Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Job interview for LE jobs

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Diesel McBadass, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    Haven't had any yet but wondering how these go, and how to dress for these and such. I know its mostly scenarios local with what-would-you-do type stuff but don;t know what it would be like federally, most job interviews ive had (wal amrt, pizza hut, shaws, etc, ahve been jokes.) Lookin for advice here seein theres been several interview threads.

2. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Central Arkansas
    Don't forget to duct tape ballistic plates to you back.
  3. Facejackets

Nov 29, 2008
    Las Vegas
    "Would you rather have sex with a dog, or cat?"

And yes, you have to pick on or the other.
  4. Naelbis

Oct 22, 2009
    Wear a nicely pressed suit and expect a decent mix between the standard interview questions and more job specific stuff. Shake everyone's hand that is introduced, remember their names, sit up straight, be respectful, look them in the eye when speaking, answer confidently but don't be afraid to admit if you don't know the answer to something. That is the best advice I can give without knowing more about where you are applying.
  5. Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Good advice.
  6. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    How shpuld i dress? any need to buy any new threads?
  7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Ask question in Cop Talk area.

My suggestion is for ANY interview. Go online and find out some info about company, who is President/owner, cheif..... What their "mission statement" is.
    Learn a little about area, some issues that are in news...

You can never go wrong with being EARLY, well dressed, polite, etc. Good luck.
  8. emopunker2004

emopunker2004 Da Jaila'

Apr 17, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    For my interview it was minimum of dress pants dress shirt and tie. suit preferred.
  9. emopunker2004

emopunker2004 Da Jaila'

Apr 17, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I thought that was saved for the psych eval? :dunno:
  10. boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    You need a decent suite. This is a professional career, just because your in a uniform on the job doesn't make it any less professional than a business setting.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  11. ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Suit. Pressed shirt with no wrinkles. Shine the shoes.
  12. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

This is exactly how I dressed for my interview that I had with the department I am almost finished testing for. You can never be over dressed for a formal job interview, and you get one chance to make a good first impression. I would also add make sure you are clean shaved and shower and use DO before you show up. Don't laugh! There were at least two guys that showed up the same day as me that smelled like a freaking dive bar.
  13. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Specify female dog and you are good to go.

Bring a dozen donuts.

Little known secret, if 6 are blueberry cake donuts, you will be offered the job at the end of the interview and be issued a handgun upon acceptance of job offer, prior to completion to the academy.
  14. BWT

Apr 27, 2010
    Suit and shined shoes as mentioned above. Make good eye contact when answering questions. Be confident and don't let them talk you into changing your answer. Some situational questions will have more than one correct answer. Prepare a closing statement that explains why you are the best candidate for the position. They might ask what you would do if you saw a fellow officer breaking the rules.
  15. When I interviewed for the PA State Police back in the early 90's, I was the only candidate who showed up on my scheduled day who wore a suit. There were guys who actually wore shorts and t-shirts. I was surprised, but I had mentors in LE who I could go to for advice, so I had an idea of what to expect.

LE is an extremely competitive field to break into. LEOs also make very quick appraisals of people based on their appearance. It is part of their job. If you show up for an interview dressed professionally, their impression will be favorable (i.e. you are serious about the job). If you show up in shorts, your resume will most likely end up in the shredder.

In my case, after the interview, my ranking state-wide went from @ 1200 on the list to the low 80's. Maybe I just aced the interview, but I think appearance had something to do with it too.
  16. puckhead

Feb 26, 2009
    Decent suit and tie. Most of my questions were not scenarios. Why are you here, why would you fit well with them. What made you want to be a cop etc. What is the Chiefs name...for real lol
  17. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Not to thread jack, but if you are currently with the PA State Police, please feel free to PM me any advice you have for the academy. I hope to complete the psych this month, and start the academy in November if all goes as planned.
  18. DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Since all the good advice has been given I'll just say dress to impress: