close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

July Hightest Suicide Rate for Army

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by GlockPistola, Aug 16, 2012.

1. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  2. Glocksanity

Glocksanity

Finally figuring out that you are not protecting freedom but rather furthering the interests of American economic imperialism can get depressing. No wonder the rates are so high. It's tough to hide the truth any longer.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I would imagine that watching your friends die for absolutely nothing does take its toll. HH

4. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

A Marine good friend of mine after his 3rd tour in Iraq and Afghanistan said that if he had to go one more time he would rather catch a bullet to the head on his first day. It's ironic, but suicide is killing more of our soldiers in a month than the bad guys we are fighting.

5. arclight610

arclight610

Alot of suicide is actually relationship related.

6. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

Several deployments as well as PTSD can definitely affect a soldier's relationships, family, finances and pretty much every aspect of their life.

7. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

I know several guys who are back from recent deployments. Suicide can happen to anyone, military or civilian. But challenges like injuries and unemployment can take a toll. I had one buddy (Navy SEAL) who drank over a girl and died in a crash, but who is to say what caused that.

Just be there for your friends and keep an eye out for 'em after they come home. Especially if their circumstances are rough. I think that's when bad stuff happens on the home front.

And yeah, no the heck way we're going into Iran (or Syria). I've been within 15 km of Syria, and it looked nice - from a distance.

8. Detectorist

Detectorist

It's not the fact that we're fighting over there, the problem is we don't have enough troops. No one should have to deploy more than one full tour in a combat zone.

Even a partial tour can change folks. And it's not for the better.

God bless them all.

9. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

Amen to that! I know people who are on their 4th tour of duty.

10. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

We dont have the draft. We sure have stop loss however. I know guys who cried when they found out they were going home....only to be sucked back.

Everything about being deployed these days sucks the life from our solders. Its quite sad. 2 tours is a struggle.....4is mental homicide.

11. Mrs.Cicero

Mrs.Cicero Wayward Member

It doesn't help when the second tour causes major marital problems, and the call-up for the third puts divorce on the table. The friend this happened to at least had his 20 years in and was able to make the choice to retire, but that isn't the case more often than not.

Mrs.Cicero

12. Brucev

Brucev

Given the view of the Army, etc., held by the squatter and his ganstas, it is understandable that any soldier would be extremely discouraged at continue service.

13. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

If other countries want to declare war against Iran, let them. We'll sit this one out.

For the record, I was against the war in Iraq, but though Afghanistan had to be dealt with.

14. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

Stop-loss is an absolute BS policy for the current conflicts. There are situations where it may be needed but not what we are doing right now.

As I said above if Iraq or Afghanistan is that big of a threat, take the #### gloves off and take care of business. We have billions of dollars tied up in high-tech aircraft and weaponry - use it.

(No I don't mean nukes).

15. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

Exactly! But haven't you heard the latest propaganda about Syria? The reason why we did not find WMDs in Iraq is because Sadam Hussein transferred them to Syria before the invasion. :notlistening: Sounds like 100% USDA certified BS to me. I hope Americans are not stupid enough to fall for the same lie twice.

16. GlockPistola

GlockPistola

And this is our military's solution to this problem:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/suicide-rates-double-in-july-army-issues-nasal-spray-2012-8

What a joke and slap on the face to our military men and women (IMO). How about ending these absurd multiple re-deployments and endless wars that keep a lot of our men and women in a constant state of anxiety, isolation and sense of hopeless? While they will continue to die the pharmaceutical companies will be profiting from this new "solution."

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  17. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

This is just honestly depressing, I know one guy who did it in 03 after they put him on another deployment and his marriage/kids were on the rocks bad at the time.

There's a tempo that normal people cannot keep up with. And for IMO no good reason. Go with the Ron Paul theory, bring everybody home, let them live and let those animals deal with themselves.

18. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Subject has touched my family twice this year, but they were unsuccessful attempts, thankfully. The military only keeps count of successful suicides.

Unfortunately the army is trying to reinvent the wheel for this problem, and making it worse. Rather than using the known and proven ways to deal with it, the army cant get away from it's traditional mentality. When a soldier feels like life is too painful to continue, and that he's helpless and hopeless, having his commander yell "man up" at him only leads to him pulling the trigger.

General Dana Pitard here at Fort Bliss berated suicidal soldiers for being "selfish." The joint chiefs quickly distanced themselves from him for that comment (made to a reporter, no less).

No matter the cause, our military members deserve the best possible treatment for suicidal ideation. They are not getting it.

19. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

I'm going back to Afghanistan in a month... I just finished an 8 month deployment (contractor, not in the military).

I'll just say that the Army could handle some things much, much better than they currently do.

20. Detectorist

Detectorist

What can they do better with the current resources?