Jerry Can Score

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by mac66, May 9, 2013.

1. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

Out on my daily bike ride (17 miles today) I ran across a garage sale with 4 Jerry cans. One was pretty beat up and rusted along the seams. Other three were clean inside though dirty and needing paint outside. The painted yellow one was for deisel. At $5 ea. I didn't even bother to haggle. They are old, one is dated 71, the others '72 and '73. They will need O rings for the caps and a little paint but otherwise good to go. And...no I didn't carry them home on my bike. Drove back to pick them up.

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 mac66, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    JERRY BROWN BANS THE WORD ‘ALIEN’ FROM CALIFORNIA LABOR LAW The Okie Corral Aug 11, 2015
    JERRY BROWN BANS THE WORD ‘ALIEN’ FROM CALIFORNIA LABOR LAW Political Issues Aug 11, 2015
    It's good to be Jerry The Okie Corral Aug 7, 2015
    Latest from climate change expert Jerry Brown Political Issues Jul 22, 2015
    Jerry Miculek shooting a Coonan .357 1911 Forums Apr 4, 2015

3. Wicked nice score! :thumbsup:

4. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

heck, id media blast them and repaint

5. Hmm, I got the wrong impression of this thread from the title.

6. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

7. Yeah, poor Jerry :supergrin:

8. Me, too...I was thinking "Well, that's good, but can he play defense?"

9. Deputydave

Millennium Member

Excellent score! It's amazing the stuff you can find at a garage sale, flea market or estate sale.

10. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

I gotta start riding my bike again. You seem to find all kinds of good stuff on the cheap while riding your bike!

11. I like fixing up dejected fuel cans. I recently picked up 2 older gas cans out of a recycle bin, no spouts & dirty. I cleaned them up, re-spouted them, & added an air hole to the rear. Now they are great. The EPA can shove those new spouts where there is no sun.

12. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I'm retired, so it's what I do...:supergrin:

BTW, I cleaned them up and scraped off some of the flaking paint. Going to have to take a wire brush to the yellow one and then some sand paper to the others before I repaint them.

#11 mac66, May 10, 2013
  13. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I bought these last summer at a garage sale. No caps but they did have spouts. VG condition. I think I paid $10 for the pair. I also bought three or four of the older 5 gallon plastic cans for $1/each

[​IMG]

#12 mac66, May 10, 2013
  14. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Where would you buy new gaskets and spouts to fit old jerry cans? Afaik, they're not available. :dunno:

15. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

Amazon, ebay or most army surplus places have them.

#14 mac66, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  16. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Aha, so they do, thanks. Haven't found them at hardware stores and we don't have a decent army surplus nearby.

17. As answered above you can buy the spouts on line. If all you need is a gasket, the rubber seal off standard oil filters work fine. Next time you change your oil, save the gasket.

18. mac66

mac66 Huge Member
    Millennium Member

I didn't know that. That's an excellent idea. I bet you could go to an oil change place and get all the ones you wanted for free as well.

19. Just another thought...... Go to car washes. They frequently have 15,30, and 55 gallen drums from the cleaners and waxes. They give these drums away just so they don't have to pay to get them removed. They are HDPE so they are made out of the same material as plastic gas cans. They work great and are free.

If you want gaskets for your Jerry cans, the drums have 2 inch bung fittings that have gaskets the same size as the cans to. Most often they just throw out the plugs with the gaskets on them.