Glock Talk banner

Jury rigged powder measures

13K views 96 replies 25 participants last post by  shotgunred 
#1 ·
Got a .5 cc measure with my .40 dies, but the spec sheet calls for .6 cc's.

Looking at the size of the .5 measure, I decided on a .22 case, and ground it down with my Dremel until I could dump powder into it 2 and a half times and figured I'd call that a .2 cc. Then ground another down to where it took 5 dumps to fill the original and called it .1.

Pretty rustic, but it beats separating the powder on a piece of ruled paper with a razor blade. (Not that I've ever done that before with any other substance - but I've seen it on TV.:wow:)

#77 ·
As I mentioned earlier, you could "calibrate" a homemade dipper, but different lots of powders can have different densities.

Example: Just last weekend, I ran ran out of powder from one lot. I refilled the hopper after empty with a new lot of the same powder and did all the usual measures to settle it, etc. (I do not mix lots). The new lot threw 2 tenths heavier because it was more dense. 2/10 wasn't a too terribly big deal with the slower burning powder I was using, but it could be a big deal if using a fast burner. I weighed on the scale and "re-calibrated" the throw by turning it down to a smaller volume.
Correct, you have to have some margin. the table that comes with Lee dies shows only start loads for the dipper. It will show powder X with the dipper and say a 180 grain bullet as a start load of 4.0 grains and the dipper throwing 3.9, then it will show a max of 4.9 of the same powder with no dipper recommended for a max.

#78 ·
How do you know if the beam scale is right?
You can check it with check weights or you could trust the manufacturer to have checked it out. Once it's correct it's always going to be correct. The only problem it can have is if the moving parts get out of whack, which you can see by the way it tracks and settles out.

#80 · (Edited)
You do realize that anyone, including the manuf, can post a review on the product right?
I do and lots of people on F___book just lost an average of 3% of their likes, upwards of 35%, due to the company shutting down fake accounts.

This person has made numerous other reviews with the same type of writing style and detail. A large portion of the reviews are technology. They write negatives as well as positives.

When mine arrives I will let you know what my tests bare out as I have access to a few certified scales and check weights.

-Mike

#82 ·
When mine arrives I will let you know what my tests bare out as I have access to a few certified scales and check weights.

-Mike
I would be very interested in your results. If I didn't have other priorities at the moment, I would probably buy one of the scales just to see how it turns out.

Richard

#83 · (Edited)
I do and lots of people on F___book just lost an average of 3% of their likes, upwards of 35%, due to the company shutting down fake accounts.

This person has made numerous other reviews with the same type of writing style and detail. A large portion of the reviews are technology. They write negatives as well as positives.

-Mike
Do let us know, I just doubt it, not yet, maybe sooner than later it will happen. Weigh diff check weights, turn it off & on, weigh again, leave it on weigh again, that is the real test; will it stay accurate over time & will it hold zero.
Calculators used to be $400 & now they give them away. So an accurate/cheap dig scale will happen.

#87 ·
He's a breeder? Not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand.:dunno:
May I suggest reading and comprehending all of the posts that were made before worrying about my now non exiting sex life. And don’t you worry shortly after we got married my wife had to have a hysterectomy.
I might be old. But most of the time I do know what I’m putting up on the screen. And yes what I wrote had to do with what was brought up in the thread.
:panties:

#88 ·
Did gravity change or did they ding up their scales?
Nope neither one. One was mine and the other was a friend of mine. Mine was an Ohaus dial o gram and his was an Ohaus and I forget the model.
Mine I would zero it out I even used a bubble to make sure it was level. Put the check weights in the pan and it would not weigh right of what was in the pan.
His we gave me a load to try and I loaded them up of what he said and my gun would not work. I would shoot his reloads and the gun would work. So I took a couple of rounds home and pulled the bullets and weighted the charge. The charge was more than what he said. He had an Ohaus and a Dillon digital. They did not read the same so he thought the Dillon was wrong and the beam was right. He then bought a set of check weights. The beam was wrong and the digital was right.
So you can draw your own conclusion but in my option a beam scale can be wrong from my experience.

#89 ·
He had an Ohaus and a Dillon digital. They did not read the same so he thought the Dillon was wrong and the beam was right. He then bought a set of check weights. The beam was wrong and the digital was right.
So you can draw your own conclusion but in my option a beam scale can be wrong from my experience.
And that's the way to approach this powder measure/scale issue: Use check weights. Regardless of the type of scale.

Richard

#90 ·
May I suggest reading and comprehending all of the posts that were made before worrying about my now non exiting sex life. And don’t you worry shortly after we got married my wife had to have a hysterectomy.
I might be old. But most of the time I do know what I’m putting up on the screen. And yes what I wrote had to do with what was brought up in the thread.
I don't think he was making a shot at your marital relations, I think he was just poking fun at a malapropism you used.

#91 · (Edited)
"That is you’re propagative"

You wrote it. You think you know what you meant.

I read it. I know what it means.

One of us is right.

Guess who?:tongueout:

#92 ·
If you look at Lee,s loading data using the dippers, they tend to load on the low or even below low starting loads. They do throw viable loads if you can find a dipper number that covers a specific powder. I have been using homemade dippers since 1949 (granted not reloading as long as some of you) but in my experience dippers work just fine when checked and double checked against my old beam Ohaus 500 scale. I build dippers that fall into the mid-range of the loads. I never load to max as there is really no need to. Some of my loads with a dipper for 300 WSM-180 Accubond, have taken buffalo, moose, elk, caribou, black bear, caribou, and numerous white tail. Won a pistol G17, many years ago at Ft. Benning, using dipper load of Bullseye. Of course can no longer hold a pistol without tremors ...

#93 ·
"That is you’re propagative"
You wrote it. You think you know what you meant.
I read it. I know what it means.
One of us is right.
Guess who?:tongueout:
Is "English Nazi" an OXYMORON??

Anyway, those of us who aren't know he meant "prerogative".

pre·rog·a·tive

[ pri róggətiv ]

1.privilege restricted to people of rank: an exclusive privilege or right enjoyed by a person or group occupying a particular rank or position
2.individual right or privilege: a privilege or right that allows a particular person or group to give orders or make decisions or judgments
3.privilege resulting from natural advantage: the right conferred by a natural advantage that places somebody in a position of superiority

Propagative I guess that would be an adjective describing this: prop·a·ga·tion (pr p-g sh n)
n. 1. Multiplication or increase, as by natural reproduction.
2. The process of spreading to a larger area or greater number

:tongueout:

#97 ·
TKM the reloading forum on Glock TAlk is like other subforums. While it is OK to disagree with someone, we do it in a polite manner. Please be civil or please don't post here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.