close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just ordered a set of Anti walk pins

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by M&P Shooter, Mar 12, 2012.

1. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter
    Expand Collapse
    Metal Member

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Nope, I have never used them, and don't see a need for them unless your AR decides to start spitting out pins.

:dunno:

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

The biggest benifit to these is they keep the pisn from ROTATING.
    If you watch, most pins will rotake in the receiver as the trigger is cycled.

Some think they are needed, some do not. While they may not
    be needed, it's cheap insurance.

4. LA_357SIG

LA_357SIG
    Expand Collapse
    Milspectacular

I use DPMS anti-walk pins on one of my builds. I broke a standard hammer pin with a .22lr upper. (It is common.) It onlt cost $5.99 plus shipping and the C-clips never once fell off during "hard" use with the .22lr upper, 7.62x39mm piston, or 5.56 uppers.

5. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

I like them for what they are. I have only seen trigger pins walk ONE TIME. And that was with an old Colt M16A2 that I had and the damn thing was worn to crap.

I put them on all my Noveske SBR'd AR's though.

I do it mainly because I started the trend with one... then another... then another... so now it just basically helps me tell the non-SBR lower Noveske's from the SBR ones. That and they look cool and we all like to do that.... :whistling:

:wavey:

6. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Oh and now for some darn reason I have developed this new thing of placing my finger on the KNS pin when not on the trigger. Kind of like my new "finger rest" I guess.

I don't know when I started doing it but when I grab one of my standard ARs I seem to notice b/c my finger is missing "The KNS finger rest".

:rofl:

7. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter
    Expand Collapse
    Metal Member

Some say they are a waste of money:upeyes: How is spending $30 a waste of money to insure a $1000 set up doesn't have a pin walk? Also for $30 they look very nice, I have already spent $70 on 1911 grips to have a nice look.

8. Patriot III

Patriot III
    Expand Collapse

This.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

:supergrin: I've installed a few sets just to have the "finger rest"!

11. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

Just to point out if you happen to have a Geissele trigger... Do not install anti rotation pins of any brand on you lower...

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

No experience with the Geissele triggers,......
    Can you explain why no KNS trigger pins?

13. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

We use the KNS pins in our full auto recievers to keep the pin holes from getting wallered out. They are transferable recievers and when they're gone, they're gone.

#13 Travclem, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  14. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter
    Expand Collapse
    Metal Member

They do both jobs, pins can walk sideways, it's rare but it happens in older well shot AR's sometimes but yes the pins eliminate rotation which gives a more consistent trigger pull every time.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I can agree with that, however, please realize what
    the KNS pin set it ACTUALLY designed to do.

99% of the pins that do walk out of the receiver are from
    improperly installing the hammer spring

#15 faawrenchbndr, Mar 13, 2012
  16. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I first heard this through Rainier Arms when inquiring, called Geissele to confirm... Adco has a very good explanation here is a link.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/Geissele_KNS.cfm

17. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

That is interesting info. Not sure about the "softer pin" portion of that as the KNS pins I have installed (All GenII) appear to be pretty darn hard. Harder than a DPMS trigger pin I would be willing to bet. The lower is made of Aluminum vs the KNS pins that are stainless I can pretty much say with all certainty there is no logic behind Stainless peeling off because of Aluminum lower rubbed on it. The KNS pins also come in different sizes so if you're an idiot and don't get the correct size (ie. original civilian/le Colt rifles use smaller pin diameter than the current ones) then that would be your fault for playing gunsmith.

And though I like KNS pins, like Woodenplank pointed out one does not logically really "Need" them until one's lower starts to walk pins. Then you could always add them to save your lower and keep it functioning basically forever.

:wavey:

EDIT: Or you want to be pert of the cool club and have an extra $32/shipped to spend on your lower. Once you start putting them in it seems (at least with me) you do it on all of your favorite ARs.

:rofl:

#17 Javelin, Mar 13, 2012
  18. bruce99

bruce99
    Expand Collapse

I am new to AR's, actually, to all firearms. I bought a Spikes Tactical, 5.56, AR-15, and have about 1500 rounds through it. I don't know if this is relevant, but it has a Timmney, 4 pound, single stage trigger in it.

After my last visit to the range, I took it apart to clean it. When finished, I reassembled it and did a function check. The trigger didn't work. Being new to this, I thought, "ok, what have I done now?" Then I noticed the hole where the trigger pin should have been. The trigger pin was on the floor, beside my chair.

After speaking with a few friends whose opinions I value, I ordered the KNS Anti Rotation Pins. They'll be here next week. I hope this solves the issue. The rifle hasn't been used since the pin fell out.

19. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Bruce99,

The trigger pin is held in place by the hammer's spring legs.
    Check for proper installation of the hammer's spring.

20. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter
    Expand Collapse
    Metal Member

So it's now consider a joke if someone has the extra money to spend to add anti rotation pins to their AR that don't hurt anything but only make the receiver a little more perfect. The pins A. stop pins from walking in full auto AR's that get extremely hot B. semi auto's that have been shot too death and the receiver pin holes become a little worn from constant rotation. If the pins in a person's AR never walk there's still nothing wrong with wanting a piece of mind and never have to worry about a pin walking when needed:upeyes:

I guess it was a waste of money that I added rubber O-Ring washers to my 1911 grip screws and when I added a lock washer to my Magpul pistol grip because my PSA lower kit didn't come with one:upeyes:

#20 M&P Shooter, Mar 13, 2012