Glock Talk banner

Jury rigged powder measures

13K views 96 replies 25 participants last post by  shotgunred 
#1 ·
Got a .5 cc measure with my .40 dies, but the spec sheet calls for .6 cc's.

Looking at the size of the .5 measure, I decided on a .22 case, and ground it down with my Dremel until I could dump powder into it 2 and a half times and figured I'd call that a .2 cc. Then ground another down to where it took 5 dumps to fill the original and called it .1.

Pretty rustic, but it beats separating the powder on a piece of ruled paper with a razor blade. (Not that I've ever done that before with any other substance - but I've seen it on TV.:wow:)

#3 ·
You do have a valid scale, right?

I can see using a dipper to get 90% of the load into the scale pan and then using a trickler to finish the measurement.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/317787/rcbs-powder-trickler

I can't even imagine a process where the powder was divided with a razor blade.

We recently had a long discussion re: dippers and scales. The considered opinion is that dippers won't throw a precise charge.

For many powders, the difference between a minimum charge and a maximum charge is just 0.5 gr.

Richard

#5 · (Edited)
That's fine, before Lee made dippers, guys made them form shell cases cut donw, but consider ONLY Lee shows loads in cc, you better be checking w/ a scale, foolish loading any other way w/ the exception of low end or starting loads.

#8 ·
Please take the advice that is going to come your way . Even if it is tough love. Yes dippers can be made and used to create cartriges that will push a bullet out of a barrel but please save them for apocalypse reloading or something . Scales really aren't that expensive and they are critical for consistent reloads. At least get a consistent reading with the particular dipper you are using with the specific powder you are using and then keep the charge well below maximum . Use a powder like Unique that is more forgiving. Also get a case where a single measure is all that is needed. Every dip you have to make is capable of introducing error .
I live in South Florida , the only powder I have ever heard of being seperated on paper with a razor blade would not do well over a primer !!!

#9 · (Edited)
Wouldn't one larger case made into a dipper be more consistent than dipping 5 times with a tiny one?
You really need a scale. Reloading a pistol ammo with un-calibrated equipment is a recipe for disaster.
Don't have to dip anything 5 times.

Yellow one is 0.5; tiny is 0.1. I need 0.6. Anything bigger would be way more than prescribed.

Sounds like I really need a scale!

#13 ·
The Lee scale is inexpensive and works but is not ideal. I like the Dillon scale myself its faster and easier to use but it is a bit more money.

#14 ·
I live in South Florida , the only powder I have ever heard of being seperated on paper with a razor blade would not do well over a primer !!!
:faint:

OK, point taken. I'm learning a lot, pretty fast!

I just asked a different way in the other thread, but if the chart says .5 cc in the "Lee Dipper" column for 170 gr XTP bullets, is it OK for 165 gr. PLATED bullets?

#15 ·
The Gemini 20 measures to .02grains all day and is available for $22 on Amazon. You will need a larger pan to place on the one that comes with it. Excellent product. Comes with a pair of check weights
Like what Fred has said many of times there is no digital scale that is any good under $100.00. That scale and many other scales come with calibration weights. Not check weights. Of all the reloading equipment you buy. The reloading scale is not a product that you skimp on.

#17 ·
I do know that a 9mm case holds about 6 grains of Unique. I have a set of Lee dippers that I probably can't find.

Get a scale. I had a Lee for some time and then out of reloader shame bought a Dillion (made by Ohus).

Good luck.

#18 ·
Don't have to dip anything 5 times.

Yellow one is 0.5; tiny is 0.1. I need 0.6. Anything bigger would be way more than prescribed.

Sounds like I really need a scale!
Ok, so how do you know it's 0.1cc?:dunno:

#19 · (Edited)
The Gemini 20 measures to .02grains all day and is available for $22 on Amazon. You will need a larger pan to place on the one that comes with it. Excellent product. Comes with a pair of check weights
No it does NOT. No scale under several $500 measures 0.02gr, I am sure you meant 0.2gr, big, big diff.:shocked: A scale that measure 0.2gr is NOT accurate enough for serious reloading. It's about as useful as dippers. Again, until someone shows me a scale that reapeatedly measures accurate 1/10gr charges w/o shifting zero over months of reloading, for under $100 retail, I am sticking to my original statemtent. You are going to have to spend $100 retail or more for a quality, repeatable dig scale.

#20 ·
No it does NOT. No scale under several $500 measures 0.02gr, I am sure you meant 0.2gr, big, big diff.:shocked: A scale that measure 0.2gr is NOT accurate enough for serious reloading. It's about as useful as dippers...
ADK_ This is a perfect example of choosing wisely who you take advise from on this forum. I know the wise posters, but won't name them for fear of insulting others. Even those wise folks can be guilty of occasional typos however.

Couple the poor advise of using a $22 digital scale AND a typo (or simply a misunderstanding of one's own gear), and you can see where you can simply waste a lot of monies OR have a catastrophic error, depending on how the typo/error/gear misunderstanding works out for you.

The same goes for Internet reload recipes. When you find them, make informed decisions based on cross-checking with published data.

#21 · (Edited)
ADK_ This is a perfect example of choosing wisely who you take advise from on this forum. I know the wise posters, but won't name them for fear of insulting others. Even those wise folks can be guilty of occasional typos however.

Couple the poor advise of using a $22 digital scale AND a typo (or simply a misunderstanding of one's own gear), and you can see where you can simply waste a lot of monies OR have a catastrophic error, depending on how the typo/error/gear misunderstanding works out for you.

The same goes for Internet reload recipes. When you find them, make informed decisions based on cross-checking with published data.
You are a fast learner SARDG.

#23 ·
:faint:

OK, point taken. I'm learning a lot, pretty fast!

I just asked a different way in the other thread, but if the chart says .5 cc in the "Lee Dipper" column for 170 gr XTP bullets, is it OK for 165 gr. PLATED bullets?
what powder? If you are using one someone has they could weigh it. But the way they load the dipper would be different from you so would weigh diffrent. I sure hope you are only trying low end loads!

Buy a scale!​

#24 · (Edited)
Gotta get a scale. Should have this already.

I have a number of dippers for pet loads made from trimmed 9mm cases.

Always calibrated. Only re-calibrate with new lot of powder.

Never go out of adjustment.

First charge just as accurate as the last charge.

EASILY HOLD +/- 0.1 grain all day long. Even if using a Harrell measure you better use a scale on each charge if you need better repeatability.

All the Best,
D. White

#25 ·
I sure hope you are only trying low end loads!
Yeah, minimum starting load on the .45; and on the .40, which called for .6 CC.

BUT after all this, I've decided to give it a rest for a while so I don't do anything impetuous, shop around a bit, and get the rest of the stuff I need, like a scale, reloading manual, pullet buller, etc.

#26 ·
Ok, so how do you know it's 0.1cc?:dunno:
THAT I dipped 5 times to fill the .5 cc dipper, as I was grinding it down. Repeated the process several times until I was convinced it was 1/5 the volume of the .5cc plastic one that came with my dies.

My bad, I thought you were talking about measuring out 5 dips to load a case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.