close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IWB, how do you carry?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by JAS104, Jul 3, 2012.

1. JAS104

JAS104
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Hey guys, looking for some feedback:

I'm looking to see where other people carry IWB, see if I'm missing some benefits of some change. What are your preferences for ride height, cant, and position?

I'm 5'10, 160 lbs, carry high, forward cant (barrel pointing back) at my 4:00. Thanks guys!

Reason being I was thinking this is because I was wondering whether riding lower IWB rather than higher up towards my torso would affect concealability. I know body type effects how you carry, but I'm just curious. Thanks!

-J :cowboy:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 JAS104, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

6'0", 215 lbs (overweight, should be 180), strong-side, right around 3:00 and just high enough that I can get a full & proper grip on the gun without hitting my belt with my fingers, and with a very slight forward cant (less than the FBI cant).

For me, a high-ride IWB offers nothing but disadvantages. I find them less comfortable, not as easy to draw from, and more prone to print. High ride is good for OWB, so that you don't need a trench coat to conceal the bottom of the holster or barrel of the gun. But with IWB that is not a concern.

3. mj9mm

mj9mm
    Expand Collapse

[/ATTACH]

#3 mj9mm, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  4. rich52us

rich52us
    Expand Collapse

I carry IW, low, behind the hip (4, 4:30) slightly forward cant. I find for me, the grip fits into the hollow above my hip and the pistol disappears under a shirt.

5. CA Escapee

CA Escapee
    Expand Collapse
    Finally!

I'm 5'10 @160, too.

Some of the IWB holsters I use at 4:00 are a Galco King Tuk for my G23 or S&W roundbutt 1911 or a Galco Triton in the same spot. I like a mild forward cant.

I've adjusted the height of the King Tuks down low, but to where I can still easily get a full "combat grip" on the pistol. If they're adjusted too high the grip will gig me in the rib cage.

The Triton's aren't adjustable for height, but they seem to ride ok. I wear a Triton when I have to remove both the holster and pistol in certain situations without a lot of wiggling around, or undressing.

Bill

6. Jagged

Jagged
    Expand Collapse

I carry right around 3-4:00. Aggressive forward cant, and as low as I can get it with my MTAC. My front clip is on the 'bottom' hole, and the rear clip is on the 3rd from top hole (I trimmed off the excess from the clip after finding my comfortable setting).

I'm 6'1", 175 lbs.

7. JAS104

JAS104
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

That's good to know because I carry the Galco Kingtuk for my G19 as well.
    Which holes are your screws in? Just out of curiousity

8. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT
    Expand Collapse
    Ex-Gunslinger

6' 1" 255lbs OWB @ 3:00 w/ zero cant.

9. SFla27

SFla27
    Expand Collapse

For me, it depends on the barrel length.

I'm 5'9" 170lbs.

My G27 is normally on an AIWB using a High Noon zero-cant low ride, Raven ACR holster or on a CBST (with the cut-out option) at 3:30.

Forgetting the whole debate of +1 (I don't have an issue with it), the shorter barrel length (3.46") lends itself to easier AIWB carry. And the low ride is better for concealment with a minimal loss in deployment speed assuming you get a decent grip on the pistol with your thumb and web / palm of hand at the start. Having GAP mag floorplates also help with deployment and overall finger control during that process.

A longer G19, G23, etc.. would be better suited to the CBST 3:30 position.

I think I'm a little partial to the AIWB position. Due to the position of the pistol, it's easier to ensure concealment. Deployment is a tick faster than 3:30. Although that's just me.

In the 3:30 - 4:00 position, for me, bending down / over / tying shoes, whatever will have that pistol printing like a Xerox with only a single short-sleeve shirt down here in Florida. Even taking one knee down to do whatever you have to do close to the ground has the potential to print.

And if I'm sitting down for any length of time (for example, at a restaurant), I don't necessarily want the grip pressing into my kidney with nothing but a hard chair to lean back up against. After a while, this starts to hurt my back.

#9 SFla27, Jul 3, 2012
  10. DrewF86

DrewF86
    Expand Collapse

5'8", 165lbs. I carry a G19 at 3 o'clock in a Crossbreed Supertuck. Just a little forward cant (rear clip one hole higher) and low to the belt. The corner of the grip and the frame is more or less right at my belt.

11. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9
    Expand Collapse

5'11" 170 and carry in DeSantis at 4 oclock IWB. G26

12. robhic

robhic
    Expand Collapse
    WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member

6' 3" 180 lbs but I carry seated. I use a Remora at the 2:30 / 3:00 position with the top of the holster even with and parallel to my waistband. This picture shows the Remora w/ extra mag pouch in front. I traded that one in for the same model w/o extra mag pouch due to extra size of holster riding constantly on my thigh.

Now, it cants forward so it will not hit me in the leg :wow: and will go out back and down in case of ND (which I absolutely do not intend!). And it's not as uncomfortable as it looks....

[​IMG]

#12 robhic, Jul 3, 2012
  13. BLau

BLau
    Expand Collapse

This at 5:00 position.

[​IMG]

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

14. ThatGuyDave

ThatGuyDave
    Expand Collapse

6'2" 250lbs Crossbreed SuperTuck with Glock 23 at about 4 - 4 1/2. Extremely comfortable and easily accessable.

15. greyhoundafw

greyhoundafw
    Expand Collapse

16. CA Escapee

CA Escapee
    Expand Collapse
    Finally!

Looking at the King Tuk for my G26/19/23, the rear belt clip is in the bottom two holes and the front one is in the middle two.

Interestingly enough the King Tuk for my 1911's is adjusted the same for the front clip, but in the back clip is in the top two holes. (less cant, more vertical ride)

Bill

#16 CA Escapee, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  17. Creatism

Creatism
    Expand Collapse

I use 2 Iwb holsters, a leather one I really like but rides kinda high, then a kholster adjusted for a forward can't and just above the belt line. Most of the time I use the leather one. But for shorts and a t shirt the kholster is the better option.
    Both are at about 4 o'clock.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

18. fairtomidland

fairtomidland
    Expand Collapse

I am new to CC but This seems to be the best spot I have found for conceal and comfort.

19. fairtomidland

fairtomidland
    Expand Collapse

I customed a leather pancake, I did end up putting a second clip on the back edge to get it right where i wanted, I like yours, and you are right the wings help.

20. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

I'm 6'8" 328 pounds. I carry mine where ever I want.