close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

J&G NY-1 Model 64?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Diesel McBadass, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass
    Expand Collapse
    Tactically Epic

Anyone bought any? Wondering if its worth it, im not a dao fan but pre lock smith k frames for under 300 seems nice. Wondering what the different batches do differently to affect price, maybe they base it on quality tier?

Would you jump on this?

http://www.jgsales.com/handguns-c-16_211_431.html

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Bill Keith

Bill Keith
    Expand Collapse

The hammer is bobbed and the single action notch in the lockwork has been ground off. I belive the LEO's that use guns like this call them 'neutered'. Not sure about where you live, but around here, S&W model 10's that are unadulterated are still available, from the thin 'pencil' barrels to the heavy 4" barrels. I paid $240 for a blued model 10 with 4" heavy barrel, and $275 for a 4" stainless heavy barrel that has an old TX dept of Criminal Juatice scribed serial number under the ejector rod on the barrel. Both guns have original S&W wooden grips and T grip adaptors I put on them. The blued gun had come with Ajax grips and the stainless gun had Uncle Mike's rubber grips.:wavey:
    Both guns are great shooters, hit to point of aim with 158gr ammo.:cool:

3. MajorD

MajorD
    Expand Collapse

true NY-1 revolvers are somewhat of a hot item and collectible due to the association with NYPD. I see no notation that the guns at J&G are true NY-1's which were actually marked NY-1 in the yoke cut,as opposed to just regular guns ordered dao for some other organization. A NY-1 at around 300 would be a fair but not smoking deal, a dao without NY-1 markings would be a so so deal to me. fixed sight k frame smiths are pretty much all over for under 300 at the local shops- paying 300 bucks then adding ffl and shipping makes these not a super deal.

4. ak103k

ak103k
    Expand Collapse

I got one of the DAO 64's off them a couple of years back for $229. It wasnt the better grade, but other than the grips, it was still pretty clean. Just some minor holster/finish wear. Its got a buttery smooth trigger and shoots great.

I dont know who or how they cleaned them, but its the only gun Ive ever bought that was absolutely spotlessly clean. I mean it, there wasnt a speck of anything on it anywhere.

Youll probably want to change out the grips, but I dont think they are a bad deal for the money.

5. boozer

boozer
    Expand Collapse

#5 boozer, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I have read somewhere that with Smith and Wesson revolvers that are no longer made you don't pay too much but rather you pay too early.

7. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

If you want to actually shoot a DA revolver the way it was intended, the NY1's are excellent and have very good DA triggers. IMO under $350 (including transaction fees) is well worth it.
    A non 'NY-1' marked DAO would be a so-so deal.

[​IMG]