close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I've been prepping .308 cases for two days...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by cysoto, Apr 14, 2011.

1. cysoto

cysoto
    Expand Collapse
    Gone Shooting!

...and now that they are all reloaded, I don't want to shoot them just so I don't have to go through another two days of this!

I never thought that prepping rifle cases was so time-consuming! :faint:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. chris6424

chris6424
    Expand Collapse

Get a Giraud trimmer! It trims to length, inside chamfer and outside deburrs in the same step. 10 seconds per case, no hand exertion. I wish I had gotten one sooner, reloading rifle brass is no longer so much of a chore.

3. cysoto

cysoto
    Expand Collapse
    Gone Shooting!

I was looking at a Hornady LnL Case Prep Center. All of a sudden, $340 doesn't sound all that expensive! :supergrin:

4. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

How many did you do, do them in seasions and you wont get to tired. Trust me I have plenty experience, I shot atleast a couple hundted a week

5. shotgunred

shotgunred
    Expand Collapse
    reloading nut

What powder are you using in 223? I only have enough H335 for 250 rounds of 55 grs 223.
    I was thinking about looking for some tac.

#5 shotgunred, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  6. SilentVectorX

SilentVectorX
    Expand Collapse

Or a Dillon RT-1200. Sizes AND trims in one shot. No chamfer/deburr necessary.

I'm thinking of putting a universal decapper in my SS, then putting an RT1200 in station one of a Dillon 650. It could be sweet...

7. cysoto

cysoto
    Expand Collapse
    Gone Shooting!

I am only doing one hundred at the time. In the time it takes me to load 50 rounds of .308 I could have easily loaded 500 (or more) pistol rounds.

Don't get me wrong, reloading rifle rounds is fun and somewhat therapeutic but also time consuming.

8. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619
    Expand Collapse
    EX-Swage Monkey

Shotgun, use Tac or 748, tac is a tad cleaner..

9. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

I sized/trimmed my first 50 rounds of .223 on my RT1200 today. Took all of 8 minutes, and that was going slow to make sure it was all dialed in. I then set-up my XL650 223 toolhead and loaded the 50 with Accurate 2520 and a Horandy V-max 55g. My buddys load 25g at 2.255 OAL. It's already ready chronoed at 3100 FPS out of his DDM4, same rifle as mine. I just got back from the range.... very pleased all went bang!
    The RT1200 is awesome makes quick work of everything. I didn't have to deburr but did find I hand to chamfer sightly cause the V-max bullet is a flat base. My next order or bullets will be boattails though so that step will be abolished. I have to get my super swage mounted on a board to clamp to the wood vise on my bench, do the auto mod on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZHeSUqQbk
    then I'll rock through the 3k of brass I have collected thus far.
    [​IMG]
    BTW you can't use the RT1200 at station 1 then just continue to load. You will need to tumble to remove the lube required for sizing. I use HOS no problems. The tumbling in dry media also knocks off any small burrs and really smoothens out the cut. I used a standard dillon sizer/decapper at station 1 and the RT1200 sizer/trimmer at station 4, set both up with a Dillon 223 head space gauge to ensure they were exactly the same. It's a little loud cause you have the motor hooked up to a vacumm via a manifold to catch all the shavings, I put my ear protection on that has a MP3 player input and rocked away.

#9 Boxerglocker, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011