Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Is Your DOG a Weapon?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by parados, Aug 16, 2012.

1. parados

Nov 3, 2001
    I was thinking about this as I walked my dog and left my carry gun at home. He is a medium sized German Shepherd/Siberian Husky (about 70lbs) and is generally very mellow. He is more of a threat to squirrels and cats I suppose. But I wondered what he would do if I were confronted by one or more bad-guys on our walk. He does look pretty "wolf-like" but is not as big. Would the assailants be discouraged by the sight of him?

Would you trust your dog to defend you from a threat (or at least buy you some time to run away)? Assume you are outside in the world and not at home where a dog is more likely to stand his ground.

Personally, I don't know what my dog would do yet, so I'd probably better remember my gun next time. At least he is better then our other dog: the aging 10 lb Chihuahua with no teeth! :shocked:
  2. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    If you don't already know what he might do, then you haven't trained him to behave aggressively on command.

I don't think anyone can answer that. Some bad guys might be scared of a Chihuahua while others not the least bit afraid of a Pit Bull.

Not a dog owner, but no, I would not, simply because my personal safety is foremost my responsibility and not that of my family, the police, my dog or for that matter any other living thing.

Sounds like a good plan. :)

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    The only way my Golden would bite someone is if you pried her jaws apart, put your arm in and stepped on her nose.

That would be no, she wasn't a weapon. Big, low bark, yes but not a weapon.
  4. Sharkey

Nov 21, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Hell my pit mix expects me to protect her.
  5. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Apr 25, 2012
    My dog, a weapon?

6. TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    All I can say is use your gun and not your dog. Many insurance companies now will drop you unless you get rid of it after an attack, justified or not. Once you're dropped, good luck finding insurance again since your dog is considered a liability. It has gotten much more stringent with insurance companies over years, beyond the certain breed ban even.
  7. milje

Jun 5, 2011
    U.P. of Michigan
    He might knock them over if they're not expecting to get jumped on, but then he'd just lick their face.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  8. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    She may not be big in size but nobody sneaks up on her,I mean Nobody ! SJ 40
  9. rednoved

rednoved NRA Member

Jul 8, 2012
    My dogs aren't weapons, but they make pretty good alarms. They normally bark if someone is too close to the property or get near my vehicles. They even recognize the neighbors and seem to notice when someone doesn't belong.
  10. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011

This right here.

I wouldn't expect my dog/puppy to protect me. Even if he is an 85 lbs rottweiler puppy.
  11. Deye76

Feb 25, 2011
    Yea my dog is weapon, he'll lick you to death. When my house got broken into, he held the flashlight for the burglar. :crying:
  12. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

Jul 20, 2007
    0 .· ` ' / ·. 200
    My dog will protect me against someone acting aggressively, especially in my our his home. I've seen him do it.

The problem is, he weighs ten pounds. I guess he's more of a .22LR kind of weapon. :dunno:
  13. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

May 21, 2011
    North-Central Florida
    An A/C repair guy let himself in through the garage and 2 of my dogs cornered him and were acting aggressively. I didn't know they had that in them.

Fortunately, the guy kept his head and just stood there calmly. One of the dogs backed down when I told them he was okay. The other one I had to grab by the collar and drag outside. There was no harm done.

They'd seen this guy twice before on other days when I let him in the front door to check the A/C. The day he was replacing it, he let himself in through a different door. The dogs didn't like it.
  14. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Here is my ferocious weapon:

15. DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Yep. My boxer made a guy pee himself as he came towards my wife one day. 45lbs but enough to buy some time.
  16. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    My dog is the family pet.. I am the one with the greatest responsibility to defend myself and do not rely on others or my dog to fill that roll. My dog can and may defend me but thats totally up to him.
  17. wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    <<<< 9 lbs of lethal weapon
    If you're a frog or a grasshopper!
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  18. SgtScott31

Jan 17, 2011
    In most states the leash laws are strict liability laws. Meaning that if your dog is running at large and injures someone (or another animal), you are automatically held liable in civil court aside from any criminal charges that may be applicable. With that said, if they tear someone up in your own yard who's trespassing give him/her a good belly
  19. parados

Nov 3, 2001

I know all about 10 lb dogs. She's the meanest one too.
  20. Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    My girl is a 75lb boxer pup, and she's still growing. It seems whenever my girlfriend has a member of her family over, they insist on bringing a dog.

My dog doesn't appreciate this, and has made enough of an impression that none of her folks have brought dogs back on subsequent visits. (hey, i warned them in advance, what can you do).

She growls and barks at people who drive past, or pull up to the house, but If I give her a harsh look she crumbles (especially if she's been caught misbehaving)

I love her to death, and would never want her to have to protect me, she's part of my family, I want to protect her.

That being said, she's loyal, and based on her reactions to strangers I'm pretty sure she'd put up a fight. It seems like,in my experience, female dogs are a lot more protecive of their families. I wouldn't want to be on the dangerous end of her.

Here's apic of her
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012