close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

IS Update Worthwhile?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AwwNaww, Apr 10, 2012.

1. AwwNaww

AwwNaww

I have a very early model 22 (serial nm1xx, 1990) that has been shot little and never seen Glock for updates. I know there was a trigger group recall. There is no functional problem with the pistol. I contacted Glock and they said it was under warranty still and they would install some updated parts. Like anyone, I hate to ship the pistol and am uncertain as to the value of the "updated" parts. I am not knowledgeble about Glocks....do I have anything to gain from the factory update? thanks!

2. Tomass

Tomass

I have a month old G17 Gen 4 that I just sent back to Glock for updated RSA and ejector. If I trust Glock for the initial purchase, I trust them fort updated parts and care of my gun. Not happy but willing to let them make it right.

3. ijacek

ijacek

Early model G22, if there is nothing wrong with it, and shoots fine, I would leave it alone. Sure as hell would not send it to Glock, for they just might upgrade the frame to something newer. And if you really feel the need to upgrade the parts, find an Glock Armorer and have him order the parts.

4. thedave8

thedave8

not the same update.....the update was for potential for accidental discharge, etc from what I understand.............On My early G20 , I noticed with the slide off, pulling the striker/firing pin back so it is behind the firing pin safety plunger, that I could still feel /see pin protruding fom breechface.....never acted up, but I wasn't gonna risk it.
    The parts in question are black in question, so if yours are black you know they are original....shiney, you should be ok. I would find a Glock armorer near you to upgrade it for free without sending it away....

5. AwwNaww

AwwNaww

Thank you. I just didn't want to find out they have a 40 pound trigger spring just for me......then there is the shipping aspect.

6. dkf

dkf

If it ain't broke don't fix it.:dunno: If you still want to "update" it you could buy the parts and install things yourself. This is not a swiss watch its a simple pistol. By doing things yourself you get to keep the old parts just in case.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. thedave8

thedave8

simple test though.....firing pin sticking out breechface is not a good thing, whether its malfunctioned or not.....there's a first time for anything.....wouldnt want to blow a hole in something just by chambering a round..........if my firing pin didn't protrude i woulda left it alone......so just check yours......

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It's actually a 39.5# trigger with your name on it.:rofl:

Any Certified Glock Armorer can order a free upgrade kit for you, or you can go to any outdoor GSSF (Glock) match and have it upgraded, free, while you wait. Schedule of matches is at www.gssfonline.com

9. Leathernecker

Leathernecker More Glocks!

I've got a NZ-series G22 that I bought new way back when.

It had the original NY trigger spring in it which I've kept since it is really different than the one that is in use now. But, yeah, I installed the updated parts and haven't had the first problem with it before or since.

10. vis35

vis35

The purpose of the up-grade is to give the firing pin safety more engagement with the firing pin. To do that they had to replace the firing pin and the safety, then they had to change the extractor to give more clearance for the safety and change the trigger bar to one with a longer cam area to move the safety plunger.

If the gun is a shooter go ahead and up-grade it, you are making it a safer gun. If you want the gun as a collection piece I can see leaving it alone, I have an early first gen 17 that I have not up-graded for just that reason, I want that early gun with all the early features.

As an armorer I often do these up-grades for people, if they want them I will give them their old parts to keep, however I must make it clear to them that the old and new parts are not compatible; you cannot use an old style extractor as a spare if you break the new one.

Generally when Glock sends me the up-grade parts they will also send me any other parts that may have been improved to put in as well, like ejectors, recoil springs slide lock springs, ECT.

11. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Glock six part upgrade: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/upgrade-faq.html

MidwayUSA prices:
    G22 firing pin: $40
    G22 90 degree non-LCI extractor: $18
    .40 non-LCI spring loaded bearing: $2
    9/40 firing pin safety: $3
    firing pin safety spring: $3
    9/40 Gen3 trigger bar: $14
    Total: $80

I'd get a new RSA, trigger spring, and slide lock spring as well. If you send it back to Glock they'll upgrade anything that needs to be upgraded and all you have to pay for is to ship it to them. Though if they find a problem with the frame they'll replace it with a Gen3 frame, or they may replace the whole gun with a Gen3 or Gen4.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  12. AwwNaww

AwwNaww

I really appreciate the info....I will go for the upgrade.

13. thedave8

thedave8

great description!