close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is WinME a POS, or am doing something wrong...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aspartz, Aug 13, 2004.

1. aspartz

aspartz

Oct 19, 2000
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    Being the local computer geek, I have the honor of helping my friends when their computers are cranky.

This week I have had two computers, both Gateways, presented to me. Both had winME install. Both have had major problems. Both refuse to easily reinstall. To test the first, I tried to install win@k to eliminate RAM issues. This ran fine. Prognosis -- buy a newer OS.

The second one is the PITA. The owner REALLY wants to keep me. I have now had to reinstall it 2x. I was almost done last time, when out of the blue, the registry was corrupted and now I get to start over yet again!!

I never had this level of trouble with win98, 98SE or anything based on NT. Did M$ just release a complete POS that was a step backwards from 98, or is this more likely a Gateway thing?

ARS

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    please don't insult the P'sOS by calling WinME a POS. it is much lower than that.

yes, it is the worst operating system of modern time, and it had the ability to do more damage to America than al-qaeda ever could.
    win 98 > win ME

win 2k >> win 98

:)

3. nothing

nothing Advertisement

Feb 24, 2002
    Brandon, MS
    even win95a is better. I'm not even sure if winme qualifies as an operating system.

4. sideshow

sideshow Hockey Fan

Sep 13, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    POS ... move to an NT-based product (2K or XP).

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Win ME is second worst. The worst was "Bob". ;P Now, that was a POS. I don't even know if you could consider that OS. It was more like somebody's bad hallucination of a user interface. One way or the other, Win ME is still a puke.

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    I think I'd prefer WIN 3.11 for workgroups over ME.

DanH

7. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

Apr 13, 2004
    me is crap. ms disbanded the development/support team within a year of its release.

get it off those machines.

8. grenadier

grenadier

May 4, 2000
    Alabama
    For those of you old enough to remember the old video game "Berzerk,"

Microsoft Bob = Evil Otto

Agreed. It was an attempt by Micro$oft to make Windows 98 more Mac-like, and with awful consequences. It was a resource hog, and still gave memory caching problems, and that Micro$oft took out many of the good features from Windows 98.

The only reason why it was even used, was because it did support Direct X, whereas those using Win NT 4.0 (or earlier) were stuck with DX 3.

Fortunately, Windows 2000 changed all of that, and finally gave the Windows users a real 32 bit operating system that had much better hardware support, as well as DX support. The former was critical, as now many a user of a VIA-chipset motherboard (ugh) could actually get a stable, working system that didn't suffer from the various bugs.