close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I've been assimilated into the AK collective...

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Paddy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Paddy

Paddy Glocktastic!

Oct 4, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Got my first AK recently via a trade. ITM Arms Co. MK99 receiver, and it looks to be a Romanian stamp on the barrel trunnion, it's an empty triangle. Came with Tapco furniture: Galil style front grip, SAW style pistol grip and T6 collapsible stock, as well as the G2 trigger group. I'll be taking it out on Saturday, so I'll have a range report then.

In the meantime I've been researching scope mount options. I could get the side rail mount and rivet it into the receiver, I could get a receiver cover with a picatinny rail, or I could replace the front grip with a quad rail front grip. I've heard of a scope mount that replaces the rear sight leaf, but I can't seem to find one anywhere. The side rail mount seems like the most stable option but I don't have the rivet tool or the funds to take it to a gunsmith. The receiver cover mounts don't keep their zero worth a damn since the cover moves around, and I've heard the same about the front grip mounts. What do you guys think?

2. CarlosC

CarlosC AK Fanatic

Jan 4, 2000
    DFW area, TX
    You know I have to do this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Paddy

Paddy Glocktastic!

Oct 4, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    w00t! I was hoping to get that welcome! :wavey:

4. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    Welcome to the dark side and congrats! Personally I wouldn't mess with trying to have an accessory rail riveted on the receiver and SKIP the receiver cover mount altogether. That leaves a quad rail or an UltiMak gas tube rail, personally I like the UltiMak. Quad rails are kind of pricey and add alot more rail than is necessary IMO, there's a new quad rail out by Midwest ind. but I don't like being the test guinea pig myself so I'd wait a bit on them until the reviews come out. I've got the UltiMak on one of my Arsenals and I can attest that is a solid piece of gear and wll worth the $.

5. 1 old 0311

1 old 0311

Jan 2, 2006
    Planet Earth
    Why do you want a scope? ALL AK's will shoot man size targets 150-200 with open sites and with a scope it ain't going to get much better.

I have owned 8-10 in the past and EVERY ONE has been flawlessly reliable with the exception of a $1000 Arsenal. Go figure. I have a WASR now and while it is ugly as hell in 2000+ rounds it has been perfect!

6. Paddy

Paddy Glocktastic!

Oct 4, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    I don't want a high end scope or anything, maybe a red dot sight or a 2x magnification so I can actually see the dot in the middle of the target at 200 yards.

7. my762buzz

my762buzz

Mar 21, 2007
    Sorry, thats simply not true of all varients. Not all of them were built with heavily worn barrels and loose parts. Ammo quality makes a huge difference. Using better sites and/or a scope can make a big difference also.
    It also helps to have a front post sight that doesn't cover most of a 12x12
    target sheet.

8. Paddy

Paddy Glocktastic!

Oct 4, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Any input on the rear sight leaf replacement I've heard so little about?

9. sputnik767

sputnik767

Nov 1, 2007
    Chicago
    That's true. With proper ammo and maybe better sights, I don't think it would be that far off from an AR. But people shoot Wolf out of their worn out WASRs, get 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards, and then carp about how inaccurate the platform is. My Yugo, with it's brand new, US-made barrel will get 0.25-0.5 inch grouping at 25 yards with Wolf ammo. And I am not an expert marksman by far, so I'm pretty sure it can do better.

10. batoncolle

batoncolle

Apr 4, 2006
    Atlanta
    There are several that replace the rear sight leaf.

1. Larue has a FF or Docter/mount combo that is currently being retooled. It's a good lightweight combo.

Then there are several Beryl style mounts.

2. The Krebs is top of the line, but it's not cheap. http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml#REARRAIL I have one on my Krebs KTR-08, and it's rock solid. I highly recommend it, and I think it's the best out there right now.
    3. TWS Dogleg rail - I have one of the original beta rails, and it's a very good and cheaper alternative to the Krebs. http://texasweaponsystems.com/ He's also making a 2nd generation that looks very interesting, and you can see it in this thread on ARFcom: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=56&t=111659&page=26 (scroll down towards the bottom on this page)
    4. I have also heard good things about DPH Arms, but I have never tried it. Note: this one does not require removal of the rear sight leaf. http://dpharms.com/akberylstylescoperailwquickdetach-p-1000.html

And there are also several others out there, but I can't recall them offhand...maybe Midwest Industries. Do a search on beryl style mounts, and you should find them. I'm thinking the others are cheaper alternatives. I did buy a cheaper polymer beryl style rail just to see if I would like the setup so I know they are out there.

I would also recommend that you look into the Ultimak/Aimpoint H1/T1 combo. I have that setup on one of my AKs, and it is really nice.

11. Paddy

Paddy Glocktastic!

Oct 4, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    Thank you VERY much for the input! I might get one of those.

Took the AK out and I LOVE IT! I've also discovered the joys of bump firing :whistling:

All in all, considering I only put 400 into the gun I traded for this thing, it's a pretty sweet find! Didn't jam at all, and I was using cheap dirty Wolf ammo.