Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

I've fallen for a 45 Cougar

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fnfalman, Apr 2, 2011.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    All these talks about Stoeger and Beretta Cougar .45ACP got me thinking real hard. Next thing I know, my favorite shop has a Stoeger .45 brand new in box. After some hagglin', I went home with it. Tomorrow is going to be range day.

First impression was that I hated the rail, unfortunately the .45 only comes with the stupid rail so what are you gonna do? The gun has good heft to it and points very well for me. The grip is largish yet extremely comfortable for my small hands. Trigger is OK. I don't know about the Beretta Cougar but compare it to the Beretta 92FS and PX4, both the SA and DA pulls are not as clean and as light. Mags are marked "made in Italy", so they're either Mec-Gar or ACT. The Bruniton finish also doesn't seem to be as smooth as the Beretta Bruniton finish either. The gun does have the Beretta trademark of slide moving so smooth it's like on ball bearing. Recoil spring is pretty stout, probably to compensate for the short barrel & slide. Rotating barrel is always cool.

Does anybody know where I can find some wooden grips for the Cougar .45ACP? Preferrably not Hogue.

Here are some crappy pics taken as the sun was setting.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. austin_tx

Jun 28, 2010
    Agreed on both counts. But the Stoegers are still terrific deals. They're about as refined as you can get for a new semi-auto at their prices.

Congrats on the new gun!
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    The Thundercat look is rather lame. Sometimes I don't mind some garish stuff just for giggles, but that grip doesn't look too great. Not to mention I am leery about buying products from no-name outfits. I might have to break down and buy a set of Hogue wooden grips if I couldn't find a set of Beretta factory wooden grips for it.
  4. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Jan 20, 1999
    I think I saw those grips in the parts department at the Lincoln-Mercury dealer.
  5. austin_tx

Jun 28, 2010
    Yeah, I wasn't being serious. I was just surprised someone would actually produce those.
  6. pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    Congrats on the new Couger. Really nice guns, I got mine back in the 90's and never had a problem with it. Enjoy!
  7. 540mope

Feb 8, 2009
    I too like Cougars that are 45
  8. When I was 30, I too fell for a 45 year old cougar.
  9. dreis454

Jul 11, 2009
  10. I like the gun...too big (IMO) for CC but good for a range/around the house HD gun.
  11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

12. Some hottie introduce her mother to you?:rofl:

Was that pistol made in Turkey?
    That's what the left slide pic seems to say.
  13. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel Beretta 92 Nut!

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    Congrats. I just got one a couple of weeks ago. I found a set of rare NIB rubber grips in a WTB ad on the Beretta Forum. I would suggest asking there for wooden grip ideas and where to buy them.

14. It is a very nice pistol and I am with you on the rail as I never use them on my pistols, rifles, etc. Let us know how it shoots. Congrats.
  15. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I'm really liking the look of these, the .45 and compact 9mm versions in particular. Congrats on the buy, I may pick up a Cougar this summer!
  16. GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    Congrats! They're such a great deal that if you like the setup, it's hard to beat. I looked at a 9mm version about a week ago at a gunshop. It was NIB, came w/4 mags & was $375.00. They had some PX4s, too, but the Cougar just has 'something' that the PX4s didn't.
  17. Fnfalman got a cougar? Sounds like it's time for an intervention!
  18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    God, I hope not!!! My cut-off age is 25.

Yes. The Turks are making some Berettas. Stoeger is importing the Cougar line and American Tactical imports the compact 92. The prices are about $200 less than the Italian models. Mind you, I'd rather have a Beretta Cougar .45 but they're slim pickin', so this one will do just fine except for the rail which added bulk. I don't think that the Beretta .45 Cougar holster will fit it. Also, Stoeger doesn't seem to sell extra mags and the cheapest I can find are Beretta mags from Midway USA for around $37 a pop.