... :)

Best of luck!

8. deerhuntr88

deerhuntr88 OD Green G19

Nov 30, 2010
    Roanoke, Va
    Yea, I'll probably end up getting a digital scale in the near future...

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    If you're gonna get a cheap digital, just get a quality beam. (Notice I said quality beam, which the Lee scale is not). Dillon Eliminator will run you about $55... that's a steal for the quality of scale that it is.

10. Dasglockenspiel

Dasglockenspiel

Jan 20, 2011
    Deerhunter88:

Congratulations on a great array of gear. And yes, it appears that you have most everything you may need.

I still use the little Lee balance Scale and find it about as accurate as the low priced digital scales. + / _ .1 gr (ish).

The Primer Pocket Tool may help if you stumble into WCC "headstamped" 9mm brass due to their crimped and thus undersized primer pockets.

Lastly, if you don't have it get a copy of ABCs of reloading it is well worth it.

Enjoy,

Dasglockenspiel

11. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
  12. AZson

AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    Tucson
    Congrats, you might want to buy more ammo boxes, their cheap and 100 is not enough.
    You also might want to buy a 9mm factory die crimper. Makes your ammo more reliable.
    Unless you are planing to reload rifle rounds you wont need the case cutter or chamfer tool, 9mm case normally dont change they just crack after a few times.
    Also leave the spent primers in when you tumble the brass, they will keep the matter out of the primer holes.
    I reload, 9mm, 40s&w, 38spl, 45 gap, 357 sig and just starting on .223.
    I'm making some of my own killer .223s with 75gr bullets.
    The .45 gap is whole reason I started reloading, that and I was shooting competitively with my G35

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  13. deerhuntr88

deerhuntr88 OD Green G19

Nov 30, 2010
    Roanoke, Va
    Here's a newb question: What happens when I load my bullet, and my OAL is too long? Can I just adjust my die and push it down farther? Or would I have to pull the bullet and pretty much start again?

I ask because I know the die crimps when it seats the bullet, so I didn't know if just adjusting the die and pushing it farther would be possible or a good thing to do.

14. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    With a jakceted bullet, you can seat them further. With a cast bullet, it might bugger up the part of the bullet where it meets the case, but they should still shoot fine. With a plated bullet, the plating will very likely tear and that would likely give you crappy groups.

How long are we talking about here? See if the drop in and out of your barrel easily. If they do, and they fit in your magazine, they aren't too long.

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Anyone going to state the obvious.

We already have a Deerhunter. He's not around much but having two is going to get confusing. I know we couldn't handle two Gios or two Wiskys.

16. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I'll state it, we have one too many Steves:whistling:

17. sig357fan

sig357fan

Apr 8, 2008
    SW OH
    set your OAL first, with out a crimp, then back off the seating stem and set your crimp, then with the round raised into the die with the crimp set, adjust the seating stem until it contacts the bullet, you should be go to go.

you can then make small adjustments to dial it in to your liking.

be sure to do as Wisky T suggested and use your barrel as a "go-no go" gauge.

sig357fan

18. deerhuntr88

deerhuntr88 OD Green G19

Nov 30, 2010
    Roanoke, Va
    Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. I can't wait till it all comes in!

19. AZson

AZson

Oct 5, 2005
    Tucson
    I've seated my bullet a little deeper a few times after I had crimped them, I have not seen any problems with it, but if you are concerned with it, then again I would suggest the LEE FDC, because the crimp will not be applied until the fourth stage which that is where the FCD would be.
    The LFDC crimps and sizes the whole round down to factory specs.