close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ISP G22 problems?

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by cl147, Feb 27, 2006.

1. cl147

cl147
    Expand Collapse
    I dig SIG

I was hoping you guys could shed a little light on a rumor I'd heard recently about ISP's Troopers having problems with their Glock 22's.

The types of problems were not specified, but it was mentioned that the guys were not happy with the transition and actually wanted their Beretta 96's back.

Any information is greatly appreciated. :)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. TLHelmer

TLHelmer
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

It is true some of us are having problems with the new G-22's. I have had about six FTF's in 900 rounds. Others cannot get through a mag without a several FTF's in each mag.

Glock is acting like they are working on the problem, but if they are they are not doing it quickly. They also made a mistake in handling at first when they said it was a limp wristing problem. They stuck to that until some of our best shooters Instructors, Emergency Response Team continuued to have the FTF in large numbers.

I am carrying my G-22, but would feel better if they would figure out the problem. I felt fine with it when I finished transition. But, I found out from one of our instructors that some Troops that didn't have problems during transition were starting to have problems later. Two Troopers at my district are refusing to carry the Glock because of the malfuntions and kept their Beretta's.

I read an article in Guns and Ammo that the LAPD sent their Glocks back for a different type of problem.

3. Snowman92D

Snowman92D
    Expand Collapse

Glock Perfection....what can you say? ^b

4. cl147

cl147
    Expand Collapse
    I dig SIG

TLHelmer,
    Thank you for your response. I'm sure this is a big let-down for you guys. The two troopers I'd talked to last year were excited about the change.

FTF's...Could it be a possible magazine or locking problem?

Snowman, thank you for your informative contribution to this thread. ;)

5. rhino465

rhino465
    Expand Collapse

It's unfortunate they didn't issue G17s instead. Easier to shoot, cheaper to feed, the most reliable of the Glock breed and least likely to KABOOM. Too bad the LEO world is infatuated with the .40S&W!

6. DCSO0322

DCSO0322
    Expand Collapse
    GIGGITY

I don't know about newer Glocks but my father has carried a G22 since 1998, and I have Carried a G35 since 1999 and neither of us have had a single malfunction with either weapon through thousands of rounds.

7. TLHelmer

TLHelmer
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

The latest news is that it may be a locking block issue. The dept. sent the guns that had the most problems back to Glock and they said the locking block was on the extreme end of the specs.

A lot of us were excited about the change. I have been a Glock fan for years. On a side note, at my district the overall shooting scores went up.

8. Snowman92D

Snowman92D
    Expand Collapse

Did they get you guys the factory 5.5 trigger, or a New York variant...?

9. mpholic

mpholic
    Expand Collapse

That statement in general could be applied to any manufactueres 9mm models compared to their .40S&W models

As others have said I have been shooting Glock .40S&W models for may years and have never had a problem with functioning or a KB. This includes a wide range of different ammo ranging form very expensive SD ammo to my own reloads and everything in between.

The ISP experience with their Glock 22s is unfortunate. I would have hoped that any wepons Glock sent to a military unit or LE unit would be double QC checked. Apparently that is not the case. I hope Glock wakes and smells the coffee on this one.

10. cl147

cl147
    Expand Collapse
    I dig SIG

I agree with this statement.

11. TLHelmer

TLHelmer
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

We have the standard 5.5 lb trigger.

I will be completely secure once they have determined what the problem is and fix it.

12. sjstill

sjstill
    Expand Collapse

Even though it could be considered a bad pun, I think the Glock 40 S&W kB's are way overblown. This is coming from someone who HAS kB'd a G22.

I like and respect Rhino, but if Glocks kB'd the way he is intimating, NO LE would be using them.

When will this horse die??

TL, I hope the problem gets resolved in a timely manner. Keep us informed, please.

13. rhino465

rhino465
    Expand Collapse

Dude, I wasn't implying a .40 glock is a time bomb in your holster waiting to go off.

I was, instead, praising the Glock 17. It's a better gun in what I believe to be a more sensible caliber for almost all useful purposes beyond gun games.

I also wasn't implying that Glock .40s are the only guns with potential kaboom problems, but exactly what I said: the G17 is the least likely Glock to have such problems compared to other Glocks. It may not happen often, but it has and will in the future, and it will almost assuredly be with .40s and .45s, not the 9mms.

My primary criticism is that of the wholesale migration from 9mm to .40. The real differences in terminal ballistics between modern 9mm JHP ammunition and the .40 is minimal at best. For almost everyone, the 9mm is easier to shoot quickly with acceptable accuracy, especially in a light weight gun like a Glock. Ammunition is a lot cheaper, especially ball ammo practice in 9mm.

The adoption of the .40 by most police departments across the country was like dominoes falling or Lemmings jumping off cliffs. It wouldn't be such a big deal if the average cop was a better shooter, but they aren't. Giving them a .40 when their skills are marginal (at best) with a 9mm is not a great idea in my opinion.

I don't doubt that qualification scores went up when the switch from Berettas to Glocks happened, but that's more of a function of the platform than the round. A .40 Glock is easier to shoot than a .40 or 9mm Beretta for most people, but a 9mm Glock is better still.

So don't get all excited because I'm bashing .40 Glocks, because I'm not. I just think the 9mm Glocks are a better choice, especially for big police departments.

But what do I know?

14. Snowman92D

Snowman92D
    Expand Collapse

Don't disagree with you in the main, Rhino. But I do take exception to the "minimal" differences between the two calibers. I've attended LE-related autopsies with great regularity for the past 25 years. When you're talking premium jhp ammo in both calibers, the woundtracks in a torso from a .40 S&W jhp are usually larger and much easier to follow than those from a 9mm. .40's usually leave a bloodshot trail that you can track, and the 9mm's don't often do that.

Not to say that a quality 9mm jhp is any sort of a slouch, mind you, but a .40 S&W wound is certainly more destructive. The difference between a .40 S&W and a .45 ACP often is hard to see (at least for me), but there's a noticeable difference between a 9mm and a .40, and I'd personally never describe it as "minimal". It's just an observation, though, since neither are as destructive as .44 magnums and a lot of the .357 magnum loads. Those things really trash tissue.

This still doesn't mitigate the need to hit well during a gunfight, as you've noted. I often think that the bulk of the people we're getting in LE work these days would be better off armed with a 9mm and some good quality ammo.

15. rhino465

rhino465
    Expand Collapse

All handgun calibers (that are practical for personal defense use) are wimpy. That's what I meant by minimal difference. I don't see a big difference between 9mm and .45ACP either. They're both anemic compared to a rifle or shotgun.

16. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier
    Expand Collapse
    FAHRENHEIT

Huh. This is the first I have heard of this.

Very interesting and a bit surprising, and I hope the problem gets rectified soon.

On a side note; I just want to point out how it is possible to discuss firearms on this board from different points of view and not have it turn into a flame-fest.....

rhino465, Snowman92D, sjstill, cl147, and all the rest of you,; this thread is a class act. ;c

17. rhino465

rhino465
    Expand Collapse

Ordinarily I'd be significantly more disrespectful and rude, but I know sjstill will kick my a**! ;f

18. sjstill

sjstill
    Expand Collapse

;z ;z ;z

I was going to post something like "Your maternal parental unit wears footgear that would be best suited to MOUT or other similar endeavors", but it took too much thought and made my brain hurt. ;e

Yeah, this did have the potential to go south. Glad it didn't.

19. KSFreeman

KSFreeman
    Expand Collapse
    Broken Member

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earf and a younger KSFreeman was selling guns at Galyan's when the G22 and 23 came out, we had the exact same problem with Glock 40s (or is it for-dees?).

One would expect Glock to solve this problem is the last 15 years!;P

20. rhino465

rhino465
    Expand Collapse

You can't improve on perfection!

;f