close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Jelly Fish

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Steff1, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Steff1

Steff1

May 13, 2008
    My family is headed to the outer banks in August, do I need to worry about jelly fish and if so, what are some items I should add to my FAK ?

2. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    Peanut Butter? Bread?

:dunno:

3. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    You always have a chance of running into a jellyfish, but the worst you'll see (probably the Moon Jellyfish) causes only mild skin irritation. The bad boys like the Box Jellyfish and the Man 'o War (which are not true jellyfish,) don't live in those waters, so you won't run into them.

Have some vinegar and some MSG handy for the rare chance that you get stung. Make a paste, and it will effectively neutralize any venom that you might get on your skin. The irritation is generally short-lived anyway.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  4. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    I don't know about the Outer Banks, but August/September is Jellyfish time from NJ to MD. Its a water temp thing. Colder water means more jellyfish near the surf.

Don't sweat it. I have swam with jellyfish in the ocean since I was a kid and never got stung. Just avoid touching them.

If you get stung you got to pee on it, so no need to bring anything extra in your FAK :whistling:

5. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    Ammonia is what the lifeguards use for jellyfish stings. It neutralizes the poison.

6. Steff1

Steff1

May 13, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys. Do the stingers dissolve on their own ?

7. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Its not a physical stinger, but more like a chemical burn.

8. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    They sting you with microscopic needles.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nematocyst
    Here's some first aid;
    http://firstaid.webmd.com/wilderness-jellyfish-sting-treatment

Some scientists are predicting a world wide jellyfish bloom in the next 20-50 years from rising ocean temps and Japan's ill conceived attempt to control the overpopulation of jellyfish in their area.
    They dragged nets through the schools of jellyfish to kill them, but when they get cut up like that, it triggers some kind of reaction and they 'spawn'. Not sure of the technical stuff, but the end result is that killing them will cause them to come back in numbers never seen before.

9. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Varies greatly. If you have a lot of wind out of the east coming ashore from the direction of the ocean, you can get tropical overwash from the Gulf stream which is only about 20 miles out.

It can bring crystal clear Caribbean like water. I have also had it go for a week straight and found wheelbarrow size piles of dead jellyfish up and down the beach. Other trips you can go without seeing a one.

The clear/whitish nettle like ones are most common, rarely you can see a red one and I think those may be worse. We don't have any tropical killers though, just the nuisances.