close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Jackpot mining the berms today

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by norton, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Early on this fine Saturday morning, I made my weekly visit to the outdoor club where I shoot. The local Sheriff's dept. had been using the pistol range last week.
    I was surprised the bay I normally shoot had few bullets to be had.
    Before leaving I noticed one of the bays that gets very little use had obviously been fired on.
    Bullets everywhere. And nice big jacketed .45 acp bullets with lots of lead inside.
    Hardly anyone at my club shoots jacketed bullets. Too cheap like me I guess. We are mostly lead and plated bullet shooters.
    Not the local gendarme. They fire that expensive store bought stuff. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    The only thing better than a big pile of scrap range lead is the big pile of shiny cast bullets it will provide you with. SJ 40

3. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    But you missed out on their brass?

4. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    That's what I was wondering....

That good, once fired Federal/ Speer /Winchester LE brass....

5. ranger1968

ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    Yeah but on the LE qualification days you can usually score on both.

6. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    The only thing I really like about the .45acp is finding the big chunks of lead from them in the berm. Finding the cast boolets are my favorite but the plated are more than fine. Mixed in with a load of jacketed lead, the cast and plated make the lead hard enough to use as is.

7. They either "policed" their brass, or somebody else got it. .45 acp brass is almost never left on the ground at my range.

8. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I need to get in on this action. My range is a 45 minute drive, though. Norton, are you still using that red mesh metal trash can thing to seperate the dirt?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Good score. I mine the berm as often as I can, best after rainy days.

10. No, that was someone else. I use a three prong garden cultivator and drop them in a kitty litter jug. We are warned not to "dig" into the berms, so I just scrape dirt along the top.

11. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.
    Now I know why I'm not finding as much lead. Norton has it all.

free men own guns slaves dont

12. We must be the only two looking for lead in the berms. I never see anyone else doing it.

13. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    There is so much lead bs around, many are afraid to shoot them, Even more afraid to cast them. Get as much as you can, it gets tougher to find free every year. If I had 2000#, it would not be enough, Jack would have backed me up on that.:supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  14. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Yes Jack would have, so in his honor I will. SJ 40

15. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Seriously though, the way the EPA is going, getting lead will become harder & harder. The lead ww is becoming extinct, lead roofing & plumbing, pretty much gone. So I collect where ever I can, but don't waste a lot of time or gas doing it. Keep your ears open, ask when you meet someone that may have a connection. Almost any lead based alloy can be made into bullets.if it dents/scratches, it will cast.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  16. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

Mar 26, 2001
    greentown ind.

well to tell the truth i only give a good looking over when i have the kids with me. my back just doesn't like it

17. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    My brother did some hard core mining at a very well used public range a few years back. It yielded after a few DAYS of smelting, 500 plus pounds of casting lead- nice little Lee 1 lb ingots! And $90 of copper! The copper went to the recycler for the cash and all those ingots reside under my reloading bench! I now have all the lead I'll need for casting . Problem now is getting enough powder to send them back down range! And I cast for EVERY firearm I own!:supergrin:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  18. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    500# is good start, but never enough, especially if you are shooing big bores.

19. ejs54

ejs54 Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    Very nice score indeed! I don't have minable berms where I shoot, or those that do are usually FMJ's but I can appreciate the thrill of the find. I don't cast my own either. My best score so far was ~250 once fired PMC .223 brass....with the boxes laying off to the side too. As if they knew I was coming.

(it's a small/ slow range and was there for hours before visiting that bay; wanted to make sure said shooter wasn't intending to claim)