close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

I've screwed up BIG TIME... (OPSEC)

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Texanmile, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Texanmile

Texanmile

Mar 28, 2011
    So... I don't think I am the type of person to "brag" or "show off" what I've done preparedness wise or with the firearms I own.... but, I have had a rude awakening that I have definitely said too much at some point and my spouse has probably also contributed (although, I am not blaming her at all, in fact we haven't even discussed the issue yet)

My neighbor not too long ago said based on our limited conversations, "Well I know where I'm coming if we ever need to hunker down a while! Har Har Har!"

...uh oh.

I really like firearms so it's hard for me not to talk about them with someone else who knows about them, but when I asked a casual friend the other day why he didn't have any guns even though he was in the military and knew about them... and why you need them. He said, "I know if things ever get really bad, there are people like you I can get stuff from. ***smile, pat on the back***"

...uh oh again. Bascially, the only way I see out of this is to hit the "reset" button when I move next, other than that... I things are good between now and then. Or... if it comes to the "3 meals missed" scenario... I may bug out to parent's with as much as I can fit in the truck.

So, what do you think fellas... spare no criticism (I know you won't, ha)

2. jaklcrow

jaklcrow

Feb 12, 2010
    Not something I would be too worried about.

3. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    "I'll just come to your house, you'll help me out" - tell them I'm trying to help you now, if there is big trouble my house will be locked up tight.

Tell them flat out that your family comes first but there's no problem, they have plenty of time to prepare.

And of course don't tell any other neighbors who are not on the program.

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    I think you are a liberal troll, and that you are here strictly to cause trouble.

Some of the more naive members got suckered into Bloomberg's Point, Click, Fire: An Investigation of Illegal Online Gun Sales, I would dissuade others from doing so.

5. Texanmile

Texanmile

Mar 28, 2011
    I think that YOU are a troll... trying to get a rise out of me! :rofl:

Give me a break... I'm asking for advice for folks I know are on "my level". Tell me which of my posts are "trollish", none.

6. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    You play an Obommunist over in GTPI; is that just an act?

7. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    And that's just one example.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  8. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    Are you kidding me? Anybody who is on the Obama band wagon at this point in time knows that he needs to prep big time. All his liberal neighbors are going to expect something for nothing and this time it's his something!

9. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    That's racist! :rofl:

10. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

Nov 10, 2001
    South of Houston
    I had to tell my sister not to come here after a comment she made to me.

11. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Easy folks.Were here ta help each other,let's leave politics outta it.JMHO.'08.

12. Texanmile

Texanmile

Mar 28, 2011
    Guys like you keep normal folks away from these sites. Ask a question, and get an earful of ideological crap. You came in here, and found me just to talk #*%&. What am I supposed to gain from that...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  13. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    +1 leave the politics in that section of GT.

As for the OP, one the horse has left the barn, I have no idea what you can do for damage control. Sure, you can cite your position about sharing if the topic comes up again. However I doubt it will be effective. When times get desparate, folks remember things like that and whether they believe you'll share or not...you should expect a visit.

14. Raiden

Raiden C&R Fun!

You really can't un-ring the bell, but you can at least try to contain the damage by downplaying your preparations. Casual jokes about how anemic your preps are can help. Due to my public involvement, it's hard to keep secret that I have disaster preparations. But, I've socially engineered the belief that I'll be long gone, leaving a trail of spent brass, if the SHTF. Even if it comes off as a joke, folks seem to genuinely believe I'll be 300 miles west at the first sign of trouble, which is fine by me. :thumbsup:

15. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

May 19, 2005
    He asked, I answered. I don't believe his intentions here are good.

If he doesn't like the answer, then he shouldn't ask the question. YMMV

16. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

IBTL!

I also tell my friends who are assuming they can come by and get taken care of that they better bring some of their own stuff because while I am happy to provide security, I am not about to feed them too.

17. first, normal people don't come around here, if you're here you are not normal and thats good.
    second, if you are serious, that will be proven by your actions.
    third, better get to know your neighbors so you can know who to trust, or don't get to know them and keep it that way.
    good luck:embarassed:

18. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Do what I did to my brother in law ..I simply said if they think they can even come near my place during an real emergency without any real assets to offer, I will shoot down you and anybody with you. Stay the **** away from us. What ever I have is for my wife and I....every man and woman for themselves. Sharing is not an option. Be blunt and brutely honest with people who think they can freeload. This is a serious preoblem with the sheep of society. You really screwed up and now all you can do is what I have done and do it fast so if it the SHTF they are not wowed by your actions. OPSEC is so very important.

19. walt cowan

walt cowan

Feb 18, 2005
    Absurdistan
    thats why i call those folks zombies.