close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is this safe to reload ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dstanley66, Sep 11, 2012.

1. dstanley66

dstanley66

Apr 13, 2012
    This was federal factory ammo i got from wal world, hope ya'll can see it in this pic.

Attached Files:

2. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    That is a 'guppy' and the brass is unsafe to reload (in my opinion).

What gun were you shooting? It looks like the chamber is pretty much 'unsupported'.

Richard

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

3. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    Wow, I've shot and loaded a pile of 40s through gen 3 Glocks and never had one look that bad. I probably wouldn't reload it.

4. dstanley66

dstanley66

Apr 13, 2012
    This came out of my brother's s&w sd.40 ve not my glock, but i collected all the brass together so i could reload it, but i have now separated these from the others, just a little worried about reloading these.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. Chris Chris

Chris Chris

Jul 2, 2010
    Florida
    I would throw that brass away. And, have the gun that fired it checked by a competent Glock Armourer. There is much more wrong there than the Federal brass.... which I have been reloading for 40 years without a problem.

6. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    IMO, no. Brass that has stretched that much now has a weak spot. If the case were to align exactly the same way in the chamebr, you could suffer a blowout there. Sure it's a small %%%, but it's a 1c piece of brass, toss it.

7. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Why would you have a Glock armorer check it when it's a SW pistol?

8. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I wouldn't throw that brass out. I'd save it until I hear back from Federal and SW as to why it is so ****ed up. That brass should not be reloaded. And no, a push through die wouldn't make it safe, just the opposite.

9. dstanley66

dstanley66

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks Wiskyt, I'm going to get up with my brother and check out his barrel to see if it may be unsupported at the feed ramp, theses will be throwed in the scrap bucket .

10. To me not safe to reload.

Never seen a guppy belly from a S&W which makes me wonder if it's just a weak piece of brass which is thin towards the base, a factory overload from Federal, or possibly something mixed in from another gun.

All the Best,
    D. White

11. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    I've been loading 40s&wFor years and never seen one that bad. 40s&w is to easy to come by to risk it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  12. dstanley66

dstanley66

Apr 13, 2012
    About 100 or more, but I tossed them on scrap bucket yesterday .

13. dstanley66

dstanley66

Apr 13, 2012
    Thanks for that thought Fred, I ran a few thru the sizer die this evening just to look and see what it would look like, and there is a very small crease in it,I can feel it with my finger nail. I think that will be a weak spot and is a NO NO RELOAD !!! I like my fingers to much to take a chance. I just started reloading so the more I learn the safer I can be. THANKS

14. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

Mar 14, 2010
    On the move ... again!
    If you have one hundred factory cases (not reloaded) in that kind of shape, I would call the ammo maker ASAP. They need to know for safety's sake and you may get some free replacements (gun & Ammo).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  15. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
  16. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

Nov 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I definitely would NOT reload that piece of brass. Like Airhasz said above, when in doubt, throw it out...

17. g363

g363

Sep 15, 2012
    Hey, I'm a noob here, but I can't help wonder about that picture. You said that was Wally world Federal ammo. That looks for all the world like a classic indication of excessive chamber pressure.

Any other evidence of high pressure? Any imprinting on the face of the brass? How did the primers look? Any possibility that that gun is causing excessive setback?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  18. glk36lvr

glk36lvr

Oct 5, 2010
    Yep ...toss it. That is a sign of high pressure. Factory ammo can and has been loaded hot accidentaly before.