Glock Talk banner

It's BIG GAME TIME!

834 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Pepiot 
#1 ·
I just booked an Elk trip to Colorado!! There are 7 of us going out there the first week of Nov.!
I have never gone on a trip like this before. Any advise as to the "Do's & Dont's". We will be hunting on a 10,000 acre private ranch. The Elk are free to roam around. This is NOT a fenced in place where you ride out in a golf cart and pick one out and shoot it. We will be on the move for them. I'm also going to be on the lookout for a good set of binoculars. I'm looking for something that's not going to break the bank but work well and not feel like a ton of bricks around the neck. Any help would be great. The wife bought me a new Remington 30-06 for Easter! I'm guessing this should be a quality round. I know it's not going to reach out like a 7 mag but I feel I should still be OK for out to 300 yards. Any thoughts on that are fine as well.

Thanks!!

Kodiak:banana:

#2 ·
CONGRATS ON THE HUNT. I WOULD TRY LEUPOLD FOR THE BINOCULARS. THEIR COMPACTS ARE VERY CLEAR AND NOT TO WEIGHTY.

DO NOT OVERPACK IS MY FIRST ADVICE. SECOND IS A REALLY GOOD PAIR OF BOOTS WITH INSULATION. MINE ARE 600 GRAM THINSULATE. 3RD IS TO GET REALLY COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR RIFLE BEFORE THE HUNT.

THE 30-06 IS A GREAT ELK ROUND WITH A GOOD 180 GRAIN BULLET. I USE NOSLER PARTITIONS IN ALL OF MY 30 CAL RIFLES. THE TRAJECTORY OF THE 06 AND THE 7 MAG ARE VERY CLOSE AND BOTH ARE GOOD ROUNDS FOR ELK. I HAVE TAKEN ELK WITH A 270 WIN, 7 MAG, 338 MAG, 300 MAG, AND 280 REMINGTON. ALL OF THEM WENT INTO THE FREEZER SO I DONT THINK IT MATTERS.

SO DOES THIS HUNT REQIRE A LICENSE FROM DIVISION OF WILDLIFE OR ARE THESE RANCHED ELK? I ONLY ASK BECAUSE THERE ARE PLENTY OF WILD ELK IN COLORADO. I CAN'T SEE PAYING TO HUNT A RANCHED ONE. ALSO ELK ARE CAN COVER A GREAT DISTANCE. 10,000 ACRES IS NOTHING TO THEM SO HAVE A BACK UP PLAN ON WHERE TO HUNT.

TO PUT IT INTO PERSPECTIVE THE RANCH I HUNTED THIS YEAR WAS OVER 70,000 ACRES. AFTER I HUNTED WITH NO SUCCESS I ENDED UP TAGGING OUT ON NATIONAL FOREST.

#3 ·
Plan on shooting more than once. Don't admire your first shot, hit him again. If it's still on its feet, keep shooting. Elk aren't effected by shock like smaller high-strung animals. Put the first shot in the heart (if you hit high, you'll get the lungs) and the second in the shoulder. Use heavy bullets, 180gr is good but 220gr is better and will still be flat enough to get to 300y.

#4 ·
Good information and to add;

You don't need a 7mm-mag or 30-06 as far as that goes. I would take a rifle that you have experience with and knows what it can do and where it hits at XXX yards.

fwiw: my last job CFO hunted elk and even moose as far as thats goes with nothing but 260rem, 6.5swede and 280remington. Like shooter454 stated all went it the freezer. The bullets enter where he aimed at and only on the moose, did he need 2 more shots to nail it down.

If you bag an elk, pls show us some pictures and tell us the final outcome. I wanting todo a CO elk hunt also and this might be the catalyst that get's me off my lazy ass and just fly on out and git'er done ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.