close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

just got my first ar. a couple ?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by saylor, Jan 21, 2013.

1. saylor

saylor

Apr 20, 2009
    i know i picked the wrong time to buy,but i got one.it is a colt mt6400 not exactly what i wanted but i couldnt find the 6920 this one came in and i took it.my question is when i can find a milspec buffer tube for a collapsable stock can i reuse my spring and buffer or do i need a different one.(my stock looks adj but is pinned.)i called colt and they did tell me the gun was milspec.sorry if this is a dumb ? but trying to learn.thanks

2. If it is a short buffer tube (for the collapsible stock) it will work. If it is a fixed stock tube you will need to replace it.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy it.

3. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Any milspec receiver extension will work, it's just a matter of finding one in stock. Looked at a couple of my usual haunts and everyone's sold out. Do you know how many rounds are on the gun? If round count isn't known you may just want to get the kit with a new spring/buffer. Extension is around $35 with the kit around $75 or so depending on brand.

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Depending on how it's assembled and pinned, you may already have a carbine buffer tube, and just need to undo the pinning job on the stock.

That said, replacing or unpinning your stock may put you in violation of your state's laws, depending on where you live. Make sure to check and make sure collapsible stocks on new rifles are legal in your area.

5. saylor

saylor

Apr 20, 2009
    i guess ill try to find the whole kit because i dont know if it is a short tube or not.it looks like a collapasable but doesnt move.to the second poster it hasnt been fired only test fired by colt.now if i can only find some ammo,then a mag or two.

6. sappy13

sappy13

Sep 30, 2007
    Bremen, GA
    im in the same boat you are. I got a colt 6721 with a a2 fixed stock and I want to start dressing it in some olive drab green furniture. I need to get the buffer tube and all the parts needed for a collapsible. I can find the stock i want in milspec and the stock kit parts in commercial, but cant find both in the same. Its not what im looking for, but i found this in stock.

http://www.core15rifles.com/core15-commercial-stock-kit-2134.html

Is there any real difference in who makes the tube and the actual buffer itself? Mines just for casual plinking and home defense if ever needed.

7. saylor

saylor

Apr 20, 2009
    i can see the pins but my tube isnt drilled out for the notches.its legal here in TN.just hard to find any parts right now.

8. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    OP, a little google-fu seems to indicate that your buffer tube is not a standard carbine tube, and will need to be replaced to install a standard collapsible stock. Your action spring and buffer can be reused in the new tube, however.

That is somewhat dated info, though, so your mileage may vary.

9. saylor

saylor

Apr 20, 2009
    hey thanks.i was hoping to reuse. the guy i spoke to at colt said it was all milspec same as 6920 just pinned stock an no flash hider but i forgot to ask about the reuse of spring and buffer.now if i can track down a tube.

10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    If you can live with a commercial diameter tube (slightly less stock selection, must use commercial diameter stock) I can PM you a link to someone that has them available.

11. saylor

saylor

Apr 20, 2009
    thanks for the help and offer.i just got an email from cdnn called and ordered the milspec kit, stock, tube, spring and buffer for 39.99.he said they just got some in.i have no idea of brand but for that price ill try it.thanks again