close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Johnson Javelin/J. Gold Vs. Zebco 33

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sentry, May 21, 2002.

1. Sentry

Sentry
    Expand Collapse

Planning on doing a variety of fishing, up to about 2.5 foot carp. Both of these have been recommended to me, and I can't really decide much. I also know the Javelin Gold is only a few bucks more, not sure of what the main difference is. This would mainly be for the little lady, who is about 5 foot and getting better at fishing by the day. Any pluses or cons to either, or one better suited?

2. switch625

switch625
    Expand Collapse
    S. S. Squirrel

they're both inexspensive beginners reels. the improved rhino 33(red) reel is supposed to have metal/harder gears and be smoother. for small fish they're ok but for big carp i would think they would "strip" the reel. you might want to get a spinning reel. for the price you would probably be better off. shouldn't be any more difficult to cast either.

3. Sentry

Sentry
    Expand Collapse

No Rhinos sold around here, it's essentially completely narrowed down to these two. They're for the little lady mainly anyways.

4. yourseo

yourseo
    Expand Collapse

I can accompany you join something not

5. oneofthose

oneofthose
    Expand Collapse

If that's the choice, I cast a vote for the Zebco. I can't speak to their current production, but I have a few old 33's and 33 Classic's that are probably 30+ years old. They have handled line up to 14# test without issue, and I have experienced their drag to be effective and user-friendly.

That said, if you expect the carp to approach the 8-10 pound neighborhood, I'd go to a spinning reel and a heavier rod than you would likely put a 33 on.