close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Just made a guide rod out of a nail.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by TN.Frank, May 26, 2012.

1. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Guy over on another forum lost the guide rod for his PK380. I was looking at mine when I cleaned the gun today and it looked for all the world like you could make up one pretty easily out of a proper size nail. Well, found a nail about the right size and with the help of my drill motor, Dremel and some files and sand paper I made up one that works like a charm. Who says you always need factory parts, LOL
    [​IMG]

2. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

I suspect the original guide rod may have been hardened.

In an emergency, you do what you have to do........but, I'd get OEM parts for something I depend on for survival.

I sometimes tell the story of how I used a paperclip for a cotter key on the tail rotor of a helicopter.......This was in the field, and no parts were available at the moment of need, so you do what you gotta do in circumstances like that.........

ooc

Last edited: May 26, 2012

3. NDCent

NDCent Socially Inept

Mar 19, 2010
    Ozarks
    Looks like you nailed it. :whistling:

Good job, I think you might have too much free time on your hands this holiday. :supergrin:

4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    I give it 2 or 3 shots before it bends out of shape.

5. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
  6. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I don't know, it's not all that long so it's pretty stiff and even the stock one doesn't look like it's too "high tech" IMHO. I'm sure the mild steel that the nail is made out of is as good for this application as anything else you could use. Heck, they're using aluminum, plastic, all sorts of stuff for guide rods.
    This is what happens to guys who use to be Machinists who end up with too much time on their hands. They start making stuff weather they need it or not.LOL

7. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I once spent a chunk of a weekend making a firing pin for a single shot shotgun out of a broken drill rod.

8. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    As a current machinist, I hear ya. :cool:

I do however suspect that the flared/head end might start bending over time. Not going to call how many shots it will take but I'm betting it will.

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  9. Most parts are annealed as well as hardened so they last longer. It looks good but I'm not going to bet on how long it will last.

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Years ago I made a "zip-gun" out of an ink pen. It actually worked,
    But it did not end well,........nails have no place in a firearm.

Just because you CAN, does not mean you SHOULD!

11. KennyFSU

KennyFSU What to wear...

Mar 14, 2011
    Florida
    ^ Words of wisdom right there. Although a "MacGuyver" gun pen sounds awesome, .22LR I presume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Yes sir,..........highly illegal & was damn near a grenade. One shot use only.

13. joecoastie

joecoastie

Feb 4, 2009
    STL
    :rofl:

14. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    Yep, I should be able to "nail" the center of the target with every shot.
    As to "Why?", just to see if I could, no other reason.

15. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Dec 30, 2011
    Troy, MI
    Let me know when you go the range to try it out, I don't want to be there!:supergrin:

16. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    I don't know why everyone is so afraid of this part. It's not like it's under a lot of stress during shooting, basically it just keeps the spring straight while the slide is moving. For God sake, Glock uses PLASTIC and has never had a problem. I'm sure steel is much stronger then plastic.
    I'm sure if you can drive a nail like I made this out of into a piece of wood with repeated blows from a hammer without it bending it'll be fine as a non-stressed part used to keep the recoil spring on track.

17. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    It's not about being scared,......it's about engineering!