Glock Talk banner

Just bought a Mossberg 590A1!

15K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  Schirmer77 
#1 ·
So, I just bought one of these bad boys and it is awesome! I love it.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone could suggest a heat shield for it? Mossberg seems to be out of their brand.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I don't believe the 500 series heat-shield will work for the 590A1. To be totally honest, I haven't found a heat-shield to be necessary for shotguns. Yes, the barrels get very hot, but most of the heat shields get fairly hot as well. It isn't rocket science not to grab the barrel. The only thing I found a heat-shield to do is add weight.

Congrats on the new 590A1!

#3 · (Edited)
The Mossberg 500 series heat shield will work on a 590A1 as long as it dont have a Ghost ring front sight ramp. In other words if you have a bead front sight you are good to go. They are avaliable from many sorces such as Brownells and Midway and properly installed they fit right, don't move and work great. I have 3 of them in use and have had them for years. My 590A1 has Ghost ring sights or it would have one on it too.

#9 · (Edited)
My son's 590-A1 has the Ghost Ring sight setup & the Mossberg heat shield DOES fit !
Takes a bit of tweaking, but it works.
Mine has it also, with Ghost Ring, & a FACTORY barrel threaded for choke tubes.
This one was a bit more work, as the barrel is .100" larger in diameter than a stock 590-A1. Had to use longer bolts on the front clamp....which is how I found out about the size differernce !
Fun gun, I have 15 different choke tubes for it, use it as my shotgun for USPSA 3 Gun.
NO, it's NOT light, actually several lbs. heavier than my Ruger Red Label O/U.
But it's a tank that will outlive me, by FAR.
And it's a real trip showing up at the local trap range & breaking 25 straight, then fixing the bayonet so it will sit in the rack with the "sporting" shotguns, without falling thru.
I get the STRANGEST looks fron the "L.L.Bean types"

uncle albert

#11 ·
My 500 heat-shield will not fit on my 590A1 without some form of modification. Of course, I'm not really interested in putting it on, since I think they're just extra weight (the 500 came with it, so I left it on for giggles).

#12 ·
If you think the heatshield is just extra weight, try shooting a 3-gun match without one. When you've got a 16 round stage, that barrel gets REAL hot to hold on to during a reload !
It more a loading aid than a shooting aid !

uncle albert

Reactions: RendFou
#13 ·
The Mossberg 500 series heat shield will work on a 590A1 as long as it dont have a Ghost ring front sight ramp. In other words if you have a bead front sight you are good to go. They are avaliable from many sorces such as Brownells and Midway and properly installed they fit right, don't move and work great. I have 3 of them in use and have had them for years. My 590A1 has Ghost ring sights or it would have one on it too.
Not so. I have the factory ghost rings and factory heat shield on mine.

#14 ·
Not so. I have the factory ghost rings and factory heat shield on mine.

Yeah it will go on if you want to bend the hell out of it to get it over the front sight base then hope you can get it straight enough after it's on to get it to look decent. I'll rephrase my statement, it's not made to go on a barrel with their ghost ring sights.

#15 ·
Therer's a big difference between "bending the hell out of it" and a bit of careful re-contouring & re-forming.
Other than needing longer screws on mine (see my earlier post as to why) it wasn't any real problem.

there's a difference between a craftsman & a hack !

uncle albert

#17 ·
That would have been great.....if it had been around in '99 or so. had mine for quite a while !

uncle albert

#18 · (Edited)
Therer's a big difference between "bending the hell out of it" and a bit of careful re-contouring & re-forming.
Other than needing longer screws on mine (see my earlier post as to why) it wasn't any real problem.

there's a difference between a craftsman & a hack !

uncle albert
A bit of re-contouring wont get it over those ghost rings...LOL Whatever.........

#19 ·
Wish I could post pics (me & computers don't play nice w/each other) as I've put the heat shield on 3 different 590-A1's with the Ghost sights !
Please read my earlier post regarding my own with the larger diameter barrel.

uncle albert

#20 ·
Your not going to need the heat shield. It's only going to be dead weight. The A1 has a heavy wall barrel.

If you think the heatshield is just extra weight, try shooting a 3-gun match without one. When you've got a 16 round stage, that barrel gets REAL hot to hold on to during a reload !
It more a loading aid than a shooting aid !

uncle albert
Exactly. If you don't think a heat shield is useful, you haven't shot your gun enough.

I don't use them, but they're far from useless.

#22 ·
Like Inebriated said........

uncle

#23 ·
I've shot my shotgun(s) a bunch. Over the years I've probably put 80,000 shells downrange. Skeet, Sporting Clays, Tactical Shotgun Training, hunting, you name it.

I've never found any practical utility with a heat shield. I don't hold my shotgun by the barrel. I hold it with the stock and forearm. I have no idea how you hold a pump shotgun by the heat shield and make it work. But I'm all ears and willing to learn.

#24 ·
I have no idea how you hold a pump shotgun by the heat shield and make it work. But I'm all ears and willing to learn.
I have seen some people roll the top of the shotgun onto their forearm and grab the barrel while they stuff shells into it but they are wearing gloves. That could still be accomplished easier by still holding onto the forearm of the shotgun without the barrel touching you.

#25 ·
Big Bird, how do you hold your 590 while you're loading it "in a hurry" like in competition & the clock is running ?

uncle albert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.