JAVA threat in IE 6 thru8

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by AntHill, Jan 14, 2013.

1. I heard the news about a JAVA security exploit in MicroSoft's Inter Explorer - specifically versions 6 thru 8. Supposedly a patch is coming out today.

I haven't seen a lot of detail of what the threat is, and why IE 9 is unaffected.

My question: since all browsers use JAVA, are all browsers affected? (Chrome, Firefox, etc)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 AntHill, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. 1. It's "Microsoft"

2. It's "Internet Explorer"

3. It's all browsers.

4. See http://www.networkworld.com/communi...patch-experts-warn-flaws-may-take-2-years-fix
    "HD Moore, chief security officer of Rapid7, said it could take two years for Oracle to fix all the security flaws in the version of Java used to surf the web; that timeframe doesn't count any additional Java exploits discovered in the future. "The safest thing to do at this point is just assume that Java is always going to be vulnerable," Moore said. "Folks don't really need Java on their desktop."

5. As a reminder, Java and Javascript are two different things.

6. If you're still using Internet Explorer, you probably don't care about vulnerabilities anyway, because it's always had holes.

7. Unless you know that you need Java, disable or uninstall it. It you're not sure, you don't need it.

8. See also http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1464084

3. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

JAVA did automatic update last night for me..........I'm safe now, I think.....:wavey:

4. Java: Write once, exploit everywhere

5. Sorry but I'm fairly computer illiterate - how would I disable Java? Where do I find this?

Thanks in advance.

6. Go into Add/Remove Programs (if using Windows) and uninstall Java

7. Supposedly version 7 update 11 has fixed this. Or uninstall Java

8. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

Troof. IE, a great way to download a better browser.

9. Eset Nod32 blocks this guy like a champ. I checked my Management Console and noticed it blocked a variant of it a clients pc. Hes one of my bigger power users and it would have been a ****ty day for me if his pc went down.