close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Jesus Gonzalez trial UPDATE: Jesus Convicted on lesser charges

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by IndyGunFreak, Oct 23, 2011.

1. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    [Moderator Note: See Post #62 for Conviction]

For those who aren't familiar... read the link, or search almost any gun forum(especially opencarry.org)

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/milwaukee-shooting-case-puts-focus-on-gun-rights-132388913.html

This one will be interesting.

There's really been no strong indication on the part of Gonzales' guilt or innocence either way. There's certain aspects of the case that may help or hurt Jesus (just going off news articles, since so little has actually been released).

Hurt-- The dead suspect never made it out of his vehicle, both were apparently unarmed. You have a paralyzed (read, sympathetic) man to testify who says he was just walking down the street minding his own business when this happened.

Help -- Not a whole lot, except that the two had just left a bar, and it seems reasonable they had been drinking.

Then you have the wildcards--- Jesus was a VOCAL supporter of open carry, had been arrested a few times for it (no charges filed either time), filed lawsuits against the state for those arrests. WI's CCW law goes into effect in less than a week.. most likely just a few days after the verdict in this case will be handed down.

All I say, is let justice be served, no matter what that may be.

IGF

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
  2. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia

3. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Guilty or innocent, I have a gut feeling this won't end well for him.

4. R4lf

R4lf

Sep 25, 2011
    Norman, OK
    It's interesting how you don't get Jesus' full story, not even a considerable description of what happened. All you know is that two guys walked out of a bar, they get shot. Odd journalistic view, IMO.

V/R,
    R4lf

5. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
  6. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Not that surprising, if he's smart he's listening to his lawyer and not speaking to the press.

Randy

7. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas
    I read in the comments the two men he shot had prior assault convictions?

Is this true? And if so, can the defense bring this up in court?

8. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I wonder if undersized boolits fired out of a smooth bore barrel could be construed as an attempt to not leave a ballistic signature?:dunno:

Listen to me sounding all CSI-ish!:supergrin:

9. xenophon

xenophon

Aug 15, 2003
    WI
  10. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Nov 12, 2005
    Louisiana
    I'm sure the state is really interested in helping him out.

11. bigj480

bigj480 CLM

Jun 12, 2006
    Not exactly who I want representing firearm owners, but it's impossible to tell what really happened from just the report. I guess the prosecution has more evidence than what i included in the report, otherwise I don't see enough evidence to prove guilt.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    While there may not be a lot of evidence proving guilt in the report, he said he shot the guys right on the 911 tape. The Prosecutor (for whatever reason) has determined this is not a justifiable shooting, and is pursuing a case. Now a jury will decide.

Personally, whether his story is true or not, I think the paralyzed victim is going to be very difficult for the defense to overcome. He's gonna be very sympathetic on the stand, then you've got Gonzalez shooting a guy who apparently never even got out of his vehicle...

Like I said, I don't know if he is guilty or not, but he better hope he gets a very gun friendly jury, because like BailRecoveryAgent said, I do not see this ending well for him.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    While I can't speak for Wisconsin, I know here, I sat on a murder trial for a guy. We didn't find out about his violent criminal past until after the verdict was read. We thought we were going to be dismissed. We were sent back to the "jury room" for about 5min, brought back out, and basically told now we had to decide if he was guilty of being a habitual violent offender, that was when we found out about his past.. and then the Prosecutor and Defense atty' began making their arguments for/and against him being convicted as a habitual offender.

IGF

14. Novocaine

Novocaine

Jun 10, 2004
    After reading the complaint and witness accounts when this case first surfaced and after looking at the parking lot layout and visualizing who was where and how the bullets were impacting the car I can’t imagine Mr. Gonzales being anything but a triggerhappy douchbag who finally decided to bring his SD fantasy into the real world at expense of two innocent unarmed guys who were minding their own business.

Truth be told I’m aching to hear his side of the story and how he perceived a driver that he shot through the closed passenger side window a deadly threat.

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    This has always been one of the things I had difficulty accepting.

16. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas
    So does or will anyone have the scoop on what is or is about to go on for the trial?

17. pauldunlop13

pauldunlop13

Sep 22, 2011
    Aurora, CO
    I wonder if his defense for this, is that the car was trying to run him over - AFTER he shot the guy on the street

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    That's possible, but I think that would backfire. Basically, at it's core, you have 2 unarmed men, who have been shot. If he tries to say that after he shot the first one (who is alive to say he was simply minding his own business), it's easy to surmise the 2nd one was just trying to get the heck out of dodge... or was the shooter trying to make sure whoever was fleeing (ie.. a witness) was to scared to report it to the police.

You're right, he could make that argument, and obviously I'm only going off what little has been reported in the media.. that just seems to be a tough thing to explain away.

19. Novocaine

Novocaine

Jun 10, 2004
    The car was leaving the bar parking lot adjacent to a sidewalk via the driveway at the very end of the parking lot. The driveway was crossing the sidewalk. Shooter was standing on a sidewalk some 15 feet(?IIRC) away from the driveway, about 2-3 o’clock from the driver’s POV. He was not standing on the part of the sidewalk adjacent to the parking lot.