close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IWB for 5" 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by flynlead, Jul 7, 2010.

1. flynlead

flynlead
    Expand Collapse

I need some advise from people who have tried both summer special style and the vm2 style IWB holsters using a full size 1911. what are the pros and cons of them? Does the vm2 move around less than the ss? or vise versa.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. drc767

drc767
    Expand Collapse
    Navy CSAR

I have tried them both and am not a fan of either. I know the VMII has a huge following, but I find it to be too thick and the muzzle end, rounded bottom of the holster just creates an terrible pressure point for me. Both the SS and VM have pretty good retention, and if you personally find them comfortable, are very good holsters for IWB carry for your 1911.

3. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

I have a VM2 on order that I should get in Sept....but I think I may get one of these for comparison to see which I like better. Been hearing a lot of good things about them.

Occidental Leather Phoenix
    [​IMG]

4. SuHu

SuHu
    Expand Collapse
    Towed Jumper

I've owned two VMII's, and I'm glad I finally tried an SSII.

I prefer the SSII because it is smaller, cheaper, and more comfortable. For me, it also conceals just as well as the VMII. I thought I'd have a problem with the SSII shifting, but so far I haven't.. even when the holster is not centered on a belt loop. Some might say the VMII pulls the grip in a little bit tighter, but all that did was jab me in the ribs while sitting. The SSII is just right.

#4 SuHu, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed
    Expand Collapse
    JAFO

I have two SS holsters and finally gave in and ordered a VM-II but it will be a couple months before I get it. For me the SS works very well and as I've said before I'm quite certain it's the most successful and copied IWB holster of all time. The bonus is Brownells keeps the SS in stock most of the time so you don't have to wait six months to get one.

Even getting an order into Milt Sparks isn't easy as they only take so many orders a month and lately if you're not on the phone the first four or five days you're done. If you check out e-bay you could pick up a VM-II for $300 or so. :upeyes:

6. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

I am a BIG fan of the SS. It simply works best for me IWB bar any other holster, and like most folks on here I have a drawer full of holster try to find the right one :)

7. JRB75

JRB75
    Expand Collapse

I personally use the Occidental Leather's Phoenix and find it to be very comfortable. Plus it usally ships the same day..

I have not tried a SS type of holster as I have always thought they just didn't distribute the weight of the pistol as well as a VM2 type of holster. But as always, what works very well for some, doesn't for others.

8. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

Can you post a pic? I hear that a common complaint of the VM2 is that they ride high. Just curious how the Phoenix rides.

9. JRB75

JRB75
    Expand Collapse

I don't have any pictures of it on but will be happy to take some to post up as soon as my camera battery charges.

10. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Tell you what, most people that have CCW'd a 5 in. STEEL 1911 and say it`s great are either sitting on their can in a car or soon switch to a LW Commander. :wavey:

11. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

I can not say I agree with you. I find there not to be a weight issue really as a full size loaded 1911 weighs in at 45-46 oz or so, a LW is 10 ozs or so less. So in effect we are talking about well less than 1lb difference between the two. I do often carry a small )4" - 4 1/4") 1911 but that is based on length not weight.

I carry 75% OWB and 25% IWB normally.

#11 Ruggles, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  12. Hokie1911

Hokie1911
    Expand Collapse
    >

So you're saying it's not the size of the barrel that counts, but how it goes BANG that really matters? That's what she said. :rofl:

#12 Hokie1911, Jul 8, 2010
  13. Rinspeed

Rinspeed
    Expand Collapse
    JAFO

Maybe it's time for you to hit the gym. :dunno: :tongueout:

14. drc767

drc767
    Expand Collapse
    Navy CSAR

Believe it or not, I find a 5" 1911 about the most comfortable IWB pistol I have ever carried. The weight does not bother me at all. I carry a 5" gun about 95% of the time.

#14 drc767, Jul 8, 2010
  15. CAcop

CAcop
    Expand Collapse

I use a DeSantis InnerPiece or Piece Keeper. I can't remember which. It works fine for me.

16. Officer's Match

Officer's Match
    Expand Collapse
    S.R.D. v

Me too. Max Con V may have something to do with that.

17. Blaster

Blaster
    Expand Collapse
    Hunc tu caveto

I recently purchased a Andrews Custom Leather MacDaniel II for a 5" 1911. I honestly believe I hit the nail on the head on the first swing. I like it much much better than the Sparks VM-IIs for my G23 or G30, of course the slimness of the 1911 comes into play.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

[​IMG]

18. flynlead

flynlead
    Expand Collapse

Does it stay in place good? It looks like it would move around with one strap on one end.

19. Blaster

Blaster
    Expand Collapse
    Hunc tu caveto

It holds its position very well. There is a steel support that runs between the strap and the holster body. The holster is also constructed "rough side" out, that along with the belt holds it securely in place.

20. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP
    Expand Collapse

I'm w/Blaster on this, too. I've used a SS2 & a VM2, but the style he mentions works best for me. I got mine from Mitch Rosen; it's the ARG holster. Even though you'll pay about the same a a Sparks, you'll have it in hand WAY sooner.