close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Just found a way to up my round count for my EDC piece

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by KiloBravo, Nov 28, 2011.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

I carry a G17 with attached Streamlight TLR-1. I just installed and tested a +2 extended baseplate last weekend at the range. The three mags that they are installed on worked flawlessly. I now have 20 rounds in the gun before I have to worry about loading another mag. I love that feeling of having so many 124 grain +P JHP on my person at one time. :cool:

I also carry two spare mags as well.

2. Sticky Grips

Sticky Grips

Jan 16, 2009
    I had a +2 extension installed on my G21SF and ended up having trouble with feeding after leaving the mags loaded for an extended period

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    I tried +2 extensions on a G23 and G17. After two/three magazines they would fail fantastically and eject all the live ammo, the springs and the baseplates for no reason.

Strange, every now and again I run to the store with an NAA .22 short 5 shot on me and don't feel particularly underarmed.

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Good to know. I will keep a close eye on mine.

5. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

I appreciate the feedback. You can bet they will come right back off of the magazines if they do something like that.

6. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Jun 29, 2001
    New Mexico
    If you are using factory Glock extensions marked "7151" and the wedge shaped insert you won't have any problems with "spontaneous disassembly".

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  7. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    +1 I would only use the factory Glock extension.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I don't like extensions with Glocks in particular. Read too many stories about the pressure against the mag causing problems.

9. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    I can see mag extenders on spare mags, but looks like the extra sticking out on a full size frame would print more.

10. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

Feb 2, 2000
    Connecticut
    Doesn't the gun hold enough to start with? If you can't get the job done with 18 what good are more?

11. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Well it's better to have more rounds than you need than not enough. Besides one of your mags could be causing FTF which would make you want to switch mags so your losing a lot of rounds right there. I've never understood why people think they should have fewer rounds on them.

12. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

You are correct. The gun holds 18 rounds before the extensions. It is my personal choice to want to carry more. Realistically, 3-4 rounds would probably be enough if I even had to pull the trigger in an encounter. However, it is good to have options, and it is my decision to carry the additional ammo. :wavey:

13. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    One magazine of mine has a factory extension on it - 31+2, aka the funstick.

14. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

May 28, 2004
    I can't fault you one bit for being prepared or maybe a little bit overprepared.

Maybe carrying a G17 with that stuff hanging off with it plus two extra mags sucks, maybe it doesn't.

Personally, firepower (magazine capacity+power+rate of fire) is less important to me than the following:

-Reliability
    -Handling
    -Accuracy

I wouldn't use anything but factory magazines as they come from the factory on a carry gun because reliability is absolutely critical.

15. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    The Arredondo extensions cost a little, but having +5 on my 10mm mags is neat. Rugged and worth every penny.

16. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
  17. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    If your serious about running the extensions, you should think about upgrading your springs to the extra power ones. Can't hurt to err on the side of caution.

18. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Thanks to everybody for the input. I appreciate it. :wavey:

I will certainly run them a lot to ensure reliability. If they give me any doubts what so ever, they will be taken right back off. :supergrin: