close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is your department a weapons hog?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by JuneyBooney, Dec 21, 2011.

1. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...omeland-security-funded-military-weapons.html

I was curious if your department is a "weapons hog" since 9-11?:cool: Interesting article about even small departments having rather cool weapons with no crime.

Back in the late 80's cops had normal hair and even in the academy the hair was normal bank type style with a mustache allowed and goatee for undercover and long hair. After 9-11 short military hair seems normal for most non undercover work. Semi militarization also seems to have taken place over these years too. I don't know if it is good or not but it has happened. Some of the older officers I know still have normal haircuts. Do you guys think it is the money that changed things or the war on terror etc?

K-9 Unit

The Fargo Police Department has three dogs assigned to its K-9 unit.
    The use of police canines helps keep officers out of danger and can even reduce the chance of serious injury to suspects in certain situations. Sometimes offenders try to hide from officers in places where a dog is much more efficient in finding them. Some of these offenders are very dangerous and may be armed. The use of the dogs helps reduce the danger for officers during apprehension efforts. The dogs may also allow officers to avoid using higher levels of force, including deadly force, to take offenders into custody.
    [​IMG]

Now that would be cool..a fighter plane and a k9 unit.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  2. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.

3. vanilla_gorilla

vanilla_gorilla

May 31, 2005
    Florida
    I only get to use the weapons I supply, and I have shaved my head for nearly ten years, though I completed the academy two years ago. [shrug]

Of course it's all that money that's behind it. That is why Fargo's K9 unit pictured is a truck that's about 10 years old, and probably near falling apart. :upeyes:

4. Nooooooooooooo, not at all.

The comments were humorous to read though. Alex Jones has some serious fans/tin foil investors.

5. You are probably right about the truck. I see that in a number of cities. You see that in businesses too since the recession. I don't think the article really grasps the entire economic picture.

6. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
  7. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Jun 30, 2004
    Unmarked Rustbox
    Since that seems to be what everyone I arrest for drugs/DUI/ dating DV, etc all have.

:upeyes:

8. That is how cops used to look..but their hair was combed. :cool:

9. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Oct 20, 2002
    Mm..looks like heaven
    Why don't we ask some old timers? SAR, ateamer, Dragoon, Trigger finger, et al

They actually did the job, instead of reading about it on a real life version of The X-Files "Lone Gunman" website.

10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Our hair standards were almost exactly the same as the military; could not fall over the ears, lay across the collar or extend below the eyebrows.

Abiding by the regulations but yet fitting in with the social norm of the non-military look was a rather simple matter.

You let your hair grow out until you had tested the seriousness of verbal warnings from your Sgt., LT and possibly even your station commander then just before you were written up you made an appointment to have your hair permed.

Rather than walking around 'high and tight' the perm allowed for a thick, long looking haircut but yet did not violate the ear, collar or eyebrow guidelines.

Getting a perm was a bit uncomfortable since this was a time of either women's beauty salons or men's barber shops and one did not usually defile another's domain. It seems a bit incongruent to wear a 1911 in a shoulder holster under a lavender smock whilst sitting under a hot air dryer with pink curlers in your hair but it was worth the embarrassment since the ladies seemed to appreciate the end result.

Mustaches were also governed by military standards but were not enforced as diligently and unless you tried to get away with a full blown Fu Manchu you were pretty much good to go.

Jack

11. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    Hair styles have adjusted with the times. Mustaches are out, because they are no longer in style. Only those living in a "TJ Hooker" time warp still have them.

12. longhaulcop

longhaulcop

Oct 31, 2003
    Iowa
    Ours are pretty close to Military style could not fall over the ears, lay across the collar or extend below the eyebrows. Our policy manual even has pictures. Most of the new officers now seem to like the bald head look, while I'm still sporting a crew cut.

13. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Um, who wears a mustache anymore? And departments are too military in structure? Really? So you're saying that calling sergeants by first name, not having formal standing-in-formation roll call every day and not wearing hats except for ball caps and beanies is "becoming more military-like"? Being asked for your side of the story instead of automatically being disciplined and getting to choose your shift and days off is too much like the military? Wearing easy-care hairstyles that also happen to be extremely popular among the general population means that we are militarized? Newsflash, pal, short hair parted to one side with short sideburns has been out of date for 20 years. No one combs their hair like an insurance salesman from 1961 anymore.

14. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Oh, and those Class A uniforms that people like the OP like so much? They're based on military dress uniforms. Cargo pants and sewn-on cloth badges are actually practical and far more useful than tailored wool and hats that are more properly suited for drill instructor.

15. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    Heh. I support the militarization of The Police.

16. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    HEY! At least I still have hair to part! And you should consider getting more life insurance. It's not just for piece of mind, it's an investment.

In all seriousness, I think that male pattern baldness dictates police hairstyles more than the regs do, at least at my agency. The guys with thinning hair lean into it nowadays and go for the full cueball instead of toupees and combovers. Guys who are blessed with luxuriant flowing locks like me have haircuts like... extras on "Mad Men" according to some people.

That, and everybody wants to emulate Vic Mackey from "The Shield," a character who was 180 degrees from the paramilitary discipline model that's freaking the civil libertardians like Alex Jones out.

17. SAR

SAR CLM

Apr 17, 2004
    LA LA Land
    Actually, through the 70's a lot of guys had bushy mustaches and sideburns like Vic Morrow in "Police Story." Even though times were strict and many guys were just coming back from Vietnam, hair was just longer. Somewhere I have pictures. This all changed in the 80's when Miami Vice came along. Then we went through a decade of shoulder holsters and Panama Jackets. Honestly, even back then, guys were slaves to fashion... :rofl:

18. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

We had always looked like hoodlums in my last agency. My wife laughs now at some of my old pictures with long hair (and I do mean long) and sometimes a beard. I am amazed we didn't get shot more often in cases of mistaken identity back then, (mistaken for pirates). :supergrin:

Now, the younger guys look like you could put them in uniform, and not even have to send them to the barber. Just not the same. :crying: