close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Just "ordered" a TRP...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by QNman, Jan 29, 2013.

1. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  2. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I pick it up tomorrow. :supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I wouldn't put the XSE in the same class as the other two, my friend. :cool:

4. LawScholar

LawScholar

Aug 23, 2011
    Wyoming
    I think the only person I'd listen to more closely about 1911s is JMB. Noted, sir, and thank you.

Out of curiosity, does Colt make one in the same league? Combat oriented rather than target?

5. Wyoming

Wyoming

Feb 3, 2007
    Southwest Wyoming
    I happen to agree with you on Colts 1911's. However our friend "Scooter" doesn't. I am not sure fnfalman wants to get in a 1911 war of words with you but if he does........

:popcorn:

I know you won't let me down.:thumbsup:

6. I always thought of Colt as *take a $1000 gun, slap their name on it, charge $1800*

7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    They're both factory. Only thing changed in those pics were the front sights, triggers and flush crowned barrels. :cool:

8. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Well... Here she is. I think I'm in love and I haven't even taken her out yet.

[​IMG]

9. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Very nice. Go shoot it until the 20lpi checkering turns your hand white!!

:supergrin:

10. happy seal

happy seal

Apr 12, 2007
    Connecticut
    Nice Qnman, You better get yourself a reloading kit if you don't already have one to support your new addiction. I am looking for a reloading kit - hint hint hint!

11. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    LOL. I have been reloading .45 ACP for about five years to feed my G21 habit. :supergrin:

12. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Update with range report:

After firing the TRP, I can report much happiness...

I ran it next to my Sig 1911, so that's what I was comparing it to. The Sig has a nice trigger. A little bit more take-up than I like, and a little stacking at the end, but nothing horrible.

The TRP is like breaking the proverbial glass rod. That trigger is BUTTER.

The Sig is not a light gun... it is a full frame stainless with light rail. However, without having put them on the scales, there is no doubt in my mind the TRP weighs more. Not objectionably so, but undoubtedly more.

The front strap - both are proclaimed to be 20 LPI checkering. However, there is no comparison in the hand; the TRP grips WAY more than the Sig. The Sig feels... er, "abrasive", but not "sharp". The TRP feels SHARP. I was joking with a friend that I could soak my hand in 5W-30 and still maintain a good grip on this thing. I have soft, office hands, because... well, because I work in an office. I hit a keyboard all day most days. Still, while rough, after about 3-minutes shooting it, I quit noticing it so much.

The Sig holds a decent grouping - about 3 inches at 10-yards, freehand.

The TRP does about the same (no, I don't pretend that is the guns accuracy - just how I shoot it. I am certain the TRP can beat that).

Double-taps is what separates the two... With the Sig on an 8-inch target, I can hit both rounds in the target about half the time. The other half the time, I pull high - sometimes high right, sometimes high left, sometimes high center, but always high.

With the TRP - ALL shots stayed WITHIN the 8-inch target. I tried this with 40-rounds in a row (Four 10-round magazines, double-tap). NO fliers off the target. In fact, VERY FEW outside the 8-ring. I attribute this to the sweet trigger, the grippy front strap, and the mass of the TRP.

I am currently out of hollowpoints, so I was unable to test it for feeding (neither had a single hiccup with plated Berrys). However, I DID pick up some sweet SWC's today, so once I get those rolled up, it may be a "next step" testing. If I can find some flying ashtrays, I'll test those too.

All in all, the TRP has moved to the front of the class in my gun safe.

13. I highly recommend the 10-8 .156 wide rear sight. Makes the TRP perfect.

14. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan

Nice "Bac-like" camera angle!!:rofl::rofl:

15. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    That was the inspiration...:whistling:

16. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Awesome! :cool:

It looks great and I'm glad you like it.

As for the weight, its a hefty 1911. In fact, its the heaviest 1911 I own.

17. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :animlol:

18. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Update: VZ grips. Pardon the amateurish photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Sweet. Grippy, but not 60-grit.