Jury rigged powder measures

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ADK_40GLKr, Oct 7, 2012.

1. You are a fast learner SARDG.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 fredj338, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. Someone should have convinced my teachers and professors. :rofl:

3. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

what powder? If you are using one someone has they could weigh it. But the way they load the dipper would be different from you so would weigh diffrent. I sure hope you are only trying low end loads!

Buy a scale!​

4. Gotta get a scale. Should have this already.

I have a number of dippers for pet loads made from trimmed 9mm cases.

Always calibrated. Only re-calibrate with new lot of powder.

Never go out of adjustment.

First charge just as accurate as the last charge.

EASILY HOLD +/- 0.1 grain all day long. Even if using a Harrell measure you better use a scale on each charge if you need better repeatability.

All the Best,
    D. White

#24 dwhite53, Oct 8, 2012
  5. Yeah, minimum starting load on the .45; and on the .40, which called for .6 CC.

BUT after all this, I've decided to give it a rest for a while so I don't do anything impetuous, shop around a bit, and get the rest of the stuff I need, like a scale, reloading manual, pullet buller, etc.

6. THAT I dipped 5 times to fill the .5 cc dipper, as I was grinding it down. Repeated the process several times until I was convinced it was 1/5 the volume of the .5cc plastic one that came with my dies.

My bad, I thought you were talking about measuring out 5 dips to load a case.

7. No, it DOES. Buy one and get back to me.

8. Luckily my targets dont read this forum. Many a ragged hole will attest to the fact that a Gemini 20 measures to 0.02 grains (thats Zero Point Zero Two Grains) day in and day out. Spend your money any way you like, but if the goal is to measure charges accurately and consistently, spend $22 on a Gemini 20 and compare it to whatever you own before you cast judgment. The site has a 30 day return policy so you have nothing to lose other than preconceptions.

9. Perhaps you should spend a few minutes doing your own research before you make such statements. Fair enough? Not to mention, a Lee Safety Scale is readily available for $22 and is as accurate as any scale on the market.

An apology would be in order, actually, dont you think?

http://www.americanweigh.com/pdf/manuals/gemini-20_manual.pdf

page 5

#30 tkglazie, Oct 8, 2012
  10. Use what you like, but if the goal is to put an accurate charge into a case, this scale does it and has for me for almost a year now with one battery change. I compare it regularly to my beam scale and it never disappoints.

I do understand that this is difficult to believe but the results dont lie. For $22, refundable, it would be really easy for anyone to see for themselves.

11. SO you are trying to tell me it measures 2/100 of a grain? Maybe someday someone will make a reliable cheap dig scale, not today though.:dunno: BTW, what are you using to verify said wonder scale??? I am not buying the advert or you response, no disrespect, but until you have had that little gem on & off 100s of times & verified it against cert check wts, you have no idea.

#32 fredj338, Oct 8, 2012
  12. That's the biggest problem we have in measuring our powder. We relate VOLUME to WEIGHT. If you bump around on the bench, the powder packs down so it is more dense. Then the volume is heavier.

I started out using dippers in the 1960's when an Ohaus 5-10 or 10-10 was beyond my dreams cost wise. I got pretty consistent with dippers but I had no other choice. I had a small quantity of powder, ran the dipper through it then swept off the top with a piece of cardboard. That gave the charge no bumping or packing down.

Now, there are so many options available for digital scales, it's no longer optional to use one. If you like the dippers, heck, keep using them. Just verify your charge weight.

I personally recommend the Lyman 55 powder measure. It has three separate volume chambers so adjustment is very precise. It even has a little hammer installed in the front of the housing to tap a consistent amount for every charge. I have 9 powder measures and the Lyman 55 is the best of all of them.

With pistol powders, the burn rate is so fast that it's easy to get into KB territory. Yes......you must have a scale. Please....

Flash

13. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

A ragged hole proves nothing of the level of precision that you claim that this scale is capable of. Some powders will do the ragged hole thing with +/- 2 tenths of grains as dispensed through a powder throw.

I would believe that it gives weight readouts in 2/100 grain increments, but I seriously doubt that it is repeatably accurate to that level of precision. Have you ever tested the scale with check weights? I am not talking about calibration weights.

The only way to know is to verify the readings with check weights across a variety of weight ranges. Do you have check weights in hundredths of grain increments? Perhaps some photos with said check weights to prove your point?

14. Wow. No, it really isnt BS. I sent you the documentation and have described first-hand real world experiences, yet I am the one who needs to reconsider reloading?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are actually some things in this world that are true even if you dont believe them.

15. dkf

dkf

#36 dkf, Oct 8, 2012
  16. Lets back up here. A few posts ago I was being questioned (and still have not seen a retraction) about the fact that this scale even MEASURES what I said it measures, and now I am the one who needs to produce photo proof what is already been documented? Even if the scale does close to what it claims it is better than most of the "name brand" scales that start at .1 grain accuracy.

I have yet to weigh a charge or weight on this scale and have it disagree with my Lee Safety Scale (which is good for 1/20th grain, does anyone care to dispute that?)

When I load for my .32 Special (only 20 at a time), I use a dipper to get near 34 grains of H4895 and then use tweezers to drop individual grains until I get to 34.02 (for no other reason than thats the charge I used for the best group with that gun and its as easy to hit one number as another). The scale registers each grain or two as it is dropped.

Jeez, the thing costs just over $20. We all spend more than that on components in a week. Try it out, send it back if you dont like it. But until someone comes to ME with proof that this thing DOESNT do what it says, I would appreciate the benefit of the doubt. What kind of forum do we have here anyway? Check my history, have I NOT been a positive, supportive member here?

#37 tkglazie, Oct 8, 2012
  17. yes, it has a mode button and toggles between several measurements.

for calibration, it uses the 2-weight method using the 2 provided 10gram weights.

#38 tkglazie, Oct 8, 2012
  18. I went through the docs on the Gemini scale. Excellent scales read to +- .1 grain. Not so hot scales read to +- .2 grain. I strongly suspect a typo error in the specs.

I have a set of check weight standards and I'd sure verify that before I accepted the data in those docs.

Flash

19. A typo error in the specs, AND on the unit?

remember- there ARE some concessions when using this unit- primarily its tiny size, the fact that it is battery powered and its very small pan. You will want to use a larger pan on top of the existing one as I mentioned. If you weigh each charge and load a lot, this isnt the scale for you. But for low volume use, or for spot checking volume charges I cant imagine a better value.

#40 tkglazie, Oct 8, 2012