close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Jersey Pit Bull

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by rppnj, Mar 8, 2012.

1. rppnj

rppnj
    Expand Collapse

I'm retired and was taking my morning walk within our development. Coming the other way on the same side of the street was a woman walking a dog. Whenever that happens, I automatically cross to the other side so as not to cause an issue in case the dog is a little "jumpy". As I got closer, I could see that the woman was small; maybe 5'2" and was walking a large Pit Bull with a head like a "block of granite". The woman was holding the leash with both hands, the dog was pulling her and she was having a hard time controlling it; then the dog started "huffing" and pulling toward me. My first thought was, "If that dog decides to break away from this little woman, there's no way that she would be able to hold it back; and living in NJ, I have absolutely no way of protecting myself since it's impossible for a normal citizen to get a CCW in New Jersey (only politicians and/or celebrities can get them). Has anyone else encountered an issue like this? What did you or what would you do in a situation like this? I'm certainly not going to stop my walks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. saxconnection

saxconnection
    Expand Collapse
    Run 'n' Gunner

Not to sound like a smart ass, but I would move to a more "rights friendly" state if possible.

Adam

3. rppnj

rppnj
    Expand Collapse

I agree with you and I wish that I could leave this corrupt state but my grandchildren live here and most other members of my family so leaving the state is not an option.

4. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE
    Expand Collapse
    Leonum A Ignis

I've heard OC spray works well on dogs. There's one option that is better than nothing.

5. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

Carry a 7 iron with you... or a good hickory "walking cane" with a knob handle.

6. rppnj

rppnj
    Expand Collapse

My OC spray is "out of date"...I'll get more. Thanks!

7. rppnj

rppnj
    Expand Collapse

I like that! OC and a walking stick...that should do it...although I'd prefer my Glock 26!

8. mdlott

mdlott
    Expand Collapse

You could always gut it w/ a sharp folder, if necessary. You WILL get bit first, however.

9. pipedreams

pipedreams
    Expand Collapse

Being your retired a good oak or hickory cane would fit right in. You can carry a cane anywhere including airports to protect yourself. Take a look at the following site to get an idea about defending yourself with a cane.

http://www.canemasters.com/

10. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20
    Expand Collapse

I'd be far far more concerned by the human than the dog.

. . but that could be just me.:upeyes:

Dogs are people too. Just far better behaved and lots more predictable.

11. poodleplumber

poodleplumber
    Expand Collapse

I am not sure what you mean by "huffing," but did the dog show any signs of aggression? Ninety-nine percent of the scores of bulldogs I have encountered wanted to lick my face. He might have been pulling on the leash to come greet you.

12. mdsn969

mdsn969
    Expand Collapse

Bear spray...

13. 1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck
    Expand Collapse

Pepper spray, for sure, however, I urge against "sprays" and think guardian pyrotechnic a better option, and also, be advised that a pit is one of the most resistant breeds to non lethal defense ime. Good Luck.

14. ZekerMan

ZekerMan
    Expand Collapse
    ZekerMan

Climb a tree...............???:)

15. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

A few years ago I was walking my dog Molly to the Post Office. As we passed by a house located very near to the street a very large heavily muscled bull dog jumped off the front porch bounded through the open cab of his owners pick-up truck and attacked. He got Molly by the back of the head and neck. I had no handgun handy. So, I kicked him hard enough to punt him into the next zip code. Amazing what a very hard kick will do to such an animal when it is put in the right place! The owner saw it and came running hollering, "Don't hurt my dog!" His dog didn't show any sign of wanting a second dose of what I gave him. And as he acted like he wanted to get all bowed up and show himself, I told him not to step across the ditch and he'd be alright. Then I walked down to the local police station and told them precisely what had happened. Amazing how that gentleman discovered he had responsibility to control his animal. What was really amazing was that later that afternoon I went back to his house to apologize for the incident happening. If I'd known his dog was out, Molly and I would have taken a different route. Odd thing was... the man had cleared out. He had vacated the house. Really odd.

16. rppnj

rppnj
    Expand Collapse

I like dogs and I'm not afraid of them. On my walks, I'll often approach a friendly dog and pet it (with the owner's permission). My problem in this instance was that the dog was obviously too big and strong for a tiny woman like this to control. By "huffing" (probably not the correct word to have used) I meant a kind of coughing sound caused by the dog pulling so hard on the leash toward me. Note: a good friend of mine owns a Pit Bull / Boxer mix so I'm used to being around similar breeds. My question was meant to be more of a "what if?" scenario since the "Peoples' Republik of New Jersey does not allow CCW.

17. CTfam

CTfam
    Expand Collapse
    DREAM BIG.

I love Pits! I would have petted that monster on the head!

To answer your hypothetical question... I would move out of NJ, or carry anyway, or buy a large folding knife. Or buy a big dog with a head like a "block of granite" to guard you. :rofl:

18. Fastbear

Fastbear
    Expand Collapse

If you are concerned about possibly stopping an aggressive dog from attacking your animal while walking it consider this. Had a large loose dog (breed unknown) rush up to intertwine with the two small Corgis I was walking. Hard to control one dog in this circumstance well alone two, but the little ones are small enough for me to one hand the leashes. Whipped out the OC spray and cut loose. The can was not a stream spray but and angle spray which makes more of a cloud. The big dog and me downwind received a small fragrance of it. The big guy lost all interest and ran off fast. I've been through direct stream spray and it will get your attention right now. Anyway wife and I no longer carry the fog type spray which looses effectiveness after 5 feet. Moved up to stream spray which should work from 8 to 12 feet depending on the wind direction.
    In the worst situation I will shoot the offending animal if control cannot be established. Just remember that animals and humans will recover from the effects of OC spray. Great sinus cleaner.

19. garebel

garebel
    Expand Collapse

Bear Spray, cane, knife, asp baton.... all of the above, if necessary.
    If she can't control it, and it charges you, then you control it.
    I beg to differ with the poster as to the predictability of pitbulls, but we are certainly entitled to our differing opinions.
    I have heard the tape of a seven year old girl screaming as a pitbull ripped off her arm, and I've seen the pictures of what was left of a young mother here in my city who ran to protect her child from a pitbull attacking him.
    I have no patience for pitbulls that are not COMPLETELY controlled/restrained by owners, including the situation posted by the OP.
    Ownership of any animal capable of even possibly harming an individual carries with it the responsibility to maintain control over it at all times.

Frankly, I don't care if any individual loves, owns, pets, kisses in the mouth, whatever....just keep your animal under control at all times, especially where leash laws apply.
    If you don't, and I hurt or kill it when it comes charging at me or anyone else, thats on you.

#19 garebel, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  20. 1canvas

1canvas
    Expand Collapse

i have raised pit bulls years ago and i can tell you if its a tuff pit [all are not tuff dogs] any impact weapon is pretty useless. a large gun or a good K-Bar knife is what is needed, bear spray would also be a good option. if its a tuff pit the average person can not comprehend both the damage the dog can do or the abuse it can endure. if i am around a strange pit i will have my hand on my gun, they can turn on in the blink of an eye. i have worked with many breeds in personal protection for over 20 years and nothing compares to a tuff pit. that said, i would trust my trained pits with my life when i had them and you won't find a more loyal dog.

#20 1canvas, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012