close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Java Virtual Machine (jvm)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BinLurking, Oct 23, 2004.

1. BinLurking

BinLurking
    Expand Collapse
    Your Phone

After I installed XP SP2, the JVM on my IE disappeared. Now I can't run the texting program/site that I was using to text my friends in Asia. Does Sun Microsystem have an equivalent of Microsoft's JVM? I went to the MS site and JVM is no longer available. I have downloaded JAVA2 V.xxx but it doesn't seem to work. HELP!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mzenzer

mzenzer
    Expand Collapse
    Argus-eyed

3. David_G17

David_G17
    Expand Collapse
    /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

it has to do with Sun's case against MS. MS tried to steal Java and claim it as their own. MS lost, so they try to pretend Java doesn't exist.

4. BinLurking

BinLurking
    Expand Collapse
    Your Phone

Yup, that's what I downloaded. I don't think JVM is included though. I can't run the Java based testing application.

5. Bronson7

Bronson7
    Expand Collapse

Just go to the Sun site and download it. I did on mine and it works fine. Goes much smoother if you save it to a cd for a burn, then install it, plus you'll have it for reformats, etc.
    Bronson7

6. fastvfr

fastvfr
    Expand Collapse
    Ancient Tech

Micro$oft's Virtual Machine is a sad, sickly, pale approximation of the REAL Java, anyway, so you are really coming out ahead by DLing the real thing...

I use Mozilla, and suggest to all my clients that they use it, too. I install it then activate the popup blocking, set up their e-mail accounts, and install Macromedia Flash Player and Java, then disable Java's Caching and ability to Update itself.

That gives you all of the good with none of the bad.

Just enable IE in the list of applications for Java so you can do the M$ Updates...

Best regards,

FastVFR