close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

is this pistol to big to carry concealed?

Discussion in '5.7 X 28mm Club' started by crash_gsxr750, Feb 16, 2012.

1. crash_gsxr750

crash_gsxr750 Arrows first

Apr 22, 2008
    after doing a take down and seeing that FN combined the recoil spring on the barrel (thought this was genius) I'm very impressed with the design of the gun (haven't shot it yet) I really like the uniqueness of the round and really want to pick one up (five seven pistol)

curious if anyone is carrying one IWB or otherwise, the thing sure is very light weight.

though its no .357 mag in the power factor, and i know i wouldn't want to get shot with it, do people generally believe its a viable SD round?

2. 20SFLV

20SFLV

Nov 5, 2011
    I carry it in a Crossbreed holster which is IWB. Any IWB in that type of design should allow you to conceal the FsN comfortably unless you are a short person. It might not be that comfortable for you then, but I wouldn't know.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    It's thick across the back of the slide, but narrow up front. The grip isn't bad, and it's extremely light. It is not impossible to carry concealed. It will require a good holster, but that's true of a lot of popular ccw handguns.

5. UselessEnergy

UselessEnergy simple user

Feb 24, 2013
    South Central PA
    Ive fired about 10rds out of a friends and loved the experience - Its certainly a unique handgun

In terms of carry, it depends on your body type and your wardrobe. Ive carried a glock 20 before, you just have to make certain that wind and other variables dont "display" the weapon

Correct me if I am wrong, but, I thought that certain military forces use the 5.7 as their side arm???

Its velocity is soo impressive that its truly, imo, a viable SD platform

6. ripley16

ripley16

Dec 10, 2007
    Virginia
    People carry full sized duty guns all the time. The size presents concealment problems that smaller guns don't, but all that's needed is your willingness to do what is needed to hide the pistol. A quality holster and adequate cover is all that's needed.

The 5.7 round is a very lethal round with excellent qualities, primary of which is the ability to penetrate but not over-penetrate. It causes a large but short wound channel. The energy is comparable to a 9mm.

It's a great gun, no doubt. It is fun, accurate, easy to use and shoot well. It's also loud and, depending on the ammo, creates an impressive muzzle flash. Double up on your hearing protection, especially if shooting inside.

7. gvf

gvf

Jun 25, 2007
    It's used by 20 -30 LE and Military Units in europe, many: Special Teams. I don't think they all just ran out to find an ineffective gun and round.

I mentioned the same point to two vets of the Iraq War, COMBAT Vets. When they heard what I was concerned about, the 5 x 7 being enough for SD, they both laughed, they didn't use it over there but knew of those who did (who and from where they didn't offer). One of them said:

"Man, NOBODY walking away from a mag of THAT!"

I believe the bullets, on top of going 2000 fps, yaw and tumble when they hit. Very bad for those hit.

They are great for CCW, what other full-size gun, fully loaded, is there with weight like a toy-gun?

Because it's Full Size just get a holster that keeps it tight to the body in OWB if you wear those. I do and it covers easily under my usual open leather vest. It would also under a long baggy shirt, a sport coat, any of the usual covers for a mid-size CCW, Because this one is full-size, the rest of the trick is a good holster as described. I use a Safariland paddle holster, but want one that keeps the gun even closer to the body. When time permits I'll look.

HEADS UP TO YOU AND ALL!!! :

WARNING: Do not use the Galco Jak holster with the 5.7 even though it's listed as a gun that will fit it. It will, but the holster rides BETWEEN the belt and pants. What happened to me trying that Jak holster was that the pressure of the belt on the holster and gun:

Made the Safety come off upon drawing the gun! Or for all I could see in there, it might have come when first holstered. Even More DANGER.

And of course there's IWB as well, I'm sure easiest to conceal. I just don't like them.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  8. ewetstone

ewetstone

Nov 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    I carry the FsN in a custom leather OWB slide holster and it really feels great. Quite a difference between carrying this vs my full size 5" 1911.

I carry it with several mags of custom made 5.7x28 designed for SD/HD with maximum explosive expansion and penetration.

9. gvf

gvf

Jun 25, 2007
    Yes there are many in Europe (FN is a European manufacturer) that are speciality LEO or Military Units, check google, Wikipedia has a list of you search under "FM Five Seven" and at the bottom there's a list but it's likely outdated. I think it was or is used by Secret Service, perfect gun for taking out an assassin in a crowd of innocents.

As I said in my other post, the round yaws and tumbles at 2000 fps; look at the length of the round, imagine having that at 2000 fps turning cartwheels in your guts?

I think LEO rounds shatter AFTER entry, so you have little pieces of metal at super-speed making holes deep within the body all over the place, quick damage to multiple neurological and circulatory areas.

I read somewhere of someone hit in the neck with a round from the gun having their cervical spine completely shatter like it exploded.

Hate to talk like this but we are involved necessarily with body damage if we use a gun for Self-Defense. It's reality and necessary to speak of it. (And don't think Prosecutors in an SD trial don't know how to use this with a Jury).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015