close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Is this legal to ship to CA?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Knighj1, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Knighj1

Knighj1

Jan 11, 2007
    AL
    Is it true that I can disassemble glock 19(15 round)magazines and ship them to resident in California to legally own?
    I have seen multiple links to where this is the case and it is ok. Is there any way I can get in trouble?

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/LegalCaliforniaMagazines
    http://www.44mag.com/product/high_capacity_magazine_repair_kits/
    https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/rifle-44/magazines-64/
    http://www.rrcfirearms.com/rebuild_kits_faq.cfm
    http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. SCC

SCC Member Me

Jun 10, 2007
    kennesaw GA.

3. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    I would not advise doing so. Read the law carefully before you do. The state or federal DOJ just might be chicken s@#$ enough to bait you into it.

4. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Oct 20, 1999
    Maine USA
    CA people tell you that all the time. They claim they are spare parts.
    I disagree with their interpretation of the CA law.
    Maybe they should work harder to have representatives who actually regard the constitution!

5. Knighj1

Knighj1

Jan 11, 2007
    AL
    Thanks guys, Im sure he is legit, but I am not going to take the risk. I hate it for him, but if my butt is on the line Im out.

6. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    Some of us do.

7. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
  8. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    good decision, unless you know the person or is a friend don't do it and even then I will mail it in two parts, on different days.

9. So what federal law would I be breaking sending normal or high cap mags to CA when they are legal to send anywhere? CA law says "THEY" can't do it, but I'm not in CA and have not broken the law here by shipping it.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

10. Pot, meet Kettle, I've seen the reps your state elected. You can disagree all you want, and your interpretation is worth only your opinion.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

11. tonyparson

tonyparson

Jan 20, 2008
    Dayton, TN.
    Places like Copes will take a mag apart and send it to places like Ca. as a parts kits. If it legal for them why wouldn't it be legal for me?

12. bobtheelf

bobtheelf

Sep 3, 2012
    Nashville
    It's a stupid fuzzy grey area of the law. You can, if they are truly to be used for spare parts for pre-ban mags.

If the intent is to assemble them in to full mags, then it is illegal.

13. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Eutopia
    I know in MD our law says you cannot purchase/sell/offer for sale/manufacture magazines with a capacity over 20 rounds. Nothing regarding possession. If I receive a "parts kit" from 44mag.com or any other such site, it's legal for them to send me said parts. In order to stay legal I would have to travel to PA (closest/shortest travel time) to re manufacture the mag as whole again, then come back home.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. 153

Dec 31, 2011
    Spare parts are OK, but when you take apart and send a complete magazine you are violating the "spirit" of the law and skating on the edges of the "letter" of the law.

It's ok to get a new base plate or spring for a magazine the "Californio" has owned prior the ban, but assembling a new mag from parts is verboten.

Sending parts to the PRK is not a legal violation, assembliing them into a "new" magazine is.

15. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  16. GLJones

GLJones

May 16, 2000
    Orlando, Florida
    Typical unconstitutional law. It is "Up to the Prosecutor" is just code for "we made the law unclear so we can decide who is a criminal."

17. NCHeel

NCHeel

Jan 20, 2006
    Charlotte N.C.
    Hoe could you get in any trouble? It is California law, not Alabama or federal. Ship away.

18. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    It is 100% legal to disassemble hi cap mags and ship them here. I can name 20 companies that do this exact thing. Most places charge an extra fee, usually $1 or $2 to disassemble the mags.

It is illegal for the recipient to assemble the mags but they may be used for parts or to completely rebuild legally owned pre-ban mags. It is legal in CA to own and use hi cap mags unlike some other states like New York.

I own hi cap mags from before the ban and use them all the time. Of course if you don't feel comfortable sending them as parts then don't do it. But you can not get in trouble for doing so.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  19. XDRoX

XDRoX

Jan 24, 2009
    San Diego
    I also forgot to mention that many stores here sell hi cap parts kits including the glockstore.