close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just dumped Cable for AT&T U-Verse

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Blaster, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Blaster

Blaster
    Expand Collapse
    Hunc tu caveto

After many years with Cox Communications I tossed them aside to give AT&T U-Verse a try. Cox doesn't offer the Sportsman Channel and I have been wanting to get it, now I have it.

So far the HD TV is perfect, Telephone is a no brainer for Ma Bell and my Internet actually seems to be more responsive.

I returned my Cable Box tonight to a Cox service center and the guy I talked to was convinced I would be back. So I laid into him about all the times my Cox phone has been out, the pixely Cox HD TV reception and the fact that my AT&T Internet is faster than Cox and said, "Perhaps not!" Paying less too.

Oh and the Cox folks were trying to entice me back with rate reductions. So I guess if you want to save money on your bill call up your provider and tell them you want to cancel. Might be worth your while, heck you can change your mind on the fly if they are unwilling to do anything for you.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Blaster, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. John43

John43
    Expand Collapse

My ATT phone bill is separate from the tv bill, they can't lump them together here for some reason.

3. I0WA

I0WA
    Expand Collapse

Sorry to hear you're best option is AT&T, but from the horror stories I hear about COX I don't blame you.

4. CMGAdmin

CMGAdmin
    Expand Collapse
    Admin

What is your down speed now?

5. I0WA

I0WA
    Expand Collapse

#5 I0WA, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  6. azron

azron
    Expand Collapse

AT&T sucks. One of if not the worst company to have to deal with. O and their almighty U-verse is a crock as well. Around here you get one of 2 things when you order U-verse. 1. A satellite dish from Dish for your tv and AT&T's crappy phone and internet or if your in the right area everything coming on one pipe where when you watch 2 tv's in hi def at a time your internet crawls to dial speed.

7. Blaster

Blaster
    Expand Collapse
    Hunc tu caveto

8. CMGAdmin

CMGAdmin
    Expand Collapse
    Admin

Yeap, in my area,... you either get that with AT&T or crappy customer service and ever rising bills each month with ComCrap.

9. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

I have ATT U-verse and I only have 2 compliants.

1. Poor customer service.
    After being on hold for 30 minutes, you'll get a tech rep in some third world country.
    (One rep told me she was in the Phillipines.)
    You tell them your problem and then they start reading from a checklist.
    Is your TV plugged in, is it turned on?
    It's very difficult to communicate with them.

2. Nothing on worth watching.
    I think that's has to do more with the bullcrap that's on TV today than ATT.

#9 JBnTX, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  10. Blaster

Blaster
    Expand Collapse
    Hunc tu caveto

So far U-Verse has been fine for me. I am paying less, about $20 a month and have more channels and a DVR that I never had before. Plus I have the Sportsman Channel that Cox does not offer and the Outdoor channel that I would have had to pay more for from Cox.

My internet speed does not score as high on speed tests as it did with Cox but for all practicle purposes it seems fine and I have not experienced any problems with what I normally download.

11. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun
    Expand Collapse

We are scheduled to get U-verse 4/11/13.

They "say" my download speed will increase from ~5+ on AT&T DSL to ~12 on U-verse.

Couple of questions.

1. I assume I keep my existing E-mail addresses - three. Is that correct??? I didn't think of asking.

2. What hardware and wiring is needed? The phone line comes into the house and I have my own high grade Under Ground phone line to the cottage where we have our home office, DSL modem, wireless router, etc.

3. We don't have cable - never had - but do have coax from the house to the office. We have good antenna reception.

4. We are supposed to same ~$30, but I'll believe it when I get the bill. They did wave the $99 installation fee when I croaked over it.

5. What problems have any of you had? We absolutely HAVE to have a reliable internet connection. If that could be an issue, I will cancel before it starts.

6. We will get only telephone and internet.

THANKS!

RC