close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I've become quite impressed with HST

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by ABNAK, Aug 8, 2010.

1. ABNAK

ABNAK
    Expand Collapse

Especially the heavy-for-caliber loads. I've never been a fan of the heavier rounds, instead preferring a little speed; not quite a "speed freak" (like 135gr .40 loads, or 115gr 9mm) but some juice nonetheless---155gr .40's, 124gr +P 9mm's, 185gr +P .45's.

Over the years I have tested many different bullets, all with the same protocol I've mentioned here before: through 4 layers of a towel and into my swimming pool. Now I know water enhances expansion, but IIRC it is closer to gelatin results in that category than penetration measurements. They all rest on the bottom of the pool afterwards so it's impossible to tell when they came to a stop and gravity took over. With expansion being *similar* to gelatin I tend to look at how a bullet acts once penetrating the "clothing". Especially with the JHP's of years past, clothing would trip them up significantly and hinder expansion. This was exagerrated in heavy loads for caliber, and led to my "need for speed". Maybe someday I'll buy a side of beef and let 'er rip!

Enter the modern era of handgun bullet design. Federal HST has really impressed me. While the "lighter" loads open up fine, the heavier ones in each caliber really shine, and this from relatively short barrels no less (Glock 36, Kahr CW9). I notice the skives cut into the jacket are longer on the heavier loads, no doubt aiding expansion at the lower velocities that heavier loads produce.

For the first time I will load 147gr rounds in my Glock 19 and 230gr +P rounds in my Glock 36. Just gotta find some 180gr HST's out there somewhere for my new Sig P250 (if the other calibers are any example the .40 cal 180gr'ers should exceed the lighter .40 HST's in expansion).

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. DRT

DRT
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the party, Pal.

3. JBP55

JBP55
    Expand Collapse

HST is good to go.

4. wruckis

wruckis
    Expand Collapse

Yep, love HST also. If you are looking for some 180gr, look at sgammo.com or palmettostatearmory.com.

5. granitemonkey

granitemonkey
    Expand Collapse

Ill take the HST's anyway I can get them Heavy and Slow or Light and Fast:supergrin:

6. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Post some REAL World results with HST and I`ll listen. Until then I carry Fed. BPLE.

7. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    Texas Redneck

I definately have to agree with you ABNAK. The heavy for caliber HSTs definately open up quite nicely. I tried some 165 and 135 grain HSTs in .40 cal, and they just didnt expand as much as the 180's did. I still have some of each, but the 180's are still my favorite load in my G22...

Burk

8. ABNAK

ABNAK
    Expand Collapse

9BPLE is no doubt an excellent round with an equally outstanding record over many years. The HST phenomena is *relatively* new compared to the BPLE. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I would assume there aren't an awful lot of agencies using it, right? Anyone know of any off hand?

My point was that for the first time I can count myself among the "slow and heavy" crowd, albeit in a very specific ammo category.

9. Ak.Hiker

Ak.Hiker
    Expand Collapse

I have run the 230 HST +P in my Glock 36. They are a hot load that is for sure.

10. Drew78

Drew78
    Expand Collapse

I did some research on OIS with the 147 gr HST a while ago... I have not seen physical documentation on it, but have heard on several different boards that the 147 HST is issued to a number of depts and that they have had VERY good results with the load to date...

-Drew

btw....that is my carry load too...

11. DRT

DRT
    Expand Collapse

Per DocGKR at m4carbine.net

"FWIW, the HST is currently being used here--it is performing as well or perhaps slightly better in OIS incidents than the Ranger-T that was issued for the previous decade... "

This is a pretty good endorsement from one of the most knowledgeable professionals in the business. Load up with heavy-for-the-caliber HSTs (or Ranger Tseries) and you are good-to-go.

12. DRT

DRT
    Expand Collapse

This is my experience also......that's a 180gr .40 HST on top of a quarter in my avatar. It also penetrated sheet steel and solid wood as well as a bonded gold dot in my informal testing. All HSTs stayed together and maintained bullet integrity.

Not only do the heavy versions of HST open larger and more robustly, they also do better than their lighter counterparts through glass and most other barriers.

#12 DRT, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  13. SDGlock23

SDGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Glockoholic

It doesn't get much better than 180gr HST in a .40. I love it in the .45 and 9mm too!

14. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla
    Expand Collapse

Mine, too. I need to get more, though. :upeyes:

15. striker6126

striker6126
    Expand Collapse

While I can not produce documentation , I know of 1 OIS using 165gr hst and it produced a 1 shot stop. The officer fired 3 rounds but only got 1 hit. The suspect expired before the ambulance arrived less than 3 mins later.

16. dreis454

dreis454
    Expand Collapse

I can't find any of this HST anywhere. I'd like to try some in my .45s but haven't seen a box for sale yet,either local or on the net.

17. kymarkh

kymarkh
    Expand Collapse

I've put 150 147 grain HST's thru my G26 and they are just as accurate and controllable as my standard carry load of 124 grain Gold Dots. I carry either of these loads based on availablility and feel well armed with either.

18. cadillacguns

cadillacguns
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I was visiting Ft. Knox KY over the weekend and found Federal 180 gr HST in a white box, 50 rds for about $25, only difference from other boxes of HST I have is the brass casing instead of the nickle casings of other earlier boxes I have. Did they change the case metal? Or is this LEO over run contract ammo sold at Federal Military bases? They (PX) had cases of it.

19. JBP55

JBP55
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like #2.

20. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker
    Expand Collapse
    Texas Redneck

I bought some of these when I was at Cabelas in Ft. Worth at $22 a box. I noticed that the skives on the side of the bullet were longer and that the hollow point was only slightly deeper. When I fired them into gelatin, I had more than half of them shed one petal, but the overall expansion diameter was larger than the nickel plated premium packaged stuff.

Here are some expanded 180 grain HST from the premium packaging:
    [​IMG]

Here are some HSTs fom the 'white box' packaging:
    [​IMG]

It seemed there was some quality issues with the white box stuff, but honestly, I wouldnt mind finding some more of it. Cheap, only lost one petal, and still penetrated straight... heck yeah I'd use it...

Burk