close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just doubled my ram from 1 gb to 2 gb where......

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dalton Wayne, Sep 28, 2012.

1. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

Windows 7 shouldn't require much more memory than earlier versions. The biggest difference is all of the additional services that are run by default in Windows 7 Home Premium and above. Shutting down those services should make huge difference. Netbooks still come with 1 GB of memory and Windows 7 Starter and most of them aren't dual core or 64 bit. Windows 7 Home Premium can be tuned down to run like Windows 7 Starter.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Actually, I have been using Win7 quite comfortably on 4 gigs. It wasn't lightning fast, but it was usable.

2GB would probably be too little for Win7; I would stay with XP on an older computer like that.

3. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of that, I'm running Win7 Pro (not Starter) on my pocket computer (1.33GHz Atom, 1GB RAM). It's amazing how well it works on such a slow machine.

4. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24
    Expand Collapse
    Bring M&M's

Windows 7 Pro has many features but it doesn't have all the eye candy services running by default like Home Premium and Ultimate do. The hardware and especially the BIOS need to be compatible with Windows 7 to run smoothly though. Windows Vista wasn't offered on netbooks because the basic version had more things running on it by default than Windows XP. Windows 7 Starter is a bit more stripped down than Windows Vista Home Basic but those services can be switched off in Windows Vista. My old netbook came with Windows XP but later the maker came out with a BIOS update to run Windows 7.

5. lwt210

lwt210
    Expand Collapse

I also probably should add that my hdd is 7200 rpm which may be part of the reason mine seems a bit more peppy than most netbooks.

A gaming system it ain't but for Windows 7 web surfing and such, 4 gig seems to be more than enough.

6. Hooba

Hooba
    Expand Collapse

I just installed Win7 Pro yesterday on an old IBM Thinkpad T42. 512mb of memory, 40Gb hard drive and an Intel Mobile processor.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman
    Expand Collapse

Slackware Linux would run MUCH better on that machine....or any machine...

#27 PrecisionRifleman, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  8. captainstormy

captainstormy
    Expand Collapse

I'm a Linux guy myself, but Slackware is not the Distro to really recommend to a windows user.

9. PrecisionRifleman

PrecisionRifleman
    Expand Collapse

For many people Ubuntu is a better place to get into the world of Linux. However I think a lot of people are afraid of a distro like Slackware because of a fear of the command line. That being said I think Slackware is the most simple, clean, and straight forward district there is. You get nothing you don't want and everything you need, and of course you can add to it as you like.

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I'd agree w/ Slackware..

However... You're talking a Windows user. Windows users are pretty much used to "click this, and it works"... That is not Slackware. Unless someone really wants to dive into the guts of Linux (which is pretty unlikely for a new user), Slackware is definitely not the place to start. Frankly, I don't know anyone who "started" with Slackware (recently anyway). For the new Linux user, Ubuntu is really where it's at. I prefer a straight Debian install, but I have Ubuntu on my laptop, mainly because setting up wireless isn't a total PITA.

11. michael_b

michael_b
    Expand Collapse
    BRC #1492

Make sure you Aero UI elements turned off. Even on my machine with a quad core processor, dual graphics cards, and 12GB of RAM- I notice a difference.

-On mobile

12. lwt210

lwt210
    Expand Collapse

Ordered 8gb of ram from Crucial yesterday. Might be a waste but I am going to see if I get any more performance out of my subnotebook/netbook with it installed.

It was cheap so I won't be out much if going from 4 to 8 is barely noticeable. I'll find out next week.

13. lwt210

lwt210
    Expand Collapse

Installed that 8 gig today and can tell quite a bit of improvement in most all aspects of Windows 7 as well as internet surfing/multi-tasking....which this netbook isn't really designed to do.

Well worth the 38 bucks and change. Very simple to install as well.