close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ive got some slop in my glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Chris Miller, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Chris Miller

Chris Miller

Apr 1, 2012
    So I have a lot of friends who think Glocks are too "loose" or "sloppy" for their taste. I try to explain to them that it's that looser tolerance that keeps these machines eating any ammo you throw at them.

BUT.... i just bought a new Gen 3 G29 and the play in the slide seems to be excessive. With the mag out of the gun, the slide will rock back and forth from side to side on the frame. Shaking the gun from side to side makes it sound like a pile of crud. This is my 3rd glock now and I have never run into this before.

Is there anything i can do to remove some of the play or is it a non issue? Should I send it back to glock?

2. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    I think that some play there is normal, or at least common. My 20's the same way. Unless the gun's malfunctioning, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you take that 29 and outshoot your friends, that'll shut em up about how Glocks are "too sloppy". 10mm Glocks are particularly accurate.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

3. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    My GEA prefix G23 has the old bare steel frame rails, my NRR prefix G27 has the current nickel plated frame rails. With the trigger to the rear and no magazine, the G23 has no slide-to-frame play, the G27 has a little bit of play. I also noticed that when dry-firing, the rear of the G27 slide rises a tiny amount, then when the trigger breaks the rear of the slide goes back down.

4. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

Nov 15, 2011
    I just looked at my Gen3 26 and 23 and both are tight as a drum with no side to side play at all...

I don't know how it would be considered normal if it has "slide slop", but like the above poster said, if its functioning okay i wouldn't worry about it

5. I recently saw a G30 with the same exact play in the slide tolerance.

6. AustinTx

AustinTx

Aug 16, 2006
    Tx
    It's NOT loose tolerances. It's loose clearances. And it doesn't matter, on a Glock. With the gun in battery, try to wiggle the muzzle around. It won't move. The sights are on the slide that the barrel is solidly locked into. That slight frame slop doesn't matter about anything as long is it's sufficient to keep the slide from shooting off.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  7. Good point in terminology.

8. post-apocalyptic

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    Maybe it's just the higher caliber Glocks then; 10mm and .45 models.

9. post-apocalyptic

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    Yes, good point.

10. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Jan 12, 2012
    Are you sure your not hearing the striker moving in the channel? It wouldn't be the first time someone confused that sound with a *loose* slide.

11. novasquid

novasquid

Dec 13, 2011
    i have a g29 that has the "slide slop," and it definitely isn't the striker. tilting the pistol from left to right, or the other way, causes the slide to shift. i love glocks, but things like this makes me think of glocks as "the chinese knock offs" of the real stuff.

12. vmann

vmann Controller

Jan 22, 2010
    DFW
    my newest glock a 2010 3rd gen 27 has what i would consider to be too much movement in the front end of the pistol, but it works and its a glock, so i dont really care....

in the future, i might look at this closer when i buy a new glock, as it does seem that some are tighter then others....but i seriously doubt it makes a difference to the reliablility of the pistol...

13. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

Sep 28, 2006
    Detroit
    My Gen 3 & 4 Glock 21 almost feels like you can shake the slide off the gun but they are the guns I shoot the most accurate with.

...and there is no ammo they won't digest. ;-)

14. 475-480

475-480

Apr 2, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    My new G20 SF has no slop in it.Only has about 200 rounds thru it so far.

Sean

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    My 19 has some play in the slide but it doesn't bother me.

16. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Apr 25, 2009
    SE Colorado
    It's definitely the slide-to-frame fit with my G27. Even after having the slide nickel plated it still has a little bit of slop.

It doesn't bother me. The gun works and it's more accurate than I'll ever be. With a magazine inserted it doesn't move at all because the top round is exerting pressure from the mag spring, so it doesn't move while I'm carrying it.

17. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    My 1989 G17 has NO front-end shake at all.

18. Glock+2

Glock+2

Mar 16, 2009
    dang...I just hate it when I get 'slop' in my Glock

:needspics:

19. Doug S

Doug S

Apr 1, 2000
    I have a 2003 G26 that rattles as described by the OP. I also have a 2005 G17 that rattles a little less, but still rattles a bit when I shake the gun, or turn it over from side to side (I will hear it click). In both cases the sound seems to result from a bit of play between the slide rails, and the slide, at the muzzle end of the gun. No movement in the rear. No malfunctions with either gun. This question seems to get asked a lot. There is always a split between those saying their gun is the same, and those claiming no movement.

20. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have taken over GT

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA