close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just got a speeding ticket in NY

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LockHavenYellow, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockHavenYellow

LockHavenYellow Flyin' Low

85 in a 65. I was keeping with the flow of traffic, but I was speeding nonetheless.

First ticket in over 10 years and the guy cut me no slack...hell, he didn't even say hello or goodbye. I was cordial, etc. He was clearly having a bad day. Oh well.

What do I do here - plead guilty or not guilty? I have a CT license...will points be applied? Thanks.

2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

Just my opinion...

You just owned up to your mistake like a man should do and admitted to speeding. I say you pay the fine and move on. Lesson learned for next time.

The attitude of the officer, although might have been less than pleasant, does not over shadow the cause for the ticket.

3. NG VI

NG VI

Fight it. If the cop doesn't show, at least here, the ticket is dropped and you suffer no additional consequences even if he shows up and then you lose.

If you were keeping with the flow of traffic, then you may have an easier time getting it dropped. Certainly makes it look like a situation where cranky cop was cranky and decided to go punish someone for it.

4. LockHavenYellow

Just spoke to my buddy...he had the exact same cop get him a few months ago. Apparently, CT/NY talk to one another and the points do apply. He paid $350 for a lawyer to get the ticket dropped to a non-moving violation. $125 fine and he was on his way.

Not sure what to do here. The points are my biggest concern. I have a clean record other than this.

5. NG VI

NG VI

Oh yeah...

It's important to note that failure to keep up with the natural flow of traffic, regardless of the official speed limit in that area, can be very dangerous for everyone on the road. There are some on-ramps near me and it seems like half the time I use them I end up behind somebody driving 25 under the speed limit of the highway we're seconds from merging onto. It's not an insignificant factor, personally my life and the safety of other drivers around me will always outweigh something as arbitrary as a speed limit sign.

6. CJStudent

CJStudent Fenced In

If that's the only moving violation you've had in years, the points should be no big deal. Own up, admit your mistake, pay the fine, and move on.

7. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Going with the flow of traffic is not a mistake, and not something you should have to "own up to" like a kid stealing candy. You shouldn't have to pay the state for not impeding the flow of traffic. Fight it.

8. Singlemalt

Singlemalt In the rough

Jeez, big deal the cop was having a bad day. Hell, simple fact is some of us are more pleasant than others (in general speaking of people here).

Anyway. Go to court if you desire, speak with the DA before and you should have zero issues getting the ticket reduced to not driving up your insurance.

9. LockHavenYellow

From what my buddy told me, this guy has a bad day every day. Sucks to be him.

10. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

I find myself in the same box - during the morning rush hour, traffic flows at at least 15 mph over the 55 mph limit. If you stay with the flow you risk getting a citation; if you drive anywhere near the speed limit you are the victim of incredibly aggressive drivers.

11. LockHavenYellow

Was coming back from HPN with a few active duty USCG buddies after showing them a new 450.

12. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Just pay it. I look at it as the fee I'm sometimes requested to pay in order to drive a little faster than the folks behind me :supergrin:

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Its too late to do what you should have...

You should have floored and made a run for the CT border....

-Dana

14. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Very nice airplane. There were a couple of Coasties at Gulfstream Flight Test - great guys!

15. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

When there are multiple speeders and only one cop in the area, he/she can only conduct one traffic stop at time. If it happens to be you... oh well. He/she is just doing their job. When I was younger I got a few speeding tickets and later as a LEO I issued several speeding tickets. One thing I learned on both ends of the spectrum... if you don't want a ticket... don't speed. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't mean you have to also. Let someone else take a hit in the wallet. However, cops do need to be profesionally courteous when conducting business.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  16. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

No way in hell I'd plead guilty to 20 over. I bet the fine is $250-300. :faint:

17. LockHavenYellow

That was the most frustrating thing. I was cordial, asked before I dug into my pockets or glove box (so he didn't think I was pulling a gun), and kept my hands at 10 and 2. He didn't even say "hello."

Must be miserable being him.

18. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

Yep. It's guys like him that make people hate cops. Unfortunately there are way too many of them that think that the badge is a special permit to treat people rudely and/or get special privileges. There are those types in every police or sheriff's dept in the country. We call them "Farva(s)" You know, the d-bag cop in Super Troopers. :rofl:

19. The Dying Gaul

The Dying Gaul

Not sure about discretion and laws applying in New York, but here in AZ, I have in the past reduced individual's speeding tickets from tickets like yours (i.e. 20 over) to 1-10 over or just dismissed the ticket based on circumstances.

Find out the prosecuting jurisdiction and try a respectful phone call, it couldn't hurt to try.

20. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

:upeyes:

You have to ask?

Yes, I was speeding, breaking the law, violating the rules, I'm guilty, but it's not FAIR that I have to pay a fine or get points on my license! :upeyes: I know, I'll go and find some sleazy jackleg to kiss it and make it all better or play the odds, demand a jury trial and pray that the policeman doesn't show up and then ... :upeyes:

Note well that the policeman's demeanor has no relation to the event. If he were naughty or nice, you were still speeding, so dicussing that is irrelevant, no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.