close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's Kind of a Funny Story...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JBarbaresi, Feb 2, 2012.

1. So I've been shooting and carrying Glocks as a primary handgun for about 10 years now. I've always favored the compact frames and have bounced around from G19s to G23s to G32s and back to G19s again. I never understood why everyone was always complaining about "Glock knuckle", frankly because I've never had an issue with it in the slightest and always thought it was just people with overly sensitive hands or something.

After playing around with one of my buddies M&P9 FS over the last several months, I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one at the end of December because, like most, I thought it felt ergonomically superior to Glocks. For a few weeks my Glocks spent their days and nights in the safe, abandoned and abused, neglected, and sad. I just didn't have enough time to spread between them all, and needed to get aquainted with my new toy. At nights I always spend a lot of time dry firing and fondling whatever gun I happen to have with me at the time, it just so happened to be the new M&P every night for quite a while.

A few weeks into this routine, I started to notice the inside of my middle finger knuckle was developing a fairly painful callus. The more I fondled the M&P, the more it would hurt and swell. I decided to grab one of my Glocks to see what was going on, and lo and behold now my knuckle hurt when gripping my Glocks too! This was obviously no good, and at first I couldn't believe the ever-so-comfortable M&P was guilty. I was in denial, and continued in my ways, only to make matters worse.

I eventually realized this was not working out and had to make the decision that for whatever reason the M&P was just not a great fit for my hands. Maybe I'm weird, maybe it was the Glock Gods punishing me for my sins. Either way, the M&P had to go, and after only a few hundred rounds through it I made the decision to end our relationship and sell. For the past week I have been in recovery, using a file several times a day to try and remove this darn callus that has been bothering me. It's almost gone at this point and I am back to the comfort of my quite "uncomfortable" G19 compact frame.

It's kind of ironic that I finally figured out what "Glock knuckle" feels like, although from this day forward it shall forever be referred to as "M&P knuckle". Bet you won't hear anyone else with this crazy story... but you gotta admit it's still kind of funny.

2. kj4963

kj4963

Oct 29, 2011
    Thornton, Colorado
    The Glock Gods may forgive you, but they are upset:crying:

3. moishlashen

moishlashen Senile Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Midwest, USA
  4. on the plus side, the whole exprerience really reaffirmed how much i love my G19's. they might be ugly and feel like a brick in your hand, but i still shoot them better than any other handgun i own or have owned. the size/capacity/shootability balance is unmatched by anything else on the market IMO.

there were some other reasons i decided to sell the M&P as well, of which i won't get into too much detail because it's probably all been said before. through this whole ordeal i also actually realized i shoot the gen3's and gen4's with medium backstrap better than without the backstrap, even though the gen4 with no backstrap feels better in my hands.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  5. 640400

Mar 30, 2009
    I tried to "love" a couple M&P's. Just couldn't do it so I sent them packing.
    Picked up a Glock 30 and I have to say.................................................
    OH MY GAWD!! That is the sweetest shooting Glock of the 4 I own.
    Drinking the koolaid.

6. Rustin

Rustin

Oct 12, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I've been thinking alot about switching over to the M&P series after seeing the Magpul guys always running them but I'll have to shoot it a bunch to make my decicsion. Yes the Glock can feel a little wierd in the hand but when it's time to get down to business you don't think about that stuff. Point and shoot. Practice makes perfection.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    If a sore finger was the only problem you encountered, you were fortunate.

8. Gunshine

Gunshine

Jan 3, 2011
    Florida
    If it works, don't fix it.

9. i had a recent production gun so it had the upgraded sear block and spring. i installed a DCAEK and RAM the night i brought it home. i never had any issues with the gun and I think they have a lot of potential with the aftermarket trigger components.

however, i couldn't shoot it as well as my Glocks, it was bigger to carry than my G19s, and a lot harder to do work on. The magazines are not as cheap or well made and don't have any ridiculous 33 round capacity mags offered. i tried my best and gave it a fair shot, but i just couldn't find anything that the M&P does better than a glock other than look prettier. if the G19 didn't exist, the M&P FS might be my second choice, but i don't need both.

10. gsmullins

gsmullins

Nov 17, 2003
    Northern NV
    The M&P 9 in my safe will be the first pistol for which I'd reach under stress. It resides next to the G17 Gen 4. This is called "Personal Preference," but if it was dark and my hand found the G17 first, that'd not be a problem....

mully