close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

JPL Wins religious discrimination suit

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by void *, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

Remember the other day I mentioned Ben Stein and his propaganda film? This is it. Ben Stein is a liar, and can not be trusted.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. steveksux

steveksux
    Expand Collapse
    Massive Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Randy

3. steveksux

steveksux
    Expand Collapse
    Massive Member

And apparently they all qualify as science to be presented in science classes.

Randy

4. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

That bastard! I hear he lied in an interview once... :whistling:

5. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Ben Stein is a media guy. But, he underestimates the complexity of cellular mechanical and chemical function. The video is simplistic beyond description, and also light years ahead of what was believed about cells in Darwin's time. I'm not saying that Stein is right, I'm saying that intelligent design is at least possible. So is natural phenomena.

6. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

If he's not a bastard.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wptn5RE2I-k"]Buzz Aldrin punches Bart Sibrel after being harassed by him - YouTube[/ame]

He owes you one.

7. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

8. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

I am conflicted. There was a time, when if you crossed a line, and did something completely rude, it was perfectly OK for some rightfully offended fellow to punch you right in the nose. And when you whined to a cop about it, he kicked you in the ass and told you to get out of town.

I often wonder if things are better or worse because those days are gone. It's probably a mix. There are probably several dozen people that have been spared a beating they did not deserve, and thousands that have been spared a beating they deserved. So I don't know whether we are better off or not.

9. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

No, Cavalry Doc. You are missing the point. This is not 'some theists' claiming ID is a scientific claim, while 'other theists' claim it is a religious one.

This is particular theists (the discovery institute) claiming ID is a scientific claim, and not religion, in one context, while those very same theists (the discovery institute) are turning around and supporting a lawsuit whose very basis requires that ID not be a scientific claim, but a religious one.

They are trying to have it both ways at the same time. Do you understand?

#69 void *, Jan 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  10. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

I only watched enough of the video to verify that it was him.

I'll take you word for it. You know more about then I do anyway.

I don't think many would disagree with that.

There is a video of Richard Dawkins and PZ Meyers (sp?) talking about their experience being interviewed for the movie, and being kicked off the property of the premier. I'll see if I can find it.

11. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

That is a good point. Being the libertarian that I am, harassing someone on public (sidewalk, street) or a disinterested 3rd party's property, should not be against the law. Punching the guy should be.

Now when the Hotel employee told the guy to stop, you either stop or leave the property.

12. hogfish

hogfish
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member

13. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

OK. I totally get your point. I'll concede that some high falootin' "THE DISCOVERY INSTITUTE" guys claimed that ID is a scientific claim. The matter is settled.

But the FIRST CHURCH OF ATHEISM believes atheism is a religion, The 7th Circuit Court found "The problem here was that the prison officials did not treat atheism as a "religion,"

So, if you are going to argue that I should agree with everyone that does not agree with you, and use the same arguments, would you mind getting back to me just as soon as you inform all of the GTRI participants that the issue is settled, and that they must submit to the opinion that Atheism is a Religion. After all, some official sounding people agree with it.:cool::whistling::rofl::tongueout:

Be sure to get back to me as soon as you have received complete consensus on that, or at least post a link to you trying that, it would be comical.

#73 Cavalry Doc, Jan 21, 2013
  14. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Being a libertarian leaning conservative. I believe that it should be legal to speak your mind, even if it is offensive. I also believe you should shut the ef up and take a well deserved beating by a rightfully offended fellow if 12 normal people agree you got what you deserved.

One should be responsible for what they do. They should also expect others to act accordingly to their affronts if they commit one. True responsible liberty means going out of your way to not infringe on the liberty of others. Once you allow anyone to do anything without consequences, you've crossed into anarchy. At that point we are wild animals. Might is right, and to the conqueror go the spoils.

You have to balance that sort of stuff. It's hard to draw a straight line on that kind of stuff. I have punched someone that richly deserved it, and didn't get in trouble for it. I have watched someone punch someone that didn't deserve it, and get away with it...... (for a while).

Justice is an illusive goal.

15. void *

void *
    Expand Collapse
    Dereference Me!

You should know quite well by now that it is my position that while it is *possible* for some people approach their own atheism in a religious manner, that does not require all atheists to do so. If there were a 'First Church of Golf' that would not make all golfers religious.

And if you'd read your own link, you'd know "the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith or none at all."

The court did not rule atheism was a religion. It ruled that it had to be treated equivalently for First Amendment purposes, not that it met a common definition of religion, which is a distinction that you apparently are completely unable to make (although, as evidenced in the link you provided, the court was. Legal definitions do not have to match reality. The EPA definition of 'solid waste' is such that solids, liquids, and gases can meet the definition - that does not mean that when someone talks about solids on a message board, they mean gases, too)

#75 void *, Jan 21, 2013
  16. Syclone538

Syclone538
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:

They talk about the video you posted.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1ZmW9lLW0w"]Richard Dawkins and PZ Myers talk about getting Expelled - YouTube[/ame]

17. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

The issue is that you are trying to argue that because some people that you don't agree with use a certain argument, that I need to subscribe to it also.

So, when you achieve complete consensus that Atheism Is a Religion in GTRI, I'll go with your argument. Cherry picking from the courts finding is no better than cherry picking from any other opinion you don't agree with that is not mine.

Until then, I'll have my own opinion, even if it disagrees with some people that agree with me on certain positions. I'll agree that as far as the Constitution goes, it guarantees freedom of religion. I understand how some believe that the constitution guarantees freedom FROM religion, but I don't agree.

In the nicest way I can say it, when you want to debate, debate with the fellow you are conversing with, not some other guy you heard about once upon a time......

:wavey:

18. ksg0245

ksg0245
    Expand Collapse

That point has been made before here. It may even have been made in that locked thread.

19. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Oh dear. I would certainly not agree with him being discouraged from watching the video. That's wrong, and you can gripe at the guy who did that all day long with my permission, if you can find him.....

The film of the complexity of the cell, is actually rather simple, when you really understand what is happening in every cell in your body.

The little swipes and odd offenses mentioned in the clip you've posted taken do illustrate a oppositional stance.

I'm just about as equally offended by the creationists as I am the randomists, both sides seem to have their religious zealots. Both sides seem to have an unhealthy amount of close mindedness.

20. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Point is, because some theists have made an argument, I should not be held to their reasoning (or lack thereof), any more than all atheists should have to agree that atheism is a religion because it has a church, or a legal finding in that direction, or an agnostic that realizes that it's true.....

Either way, I will not hold him responsible for the arguments of others, and am asking him do show me the same courtesy, or get all of the atheists to admit atheism is a religion, whichever happens first, I'm OK with it.:whistling: